What's new

.org.au registration red tape

snoopy

Top Contributor
I'm having issues with registering a .org.au with netregistry / ziphosting for a unincorporated club, insisting on eligibility id numbers etc (there are none to give!). This is despite AUDA compliance people telling me there should be no issues and the problem is with the registrar.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good and cheap registrar for .org.au?

I'm having issues with registering a .org.au with netregistry / ziphosting for a unincorporated club, insisting on eligibility id numbers etc (there are none to give!). This is despite AUDA compliance people telling me there should be no issues and the problem is with the registrar.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a good and cheap registrar for .org.au?
Domain Shield are a DNTrade sponsor and they do .org.au

findtim

Top Contributor
as a footnote, crazy D don't even offer it as a choice anymore
i tried for a client @ 18months ago and it was just to many criteria they wanted !
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
A lot less hoops to jump through!
Yes, it is interesting to be on the "user side" and experience how it works. The club is clearly eligible but its just whole lot of red tape and confusion for something that really shouldn't take long, whereas the .org involves 10 minutes of effort to obtain the domain.

The benefit of a .org.au versus .org I think is minimal for this small club with 20 or so members and not worth the effort to chase. Have noticed of similar Australian clubs about half use .org versus .org.au so I'd say .org.au has major issues in terms of people who are actually eligible not being easily able to obtain a domain. It is not like .com.au where all business have ABN's, a lot of potential .org.au users won't have an "official number" that registrars seem to be relying on. AUDA needs to have a big rethink on it I'd say in terms of how this extension is being implemented by registrars.

Mick

Top Contributor
AUDA needs to have a big rethink on it I'd say in terms of how this extension is being implemented by registrars.
+1. As a registrar it really is a sh*t fight when trying to determine eligibility as it seems to change week to week based on the complaints we receive.

nina

Top Contributor
This is an interesting comment as I saw a couple of .org.au domains drop and I checked who owned them and I saw it was just a pty ltd. Not an organisation at all. There is a bit of inconsistency here from what i'm reading.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
There could be some more to the story too Nina, I know auDA has been enforcing policy so some that are dropping could be due to PD perhaps? You may need to know the individual cases perhaps?

Back to Snoopy's point about the .org.au red tape. Is this a clear case where the registration should have been allowed to be processed?

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member