What's new

Ranking single page landing pages

ttfan

Top Contributor
Although I'm quite new here, I've noticed some members here buy domains and put single page websites on them with advertising to generate some income.

Although I can understand how this works when the domain already gets traffic, or gets traffic from people typing the URL, how do you get ranking (and this traffic) from single page websites if the domain just has a good name and does not automatically generate traffic?

I would expect it's hard to get good links to a single page website, as Google probably won't give it much authority. Are these domain only bought to try and make a profit on the sale, or are there other ways to get traffic?

findtim

Top Contributor
this is where EMD's work well, and STILL work well imo.

just provide some quality content with relevant links , make it look nice, there are MANY landing page templates to buy that look really good and cost $20 ? ish which you can use on heaps of sites ( check T&C's )

spending time on developing a full-on domain JUST for adwords etc will probably send you broke, so the landing page is quick, cheap, repetitive, but still costs TIME. thus parking.

as for traffic ! once again TIME, you really have to weigh up your effort and the end return.

its been said a million times but work within what you are interested in, then you can create content yourself and its better quality, 1 landing page about scuba diving that links to tours could do very well.

tim

Chris.C

Top Contributor
This strategy worked better prior to 2013...

It doesn't work so well anymore - advertising revenues will rarely cover the development costs.

My personal opinion is if you are doing to develop a EMD domain these days you need to be ready to build it into something decent. Google won't show much love to anything that is garbage.

findtim

Top Contributor
This strategy worked better prior to 2013...

It doesn't work so well anymore - advertising revenues will rarely cover the development costs.

My personal opinion is if you are doing to develop a EMD domain these days you need to be ready to build it into something decent. Google won't show much love to anything that is garbage.

i can't work out if you are agreeing with me or not?

i found emd's still work when good dev is done for real busineses

and yes google is onto BS EMD MFA sites

tim

designt

Effective SEO is not as hard as it seams, but it takes work, consistency and a few tricks. It is possible to get a singe page or mini website to rank well under selected key-words if you know what you are doing.

What ever you do, make sure you plug some analytics into the page / site you build so that you can see were your traffic is coming from and what key-words are working.

Ultimately knowledge is power and you need to understand who is out there surcharging and what they are surcharging for. If you feed them the write content then Google will lap it up and your Adsence account will reflect this.

You can go out and learn how to do it yourself or you pay someone to do it for you. As mentioned time is money, if you have lots of time and no money then study. If you have money and no time them pay someone.

BUT before you pay anyone I would advise you learn a little so that you understand what you are paying them to do as the SEO industry is filled with Cons and Scammers who will promise the Stars and do jack.

Best of luck with your projects.

James

Top Contributor
One page sites will not work too well in competitive niches on commercial keywords. One page EMD site may work in a low competition niche until their is a algo refresh and they wipe out all the thin content EMD sites which does happen. Sites which are one page with ads above the fold will usually never do well. I have been testing it in different markets for 8+ years.

Further to that it is probably possible to have a EMD rank if the backlink profile is very strong but it may only happen for a short term. To be honest it isn't going to be a long term strategy. All it takes is people to file spam complaints and manual review team can hit your domain, I have seen it happen in competitive niches.

findtim

Top Contributor
One page sites will not work too well in competitive niches on commercial keywords. One page EMD site may work in a low competition niche until their is a algo refresh and they wipe out all the thin content EMD sites which does happen. Sites which are one page with ads above the fold will usually never do well. I have been testing it in different markets for 8+ years.

Further to that it is probably possible to have a EMD rank if the backlink profile is very strong but it may only happen for a short term. To be honest it isn't going to be a long term strategy. All it takes is people to file spam complaints and manual review team can hit your domain, I have seen it happen in competitive niches.

just to be clear .... i agree with james... but i was talking about SMB's using landing pages with valid non duplicated content on EMD's that related directly to their business and thus the end product was given via a link to the main site and no MFA anywhere.

as for people filing spam complaints that is something where i just want to knock on their door and do an "muhammad ali" on them, i've had just a few and it really is just like negative SEO imo. they can't out rank me so they send an email to google.

got this on monday

----------
Hello,

Due to changes in Google Maps, we’d like to inform you that unless you review and confirm some of the information in your Google Places account, we will no longer be able to keep and show it to Google users after February 21, 2014.

As a result, on this date one or more listings in your account may be deleted, namely:

"N**** *****e"

"E***N **** ****ist"

If you wish to keep your listings active, follow these three easy steps:

Review and update your information

Click the "Submit" button for each listing

Sincerely,
The Google Places Team
------------

tim

James

Top Contributor
yeah the more competitive the niche, the more willing people will try and dob you in for any thing to Google. I actually have a client who is on the smaller size 10 people in his business and he had internal information that a large player 1000's of employees filed numerous complaints to Google to take him down.

helloworld

Top Contributor
I guess that makes sense. Big company, plenty of employees. With Kpis to achieve. This if why I take great pleasure in outranking agency sites.

He should name and shame them, James... Plus I'm interested haha

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members