1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Retail Price increase for .au names?

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by djuqa, Feb 24, 2014.

1. djuqa

djuqa Membership: Trader

It appears the price for com.au / .net.au has increased to $24.95?

2. nt81

nt81 Membership: Community

Ouch

3. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    That price isn't unreasonable

1 person likes this.
  4. asantha

asantha Membership: Community

Seems like godaddy is the cheapest now

5. angelogiuffrida

angelogiuffrida Membership: VIP

I don't think I failed maths, but $24.95 is < $29.98 in my books.

6. FirstPageResults

FirstPageResults Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    We had it good for a long time there, cashing in on the loss leader :)

Ventra seems to be working on improving their customer service as of late, so I presume the price increase is indicative of that change

7. asantha

8. nina

nina Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Are they going to have some sort of wholesale agreement?

The price might not seem that unreasonable, but when you're not informed and you go in to transfer in some domains, it does add up.

If I've got 100 or more domains there, that adds up, and I feel that courtesy email saying there is a price rise on the go would have been nice.

Their customer service is just ok, given that they take the money for transfers in and if the transfer in isn't successful, they don't refund unless you hound them and the tickets are closed often in a shorter time than the transfer occurs.
    That's not just a small increase - it's 25%. I can tell you if I did that my customers they'd have a thing or to say, particularly with no notice.

I'm in two minds now.
    Just my thoughts on the topic.
    Nina

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

Yes I agree.. it's not unreasonable, but as a customer I would have expected a courtesy Email as well.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mick

Mick Membership: Community

If you base the pricing on renewals as you'll most likely need to renew and not just register then,
    .com.au± -- A$14.99/year
    2 year registration required

11. Mick

Wholesale pricing hasn't changed. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. nina

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Right well then I guess I'll just move them to my tppwholesale account. It appears then I don't have a wholesale account with them/VentraIP - just the normal one..

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  13. VentraIP

VentraIP Membership: VIP

FYI, the prices that are in the DNtrade list are not accurate. GoDaddy has a price for your first domain name, but the rest are charged at the higher rate. Same applies to Crazy Domains. They also charge a different renewal price.

We have always maintained a flat price that is all-inclusive. You don't pay extra for DNS hosting, email forwarding, ID protection, etc, which can be up to $8 per year per domain name.

Our price has been undervalued in the market for quite some time, but we are still the best value registrar that also gives you quality Australian support.

If you would prefer to send your money overseas to companies like GoDaddy and Crazy then that is your choice, but the majority of our customers want to support Australian businesses just like you want your customers to support your local business.

14. nina

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I like the fiery justification here :) 25% increase, when you log into an account, with no notification, not on your blogs or anywhere when we log into manage domains.

I support Australian. I also support farmers and don't buy that 1.00 per litre milk. So the support Australia thing is one aspect but I can tell you when it comes to hosting and domain names - most people don't really care.. just as I have to tell my clients who say my hosting is not the cheapest because I actually pay for Australian hosting, Australian backup, Australian traffic because I agree with you. I have lost business because people don't care but I still stand on my soapbox and shout to those who listen that it's important to support Australia - I even emailed the Australian Made website to let them know they should support Australian Hosting, but to no avail. Some things people just don't see the value.

My comment is that if I went to do this to my clients got sent an invoice of a 25% increase in fees, with no email or notification, then they too would have a thing to say.

Now, because you didn't do this, you're all defensive.

Perhaps next time you might think about letting people know, or as I said earlier - it's a good way to filter out the type of clients you don't want. Those who purchase domains without the hosting... because I pay for hosting my sites with a top 5 Australian company who gives me support that lets me sleep at night. And I have my own servers so that is why I have not hosted with you.

And I bought certificates through you but it was so difficult and expensive I had to look overseas because I have no answers to clients who ask me why they can get prices cheaper elsewhere.

It's a tough world. Try being in the travel business.. I learnt that's a whole world of pain that too.

Sorry VentraIP if you feel my comments are harsh. I was just surprised. And the last lot of problems I've had moving my .co domains has made me have to put the sum of .. hard work and more expensive.. something has to give.

Nina

2 people like this.
  15. asantha

I am thinking to upgrade my account to wholesale , but will you change wholesale price soon?

I agree with Nina, I would appreciate if there was a notification , thread or an email

16. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

As a fairly loyal customer I'm not happy with the 25% price increase for renewals, new registrations and no announcements also.

Hopefully VentraIp will have a rethink and go back to $19.95 to save us moving names / registering new names with other companies instead

Onlydomains.com.au price is still $19.90 and has all the free bells whistles needed...Including live human telephone support and fast responses with no extra costs / "Urgent Ticket fees"

This page will need an update https://www.dntrade.com.au/domain-registrars.php

1 person likes this.
  17. Mick

Prices will always change due to an array of AUD/USD, registry prices, etc. We can't guarantee that if you sign up today you'll have the same pricing for the life time of your wholesale account.

18. Mick

If you have a decent amount of domains you should be using wholesale. ;)

If you need an urgent response thats the only reason you'd use it, otherwise there is no charge. The same applies to our wholesale customers as well, the option is there if its needed. :)

19. James

James Membership: VIP

Would be good if their was a email to update customers on the price increase 25% increase on 60-100 domains ads up. Their seems to be a push to get people to sign up to wholesale. Might have to be done with this new movement in price.

20. James

James Membership: VIP

AUD is around 0.90 it has been the same for a while (several months) even lower, sure it is not 1/1 yet that is only a 10% drop, not 25%?