1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Paperless COR + account change

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by Shane, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I've just completed my first COR through VIP (as a buyer) and I can't say I was impressed.

We completed the transfer okay, but I couldn't access the domain. I submitted a ticket, and was told that the seller had to log back in and request an account change.

So why do we have to do an account change as well as the COR? Shouldn't the account change be an obvious result of the COR?

Now I have to chase up the seller again, or alternatively send VIP a request on letterhead requesting the change. So much for paperless...

Having gone through Drop's paperless COR a few times I would have to say their process is 1,000 times better.

Is this the usual process or did something go wrong? It seems like unnecessary double handling to me.

2. Lemon

Lemon Membership: Trader

Sounds silly to me. I would just transfer the domain to another registrar. I don't see why the seller has any rights to control your domain once the COR has gone through.

3. djuqa

djuqa Membership: Trader

I had exactly the same problem and bitch session with Angelo over this.
    Stupid procedure

4. thrown

thrown Membership: Community

+1 I had the same issue. I was the seller and thought something had gone wrong as it was still in my account!

5. VentraIP

VentraIP Membership: VIP

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback on the issue. We're still working through it to optimise it for our users.

We're working on a better explanation in the emails that are sent around after the COR is completed.

Bear in mind that you're performing the COR from our retail interface - VIPControl - so it's most likely never going to meet your needs if you've got a large number of domains in your portfolio. Obviously our wholesale environment would be better suited to this.

However, we are working on making the process more seamless for our users.

Just thought I'd pop here and let you know we're not ignoring you. We do listen to the advice and feedback you give us. :)

Cheers,

Angelo Giuffrida

6. djuqa

I really hope you are not saying that you treat your RETAIL clients differently than you do your Wholesale Clients. Whether a Client has 1 Domain or 1000, the service should be comparable. The 1 domain retail client may very well be testing the waters before using your wholesale system for their large portfolio.
    The worst thing any business can do is to PRE-JUDGE their clientele.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    In future I'm just going to pay $10 more and use Drop for CORs instead. It's not worth the hassle.

8. Mick

Mick Membership: Community

One thing to keep in mind is that the VIPControl system and our domain registrar system are 2 completely separate systems. We keep a clear cut line between the 2 and this is why such an issue is present.

As an example, when we used DIT for performing COR's the process was exactly the same, whereby once the COR was completed at DIT it was up to the original registrant to "push" the domain into the VIPControl account for the new registrant.

Resellers who use our wholesale system will see a completely paperless process as it'll be up to them if they have a custom interface or use our WHMCS module etc.

Our staff are completely separate for our retail and wholesale brands and we're not prepared to mix the two as our wholesale operation is just that, completely separate from our retail.

I'm open to any suggestions, but mixing the 2 operations isn't going to be something we look into it as we're keeping a very clear cut line down the middle. :)

9. VentraIP

That's not what I'm saying at all.

The wholesale system is designed for large portfolios of domain names, whereas the retail system isn't designed to handle a large amount of domains.

Sure it works flawlessly and doesn't affect service delivery whether you use the retail or wholesale system, but as an example, the retail interface doesn't have as many bulk-management features or functionality as the wholesale environment does.

Hope that clears it up a little bit. It has nothing to do with service delivery, or customer service.

Edit: And why would you use a retail environment to test if you had the intention of using wholesale services? That's like saying you'll buy an Economy seat on an airline to test the way they treat their Business customers.

Cheers,

Angelo Giuffrida

10. djuqa

1/ I was not even given the choice of using Retail/Wholesale and until I complained was not even aware there was 2 Systems.
    2/ Despite not knowing about the retail/w'sale dual systems, I always test a suppliers retail interface (whether or not they have a wholesale service), it is often a good indicator of the overall service offered.
    3/ Exactly why are the 2 systems so different?
    4/ If DROP can get it right, so should ventraIP.
    5/ Spend a little less time with 50% off coupons, 2$ of Prices and spend more time on the really important issue.
    CLIENT Satisfaction.

11. Mick

Retail customers and wholesale/reseller customers, the 2 systems need to be different to accommodate the requirements of each, such as a white label interface for wholesale customers to use, brand and display how they want.

Drop are retail only, there is no wholesale/reseller customers to support.

12. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    We don't care about your retail and wholesale businesses or how they are structured.

We just want an easy paperless COR. Drop has delivered, but you guys are yet to.

13. Mick

You wanted an explanation as to why they are different, I answered that for you.

The process is completely paperless, it is up to the original registrant to arrange the domain to be pushed to your account. It can't be any simpler.

14. GGroup

GGroup Membership: Community

Both VentraIP and Drop on-line COR systems have their own idiosyncrasies.

At times, it can be beneficial the VentraIP system doesn't automatically/require transfer to another account.

There are probably elements that could be advanced in both but I would take either on-line COR systems over the old paper method any day.

Great job to both Drop and VentraIP.

15. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

Can I get more info on this? I wasn't aware that it has launched.

16. VentraIP

Hi Shane and djuqa,

Thanks for your non-constructive feedback. I'll be sure to hunt down your businesses on a random forum and tell you how you should run your businesses too.

The facts of the matter are quite simple here:

a) This is a new system. It's just come out of beta and there are going to be bugs with it, and there are going to be scenarios which we haven't thought of or encountered that we will need to investigate further.

b) We are a retail and wholesale business, and just because we haven't opened the wholesale registration process, doesn't mean we're not internally both. But again, it's a new thing for us and there are some blurred lines at the moment which will become much more clearer over the coming weeks as new things start to come online for everybody.

c) I, more than anybody else you'll encounter in this industry, love customer feedback - but only when it's constructive. If you want to sit here and run your mouth, don't expect any of us to listen to you, because I can assure you we won't.

And for what it's worth, before this thread was even started and I overheard Angelo on the phone talking to a customer about this exact issue (could have even been to one of you two), I sat there after the call and said to him "that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of, it HAS to change".

So.. if you have some feedback on the process that is constructive and thoughtful, I am all ears and I will take it all on board. Otherwise, feel free to take your COR's elsewhere to a company who is happy to tolerate attitudes like that, because I assure you there is only one attitude in VentraIP - mine.

Cheers,

Cheyne Jonstone
    Chief Executive Officer

17. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I preface my comments by acknowledging that VentraIP are a sponsor of DNT. (As are Netfleet and Drop).

This has never stopped me in the past (nor will it in the future) raising issues or problems on here and privately about any of them.

I'm on record about the COR. It took a long time to get here, and yes there were and still are some issues. There are also negatives
    for domainers with large portfolios.

But what I like about Ventra is that they listen and they respond to problems and constructive suggestions. Whether it be a ticket or
    an email, or a post on here, you get an answer quickly. If they can help, they do. And before anyone suggests that it is just because
    I'm involved with DNT, let me tell you that I experienced the same way prior!

Ventra have come a long way - and they plan on going either further. They have great prices on domains and hosting, and they have
    excellent service. And make no mistake, they will get their act together on COR's and other stuff - of that I have no doubt.

We can help them get there - constructively. Imho. :)

18. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Really Cheyne?

I came onto DNtrade and made an honest and straightforward post about my experience with the VIP COR process. I finished my post by saying:

Angelo came on and gave a pretty reasonable reply, but this part seems to have thrown a few people, myself included:

I don't have a large portfolio with VIP, but regardless, I don't know how that is relevant since I was only transferring in one domain. Given the apparent differences in service delivery between your two divisions I stated:

Mick them made a post that was irrelevant to my needs, and Angelo followed it up with this:

I was only transferring a single domain, so I don't know why the issue of bulk domains keeps coming up.

Mick then again posted about the differences between the retail and wholesale process, which is entirely irrelevant to my simple question of why, when a COR is processed, is a second effort of changing the account required?

I realise that Mick was replying to DJUQA, but by this stage it was getting pretty frustrating. Why I couldn't get a simple answer to my question, instead of just continually being told about the retail and wholesale divisions and how separate they are.

As a client wanting to transfer a single domain, the ins-and-outs of your structure are not important, and it doesn't answer my question. My frustration was evident in my next post, which is perhaps the first one you could class as "non-constructive":

Now you, Cheyne, the CEO, come out and make threats about hunting down my business and making comments on random forums...

Are you serious???

I simply asked why the need for the double handling, and whether or not this was the normal process. If you guys could fix that, your COR process would be great!

Surely that cannot be classed as non-constructive criticism?

Instead of answering my question in a simple manner (which still hasn't been done) your team has come out with excuses.

Why couldn't someone have just said "yes there is some double handling in the retail system at the moment, but we're working on improving it". Or "yes there is some double handling, but that's the best we can do sorry".

Instead it's blown into something much bigger that has dragged in other DNtrade members.

I've been registering all of my domains with VentraIP over the last few months, but the transfer that kicked of this thread will be my last with your company. Well done CEO.

19. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I have to agree with you Shane - this was an over the top response.

But I'd like to think it was heat of the moment stuff - late at night etc. Perhaps part of the problem too is that there are three different people responding from Ventra.

Anyway, I can see both sides, and I do sincerely hope that Cheyne gets in touch with you and you "kiss and makeup". ;) But if you don't, then I respect your decision.

20. VentraIP

^^^

Care. Because it's important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.