What's new

Reveal day-which dntrade member applied for a new TLD?

Honan

Top Contributor
Do you have a link to ICANN reveal day, please ?
Is reveal day last night or tonight?
Which dntrade member applied for a new TLD?
I am just guessing that one of the the money bags on this forum stumped up with the $200k deposit

aus11

Top Contributor
Pretty risky move for the Aussie going for .book don't you think?

$200,000 for a domain that Amazon is most likely going to get? (it becomes a bidding war when there are multiple applicants doesn't it?)

Basically throwing $200k down the drain if you ask me...:rolleyes:

snoopy

Top Contributor
"YELLOWPAGES" Telstra Corporation Limited

Perhaps the poster boy of new tld stupidity?

payattention

Archived Member
Thanks for putting that together James.

I'm disappointed to see Webjet (I hold) on the list. I can never get a response from the CEO Richard Noon (let's see if he's using Google Alerts) regarding their SEO strategy. Seems like an utter waste of money and I wonder if it's their intention to move the existing sites to .webjet (that would be a mistake IMO).

Devils advocate -what's the angle here for a company like Webjet? I've had a bit of a think and perhaps it's just a bit of PR. Flight Centre and Wotif are both absent from the list and perhaps it's an opportunity for Webjet to look like trendsetters, tech savvy or whatever. Perhaps it'll have a positive affect on the shares. The perception alone could potentially be worth the money even if they have zero intention of actually using the extension.

Honan

Top Contributor
"YELLOWPAGES" Telstra Corporation Limited

Perhaps the poster boy of new tld stupidity?

Shaded to the winning post by the post office's stupidity of wasting the stamp collection cash on .AUSPOST
Really, dot aupost? What is the logic behind that?
At least the yellow pages are global

snoopy

Top Contributor
Perhaps it'll have a positive affect on the shares. The perception alone could potentially be worth the money even if they have zero intention of actually using the extension.

Shareholders could care less about something like that, it is about as exciting & earth changing as them sponsoring ten pin bowling.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Shaded to the winning post by the post office's stupidity of wasting the stamp collection cash on .AUSPOST
Really, dot aupost? What is the logic behind that?
At least the yellow pages are global

Didn't see that one, I'd say it is even worse, because at least Telstra isn't using public money and the shareholders can decide to "opt out" of the company.

payattention

Archived Member
Shareholders could care less about something like that, it is about as exciting & earth changing as them sponsoring ten pin bowling.

I don't care less but I'm biased as I have an interest in domains. I still think it's a waste of money but not much in the scheme of how much company's waste.

Bit more information I dug up.

One business eagerly awaiting its ICANN application and reviewing the applications of rivals is online travel company Webjet, which has applied for .webjet.

Managing director John Guscic said the company would be curious to see what its rivals had planned, but its focus would be to maximise the value of its .webjet domain.

"This gives us the opportunity to create the .webjet brand that will promote the authenticity of webjet on a global scale," Mr Guscic said.

"We did debate internally whether things like .cheapairfares, .cheaphotelrooms, etc, are worth pursuing, but our view was that the underlying brand is worth pursuing because it allows us to establish valuable second tier names like cheapairfares. webjet or bali.webjet, etc."

and

The managing director of online travel agent Webjet, John Guscic, said Webjet had applied for top-level domain ".webjet".

He said that having one's own top-level domain would give the company more secure ownership of its brand and stop "squatters" from using the Webjet name on sites that had nothing to do with Webjet.

"Someone else owned webjet.com.cn, another squatter owns our name in South Africa, another squatter owns our name in Sweden - you've got to pay these guys off, and you have to go through a long process to get control," Mr Guscic said.

"With this (the new top-level domain), we have control over our own destiny."

helloworld

Top Contributor
I don't care less but I'm biased as I have an interest in domains. I still think it's a waste of money but not much in the scheme of how much company's waste.

Bit more information I dug up.

and

Actually on that note, check my blog above as I mention NAB and have a quote from them in a similar vein.

snoopy

Top Contributor
One business eagerly awaiting its ICANN application and reviewing the applications of rivals is online travel company Webjet, which has applied for .webjet.

Managing director John Guscic said the company would be curious to see what its rivals had planned, but its focus would be to maximise the value of its .webjet domain.

"This gives us the opportunity to create the .webjet brand that will promote the authenticity of webjet on a global scale," Mr Guscic said.

"We did debate internally whether things like .cheapairfares, .cheaphotelrooms, etc, are worth pursuing, but our view was that the underlying brand is worth pursuing because it allows us to establish valuable second tier names like cheapairfares. webjet or bali.webjet, etc."
and

Quote:
The managing director of online travel agent Webjet, John Guscic, said Webjet had applied for top-level domain ".webjet".

He said that having one's own top-level domain would give the company more secure ownership of its brand and stop "squatters" from using the Webjet name on sites that had nothing to do with Webjet.

"Someone else owned webjet.com.cn, another squatter owns our name in South Africa, another squatter owns our name in Sweden - you've got to pay these guys off, and you have to go through a long process to get control," Mr Guscic said.

"With this (the new top-level domain), we have control over our own destiny."

My bet would be if they do change to it they'll change back when they see the level of confusion. I don't think this solves any issues with trademarks really. If webjet has a presence in china people will still be going to webjet.com.cn, china.webjet or cn.webjet will never be a natural fit. Not much point controlling a desert.

payattention

Archived Member
I guess the cost of the extension isn't really a big deal but rather the problems it'll create further down the line might cost them more in lost business.

If I want to book a flight to Bali (or anywhere else for that matter), I go to webjet.com.au but if they launch bali.webjet, will I be redirected there? Will they advertise the URL and lose traffic from people going to bali.webjet.com.au if they fail to setup a subdomain or redirect. Will people begin to use destination + brand search phrases more and more? Flight Centre are currently bidding on "bali webjet" and that could result in Flight Centre (wonder if webjet even know) getting more PPC clicks. Just look how many people google facebook.com instead of typing it into the address bar.

As for the China example - if they launched beijing.webjet, I'm guessing whoever owns webjet.com.cn will simply add the subdomain beijing.webjet.com.cn which would probably get a little traffic in the confusion.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo