What's new

Research on why not to use .net.au domain

James

Top Contributor
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone had any research on why it is bad to use a .net.au domain for a business?
Any stats on usage rates ect.

Just have a case where a big brand has been advised to use a .net.au and it seems crazy given they have many other good .com.au domains.
James

Sim

I think if you can go back and look at the original intention behind the .net.au domains - they were intended for internet / telecommunications companies (ISPs etc) ... hence the "net".

Stats on usage rates would be interesting too - I'd like to see those.

Personally, I've dropped just about all of my .net.au domains other than those for my core brands, which I hold mostly for protection.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I don't think you'll find and good stats on it, it is common sense and the tld has so little usage I don't think anyone would have compiled any data.

I wish this tld were "sunsetted" so this problem didn't arise.

Reactions: Tom

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thinking about it a bit more you could look into google keyword tool data on big .net.au sites, like www.abc.net.au vs www.abc.com.au, and any other big .net.au sites if you can find any.

Could also look at old overture keyword tool data.

findtim

Top Contributor
any research on why it is bad to use a .net.au domain for a business
just walk down the street and ask 10 people to name an australian website they know, i bet no one says " ********.NET.au"

thats your stats

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads