What's new

Panda Changing SEO Strategy

Mat

I recently found out about a writer I hired submitting ripped off content. It got into a bit of a rant about it so I decided to post it to my blog:

http://www.internetmarketingstrategies.com.au/610-content-writing-for-seo-warning

Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of thing before?

And how do you guys go about double checking to make sure your content is 100% unique and original?

Realistically it is difficult. You can run your articles through copyscape (upload to your website, then give copyscape the URL). The free version has limitations as to how many you can check per month.

You can run through various other sites where you can copy and paste the article text and they will do a search. (eg articlechecker.com/)

The thing to remember is that many articles written have been copied and spun. That is, people can use a simple program that loads an article and then they spin the words, sentences and paragraphs and create a multitude of combinations which lead to 100's if not 1000's of possible articles. If, as a native English speaker, the words do not flow 100% correctly, then start to be suspicious.

However, the most common problem with this is they are usually the exact same word count as the original article. To a human eye, you probably wouldn't notice, but for the brainiacs at Google, they have worked this out (of course never officially stated, but rumoured). It, imho, is imperative to create or pay a premium for well researched content for your main ranking sites and for the leading article directories. For lower tiered article directories and junk sites, use spun or cheaper quality articles.

How can you protect against this? Well you can't really. All you can do is try your best to find a reputable article writer and randomly run portions of the article through various copy checking sites.

Otherwise, you'll have to write your own. That is the only way to guarantee unique and original content.

seolyka2

how do you guys go about double checking to make sure your content is 100% unique and original?

I use copyscape.com to check if the content has some duplicate from other sites. I also check it manually by copying every paragraph and pasting it on google search to see if the content has same content with other sites.

Checking manually takes time but it's worth it.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
A recent video post by Rand over at SEOMoz just re-emphasises how the SEO game is changing:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-goog...-seo-best-practices-forever-whiteboard-friday

I didn't realise the Google was getting more heavily into machine learning. I had heard previously that other international search engines are heavily using machine learning, and was interesting to hear that Google wasn't more into this from the beginning.

It will be very interesting to see how future Google updates are influence by this...

James

Top Contributor
Yeah its nothing new,

Make content which people want to share that is good and unique.

But I agree with the comment about been more of a web strategist now in comparison to an SEO.

Shane

Top Contributor
And how do you guys go about double checking to make sure your content is 100% unique and original?

Easy... I just write it myself. :)

I've only used a paid copywriter once, which was on the recommendation of the SEO mob that I use for my company website. The copy was absolutely terrible, and just reinforced my belief that you need to have a passion for (or at least an interest in) the subject you are writing about.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Exactly why I have a copyscape pro account. Great API and can easily check on the web or when I plug things into The Best Spinner.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo