What's new

Prevalence of Young Domainers

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just sitting procrastinating, curious about the prevalence of young domainers (say < 20) in the industry. Would love to hear a lot of your input especially from some of the more experienced members here.

-Do you know many young people involved in domaining?
-Do you think young and willing people should be welcomed by the industry, or shunned?
-Would you recommend the industry to your own kids?
-If there is 1 tip you'd give young domainers what would it be?
-If there is 1 mistake you think all young domainers make, what is it?

findtim

Top Contributor
perhaps it would have been better to put numbers on your point questions.

1) no
2) why would we shunn them? they are often the givers of great insight
3) yes, but is there an age restriction on domain name owners ?
4) join dnt and read read read before making your first purchase.
5) the same all domainers make, buying crap.

tim

I have met a few, they usually have great ideas for online businesses, but often need a lot of hand holding to show them the ropes to implement ideas. Good on them for trying, and in many cases succeeding!

chris

Top Contributor
I've met a few web people at various user group meetings. I think the startup scene attracts lots of young folks and most of them get the importance of a killer domain name.

-Do you think young and willing people should be welcomed by the industry, or shunned?
I think like a lot of tech communities, newcomers can at times be excluded which is a real shame. I think anyone interested should be welcomed, that's something I'm working on.

Yes

My tip would be to look beyond domains and think in terms of online businesses.

This applies to everyone, I think the number 1 mistake is not doing your homework. A domain name that's worth nothing is actually costing you money.

Good questions Scott!

Cheers,
Chris

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Thanks guys, some great insights :)

I'm definitely moving to start branching out into "online businesses" rather than just selling domains. However it's quite time consuming I guess. Maybe it's time I hire an assistant! :p

James

Top Contributor
* I get more young internet markers messaging me saying I inspired them ect, I don't know too many young domainers apart from the ones on her.
* If they play by the rules, let them come into the industry.
* I don't have kids, but if i had them I probably would want them to do something they like, in 25 years the job landscape could be very very different.
* Focus on quality not quantity, for example start off with one really good domain and learn all your internet marketing and dev on that one site, once you learn the tricks of the trade step out to more site.
Buy sites about things you have genuine interest in and it will make things far more easier, In the past i have purchased TLD's and domains around areas where I do not have the passion for the subject matter and the site does not get successful, all sites I have sold XX,XXX+ have been things I really like.

Honan

Top Contributor
-Do you know many young people involved in domaining? YES, 124, 235 worldwide.
Cannot decide. Procrastinating on that decision.
If I did, they would never ever Domain.
-If there is 1 tip you'd give young domainers what would it be? Ask, ask and ask again.There are no stupid questions,only stupid answers. See first answer.:)
Wasting money on entertainment, when they could be investing in my names

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Wasting money on entertainment, when they could be investing in my names

Interesting - I find it too hard to pay for concert tickets or music CD's or computer games... Because of the $$$ signs I see floating off into the distance which could come from domains!

findtim

Top Contributor
gee i like seeing threads like this.

My tip would be to look beyond domains and think in terms of online businesses.

great answer chris, buy BUILD sell , i think thats where the real money is.

execution of the end result is the hardest thing for a domain ( unless you just park) .

Buy sites about things you have genuine interest in and it will make things far more easier, In the past i have purchased TLD's and domains around areas where I do not have the passion for the subject matter and the site does not get successful, all sites I have sold XX,XXX+ have been things I really like.

exactly

tim

Shane

Top Contributor
great answer chris, buy BUILD sell , i think thats where the real money is.

I certainly agree on the build part, but not necessarily the sell part.

Sure, sell some of your projects to look after your cashflow in the early days, but for me the most success I've had is in building and continuing to run my businesses.

findtim

Top Contributor
I certainly agree on the build part, but not necessarily the sell part.

Sure, sell some of your projects to look after your cashflow in the early days, but for me the most success I've had is in building and continuing to run my businesses.

i agree with most of that eg the cashflow but if they are making money then cashflow shouldn't be a problem. the sell bit is more about taking steps up the ladder, you buy the good drops then you buy better drops then you AMA better domains and when things like centralcoast, hobart, etc come up you are there and ready to throw the money at it.

i think some people dislike talking "potential" for domains rather then how many exacts it gets but potential is creating a business and hobart as an example has the potential to be a 100K p/a domain so it was well worth the money..... if you had grown your portfolio and sold some along the way to end up with it.

that growth model of a portfolio i think is a good one for the young domainer.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members