What's new

Pagerank (PR) Update 11/8/2011

coreyg

Top Contributor
It appears that Google made a PR update with many of my websites going up in pagerank today.

Cheers
Corey

neddy

Top Contributor
I'm still discovering PR increases :)

Some people are also discovering PR decreases.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I understand from talking to a few knowledgeable people that PR is not such an important factor these days?

john0909

Hi there,

Im new to DN Trade so firstly id like to say hi!

I recently bought a whole bunch of domains that had PR 3s and 4s, however when I checked yesterday most of them fell to PR 0s and 1s.

They are all similar type domains, they are .com.au, they have 3-4 pages each, have content relevant to the url and have been indexed since 2006-2007.

I bought them due to their age, nothing has been done in the way of content or any changes for a number of years.

I guess I bought them cause they have good url names and the by linking from them to other sites I thought would be good idea given their age and inbound links.

Of course I am concerned that they have drastically dropped in PR value.

Any thoughts? Will links from these sites to other sites be discounted in value do you think?

Cheers, would appreciate any feedback as am relatively new to the SEO game.

Ta, John.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Hey John, so you purchased these from a seller and transferred them over, and not via a drop/expired domain name?

Are they all hosted on the same server? Did the previous owner remove links? Did you interlink them? What sort of new links did you build?

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Hi there,

I recently bought a whole bunch of domains that had PR 3s and 4s, however when I checked yesterday most of them fell to PR 0s and 1s.

They are all similar type domains, they are .com.au, they have 3-4 pages each, have content relevant to the url and have been indexed since 2006-2007.

I bought them due to their age, nothing has been done in the way of content or any changes for a number of years.

I guess I bought them cause they have good url names and the by linking from them to other sites I thought would be good idea given their age and inbound links.

Any thoughts? Will links from these sites to other sites be discounted in value do you think?

Ta, John.

Do they have good quality backlinks?
when checking PR I only use SEOQuake
and this needs to be updated as many pr checker websites show N/A rankings including SEOQuake this has been fixed by using an update For SeoQuake.

If the sites don't have good quality Pr Backlinks or worse no backlinks Your PR will drop.

sorry to hear that some of your rankings have dropped I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

john0909

Hi there Zhenjie,

Interestingly the owner names have changed but the hosting hasnt. They are still running on the previous owner's server, am going to redirect them next week. They didn't drop - the sites are still hosted and running.

So not a single change has happened which has me stumped.

All the inbound links to the sites are still there - I have checked this.

I have not created any new links to the sites either.

Literally nothing has changed from google's view - at least as far as I can tell.

Only the ownership name.

john0909

Hi there Xwdomains,

I used http://pagerank.my-addr.com/ to check the PR, both prior to drop and after the drop in PR values.

SEO quake PR values correlate with the outcome on the above checker. Like you said however, a lot of the inner pages show N/A.

I appreciate that if the links have been pulled then the pR drops - but it appears none of the links have disappeared.

The links are not high PR values but having said that they have remained the same for a long period of time. Some of the links are 4-5 years old so this should be reflected in the older PR rankings reviews by Google I would have guessed.

Ultimately though yes, they have fallen. I just hope that the linking juice from these site remain despite the PR drop..

James

Top Contributor
Hi there,

Ta, John.

Hi John,

My Guess is the person who sold the domains inflated the page rank of the domains with his own websites and then removed the links from his own properties.

You need to check freshness of the links too, some times you can have a site which is a PR5 and then instantly is drops.

Another worrying aspect is that these sites are only 3-4 pages big, that is not a lot of content imo.

For further information on this update you can check out: http://www.seroundtable.com/google-pagerank-update-14267.html

These guys have a good review of the Page rank update,

My advice to all is not to buy Websites based on Page rank look at more factors such as:

- Index age of the website
- Pages the website has ie 3 pages vs 30,000
- Is the website hosted on the same IP
- Placement of the link on page - more information here from a guy I know - http://www.practicalseo.org/blog/link-placement-seo-case-study-2/

Hope this helps.

john0909

Ok thanks for that, I will certainly check it those site for more info.

I agree that not a lot of content in these sites and could well be that.

Cheers!

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Hi there,

Ta, John.

Too hard to say without knowing the history of these domains, but buying purely on PageRank without looking into the link profile is a bad idea.

The inbound links may have been devalued by Google due to poor quality, which in turn has lowered your PR.

Also as James mentioned, the sites sound fairly low in quality, best to add some fresh quality content.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member