1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Retail Price increase for .au names?

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by djuqa, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Mick

Mick Membership: Community

In that case you should be using Crazy Domains, they'd be the cheapest?

2. asantha

asantha Membership: Community

I think godaddy is the cheapest
    onlydomains seems good

3. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    This post isn't targeted at anyone in particular, but I think if you concentrated more on developing your business rather than complaining, you wouldn't be so affected by a $5 increase.

If you want to transfer your portfolio, just do it and stop complaining. No one is stopping you!

PS. Yes I do think Ventra should have communicated this better to existing clients, especially those of us with 100+ domains with them.

4. nina

nina Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I must say I've just gone back to the site and I didn't look down the bottom of the resell domain page which does indicate $99.00 fee to sign up. Had I known that I don't think I would have signed up.

I suggest that VentraIP put that on the home page in big bold letters to make it clear that there is a 99.00 charge. I don't see why I should pay for sign up to be a wholesaler.

I can understand why it might be necessary to some money in the kitty towards domain registration - that would be fair enough but a flat fee of $99.00 for what? I don't know.

I think perhaps VentraIP don't see the value of high volume domains. I'm going to look at only domains.

5. nt81

nt81 Membership: Community

Crazydomains Wholesale (Dreamhost) want like $110 to sign up as a reseller. So that isn't really anything new.
    https://www.crazydomains.com.au/resellers/application/

TPP Wholesale is a free signup. Go figure.

Personally, I think access to a wholesale type system (if it has API access) is worth $100. So, I don't see what the issue is.

6. James

James Membership: VIP

$5 increase per domain is not that bad, but yes when you have like 70-100 domains it does add up quickly.

I think it is basic PR and Marketing and customer curtsy, if you make a change like this you release a PR release and explain why the change is happening, give the customers reasons to keep them happy.

Or then you have 50-100 customers who jump ship with a few thousand domains it will add up as a business loss, yet I guess they have run the numbers and can see the profit from existing customers in the long term is worth the "increase".

I think Ventra is a good company, but I have felt poor communication from them a few times in the past.

I will still stick with the business but yeah some lessons to be learnt.

7. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

I'd haphazard to guess that most ddomainers don't buy other services like hosting. I personally like to keep my domains and hosting seperate. There is little to no money in domains at the rates they were charging.

That said, one would presume by this move Ventra has hit a point where they're saying "ok,. we don't need mass clients anymore". You know the old story, whoever spends the most on advertising wins. If you've built your brand up on cheap domains and then charge a considerable increase then you're going to lose customers ... but then again human nature is stick with the beast you know, so it's probably a non issue now. Shit if they want to sell to melbourne IT down the track they need to be profitable lol

1 person likes this.
  8. m8e

m8e Membership: Trader

Go Wholesale

If you have a few dozen+ domains then go wholesalesystem.com.au

You won't regret it, IMHO it is one of the best interfaces for managing domains in AU that I've yet had the pleasure of using.

Plus (better than most of the others), they have 2 factor authentication (I use the android app, but there are other alternatives, including SMS like your bank does... or should!)

Fabulous charged me $50 to join their 2-factor authentication service (they sent me a USB key), but you get 2-factor included for free with wholesalesystem.com.au

And for god's sakes people stay away from GoDaddy. Yes they may be slightly cheaper depending on exchange rates, but read the horror stories on DNForum.com

One takedown complaint about one of your domains and they lock your whole account and ALL your domains... ultra-bad.

Plus as my good mate and co-founder of my 1st company always said... it's better to work with a company who is in "hitting distance" (i.e. punch in the arm ;-)

And while Ventra probably aren't right next door, at least
    1. they are Aussie
    2. they take the time to post on this forum and discuss with you directly, listening to feedback, and hopefully taking it on board

As an independent domain owner who's been playing the game longer than most, that's my take on it.

(YMMV)