What's new

Registrar missing a domain name renewal?

jamie596

Hi All,
I had a situation occur just recently and thought I would see if anyone had any comments........
I had a Domain name which I missed renewing so I contacted the registrar a couple of days later to get it renewed. They issued an invoice for the Domain and I paid it. Thinking it was all sorted I didn't think much more about it until I noticed it on the dropped list.
I spoke to the registrar and they said although I paid the invoice I needed to contact them to confirm it had been paid so they could renew it even though a ticket was created and everything?
Ending up paying quite a bit for it on the drop's
Has anybody else had a similar situation occur?

I will certainly be changing registrars and keeping a close on renewals from now on.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
make sure you have all your facts checked before lodging a complaint so its not your own fault in anyway.

If you choose to lodge a complaint you can here http://www.auda.org.au/form-complaint-registrar.php

Not much can happen in reality but if the name dropped and someone else has it now.

Yes some registrars / resellers have had this happen before due to their own errors

CyberClick

Top Contributor
Hello Jamie,

Yes, I had this happen recently and the domain had actually sold in the drop. I noticed it a few months after when doing an audit. Luckily, I had the receipts, etc and both the registrar and 'new' owner agreed on a solution. If you have the receipts, I'd suggest giving the registrar a chance to fix the problem.

TW

chris

Top Contributor
If you have proof of renewal, definitely pursue it. It should also make it easy to agree on compensation since you got the name on the drops.

I spoke to the registrar and they said although I paid the invoice I needed to contact them to confirm it had been paid so they could renew it even though a ticket was created and everything?

I've never heard of confirming payment to renew before.

Good luck and hope it gets resolved.

Cheers,
Chris

jamie596

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.
I will certainly be taking up with the registrar, I picked the name back up on the Drop's (just) and have a reciept for the registration of the Domain.
It has been suggested that I should not name and shame on the forum but will certainly report back on the result.

chris

Top Contributor
Agree, best to try and resolve it.

All the best with it, let us know how you get on. GL!

Cheers,
Chris

jamie596

Thanks for asking chris...

I spoke with them a week ago and they admitted they made a mistake and it should have been re-registered. They asked what I had to pay for the domain and when I told them it was in the four digits (I think they were rather surprised) they asked me to email all the detail to their feedback email address so it goes to the right person so they can deal with it. I emailed late last week, documenting invoice numbers etc and I am now waiting for a response.

I will certainly post the outcome

Thanks
Jamie

chris

Top Contributor
Thanks for asking chris...

I spoke with them a week ago and they admitted they made a mistake and it should have been re-registered. They asked what I had to pay for the domain and when I told them it was in the four digits (I think they were rather surprised) they asked me to email all the detail to their feedback email address so it goes to the right person so they can deal with it. I emailed late last week, documenting invoice numbers etc and I am now waiting for a response.

I will certainly post the outcome

Thanks
Jamie

Good stuff Jamie, sounds positive :)

Cheers,
Chris

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting