What's new

restore zipfile question

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Somehow i have managed to make all the zip files on my computer word documents (see attachment) So now i can't not open or do anything with them

This all came about when unzipping a file and asked where i wanted to put it (documents) i then tried to open it and it would not open and to make things worse when i went back to 'downloads' all the zip files had changed ???

What were once yellow folders are now while document looking objects with word on them ??

On a day where i am trying to do my first ftp ...........this is doing my head in and i have basically lost the day

Any suggestions ??

Attachments

• download ss.jpg
    download ss.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 6

Ash

Top Contributor
Could it be as simple as changing the file extension back to .zip? Not being smart, but this would be the first thing I would try

johno69

Top Contributor
Right click a .zip file. > Properties > Opens With > Change

Then select the program you want .zip to open with.

Try that.

You may want to show file extensions to help.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Nothing is considered 'smart' it's all helpful

It is somehow set to open with word

Now when i right click i have the option of 'opening with' adobe, explorer, notepad, etc ?

There is no just set back to zip option ....... i did consider this earlier but which would be the correct /normal setting ??

i did the change to adobe and they all changed ......value but then i right clicked and had the option to send to 'zipfile' which i did (only changed one back)

Now there is no option to unzip ?

as a test i sent the new rezipped file to documents and now it will not open ??

what a head f**K ...... says file is damaged or unsupported

Last edited:

johno69

Top Contributor
i did the change to adobe and they all changed ......value but then i right clicked and had the option to send to 'zipfile' which i did (only changed one back)

I have no idea why you did this.

Unless adobe (which adobe product?) is what you choose to open the .zip files with I would suggest not choosing that.

Choose Windows Explorer if you don't usually use any dedicated software.

Or you can always install winrar or 7zip. They will then handle the zip's for you easily and reset file association with it.

I guess the question is 'what are the standard settings'

Windows Explorer

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I did it because i wanted to see what happens (if things changed)

Now you would think windows explorer would have been an option but it is not ??

And when i choose to browse for a default program windows explorer is not on the list ?? Unless it is under another heading ??

And there is the status quo

johno69

Top Contributor
I thought you said explorer was an option.

I'll dig out the old vista machine and check options for you soon

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
the 7zip seems to offer a solution thanks heaps

how to make it default still a little challenge as i can find it but when i click it doesn't move to 'open' box ??

Maybe it is not supposed to be used in that manner ?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Although just a little stumped when i choose to extract file it does not offer a browsing option for me to move them to ??

any ideas ?

Lemon

Top Contributor
Hi,

You need to fix the file association of .zip back to the required program.
I can't remember the steps but if you google "windows file association" i'm sure you will find the answer. PS. I wouldn't use a fixer program probably windows help is the best place to start.

Usually I use winZip for my zipping etc.

Lemon

johno69

Top Contributor
the 7zip seems to offer a solution thanks heaps

how to make it default still a little challenge as i can find it but when i click it doesn't move to 'open' box ??

Maybe it is not supposed to be used in that manner ?

I dont really understand what you mean there.

When you go to change the default program you can browse for the program you want there. Surely the newly installed 7zip is there?

If its frustrating you too much I can login with team viewer and fix it.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Thanks both of you i will have a look into tomorrow as today is footy and beer day !

I was saying that 7zip did not offer me a destination when i went to extract, but it offered to 'extract here' in other words it would extract the files to the downloads folder but did not seem to offer any other choices? .......example being the new folder i had made to move them to ?

But after extracting to the downloads folder i opened up the folder and dragged them over to the filezilla window, at the end of it all the bottom menu bar said 'successful transfers' so i guess i got it correct, although if not, i know i am close and will keep trying

lemon's suggestions seems good because i would like to rerstore back to where i was before

Anyway thanks again

johno69

Top Contributor
lemon's suggestions seems good because i would like to rerstore back to where i was before

That's why I said:

Right click a .zip file. > Properties > Opens With > Change

Then select the program you want .zip to open with.

Usually Windoes Explorer will be a choice, either in suggested programs or expand the other programs section.

I hope you work it out mate, I was very frustrated when this happened to me first time many moons ago.

Winrar gives option to extract to.. (your chosen destination).

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo