What's new

Responsive Websites

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have been wondering a bit about making a site to be responsive and i have come across the
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, scale=initial-1">
Although i did the examples below as an alternative to the above (used together as shown)

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width"
<meta name=“viewport” content=“initial-scale=1”>
~
I am reading people get different results with this meta tag depending on what device they are using at the time. So what is the best solution ??

Also i am seeing different variations of the .css declaration blocks

@viewport{
zoom: 1.0;
width: device-width;

@viewport{
width: extend-to-zoom;
}

@-ms-viewport{
width: extend-to-zoom;
}

I was wondering what do you guys use as a 'standard' ? My crappy little phone does not really get used for mobile browsing but i would like to know what is considered best practice so i can apply it to any of my sites
~
Thanks in advance!

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Might be worth noting the site i am thinking this would be handy for has currently no set width ..... a very simple site with no css at the moment

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
That meta tag doesn't make a website magically responsive.

The standard is to build responsive websites with a framework like bootstrap.

Additionally the standard is to make a website for mobile first and then other sizes, not the other way around as that's more work and the end result isn't as good.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I should clarify - that tag is for scaling.. setting it will do things like wrap text rather than shrink it to fit the screen, and set the zoom level and scale.

Still not what I would call responsive, but it does help

findtim

Top Contributor
ok.......... i'll say it........... just go purchase a F***en template, do you buy petrol or do you make your own? do you but clothes or do you make them?

even if you did buy a template you would still have questions which are cool, like css stuff, but at least you would be on the 10th floor and not in the basement, NOBODY starts in the basement anymore.

the best thing I have learnt is what I am BADDDDD at and faced it, even now I still struggle but at least I know there are others in the world which can do much better then me.

++++ you are probably reading old threads sometimes and that is going to stuff you up.

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Ok i'll say it back ........would you buy a template for www.codephone.com
~
I't already been stated it's a very simple website
~
This is a new thread which has had new questions answered so not really sure where you are coming from, i spent half an hour at the wordpress meet up last wednesday telling people to join the forum ....because it's a good place to ask questions

findtim

Top Contributor
spacey dnt is a great place to ask questions, and i never meant to offend but i can say a VERY well respected member here gave me a kick up the bum once and i branched out of my " studiopress addition" and it was a GREAT thing.

my post was simply a PUSH for you, trying to give you a head start and you own many domainsssssssssss so buy a template and duplicate it over and over again.

i've just created a website and reused it 3 times for different clients, i spent my time on the CSS instead of reinventing the wheel. they will all get different looking websites, they will all be thier colours but i do not need to go into finer responsive code to achieve it.

i think you are just making it to hard for yourself.

and thats what i tell everyone not just you.

hugs, kisses

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
would you buy a template for www.codephone.com

i do not understand why you have lawyers on a domain that says "codephone"

first answer is no i wouldn't, better to just park that domain imo.

but if it was a different domain more suited to the topic then yes, because you are going to have an incredible high bounce rate

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i do not understand why you have lawyers on a domain that says "codephone"

first answer is no i wouldn't, better to just park that domain imo.

but if it was a different domain more suited to the topic then yes, because you are going to have an incredible high bounce rate

tim

Tim the site address is just because it is only a test site to learn on, there are no expectations other than to make simple responsive site based around that idea, you may recall i asked about the google search box the other week, this is just a follow up project to have some fun with and learn a little more. Now the thing is without any css or other additions i asked my housemate to look up the site on his new phone and it basically was a good fit for the screen and that was enough to make me content. But here we are at the end of the day and i now know about terms such as pagewrap and fluid layout, yesterday i didn't so all is good.
~
Please don't send hugs and kisses ...... Send Beer ....LOL

petermeadit

Top Contributor
The HTML and CSS required to create proper responsive design is fairly advanced, and takes quite a bit of work to create manually. Take your time but don't expect to understand it all at once.

Good to see you diving in and having a go at Web Dev, it is rewarding to learn the fundamentals, coding with Notepad or Emacs or something, even vi. In any case, the skills you are teaching your self will be very, very handy.

IMHO, if you have a background based in some kind of tech, formal or informal, it makes a big difference.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
The actual site is www.EasyLawyerSearch.Com and it only exists as in the past i have come across sites such as easysearch.com and lmgtfy.com Chris (admin) also mentioned to me that he knew of a search engine site that traded off being a black screen as it used less power (eco friendly) sales tactics. So we can all rest easy in the knowledge i have one site to play with and one site that has the correct category name ....aint life grand !

petermeadit

Top Contributor
The actual site is www.EasyLawyerSearch.Com and it only exists as in the past i have come across sites such as easysearch.com and lmgtfy.com Chris (admin) also mentioned to me that he knew of a search engine site that traded off being a black screen as it used less power (eco friendly) sales tactics. So we can all rest easy in the knowledge i have one site to play with and one site that has the correct category name ....aint life grand !

I like the idea of the black screen. Will it use green text? :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member