1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Online Change of Registrant (COR) for .au domains now available!

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by VentraIP, Aug 29, 2011.

1. payattention

payattention Archived Member

Used the paperless COR for the first time over the past few days. Entire process was quick, flawless and headache free. 100x better than the old fax forms off method.

2. VentraIP

VentraIP Membership: VIP

Excellent to hear. :)

3. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I have done about 5 so far and I'm afraid to say it's been far from painless...

I have been double charged twice
    Having to move the domain to the buyer's account after having done the cor is an unnecessary hassle
    Domains that are transferred in which expire are automatically renewed (I know this is true for a lot of registrars) adding to the cost
    The email to the buyers seems to always go in their spam
    There are no status updates or reminders during he process and it's not clear in the system what you need to do at each stage

Personally I much prefer Drops even if it is a little more expensive

4. payattention

payattention Archived Member

I agree that pushing the domain to the buyers account after having done the COR should be done away with but it only took a moment. I'd much rather do that than print out forms, scan them and fax.

As for the process itself, it might be an idea for VentraIP to create a quick video tutorial outlining each step in the process so that buyer/seller can follow along. Perhaps even add a reminder that once the COR is complete, the seller will need to push the domain to the buyers account.

5. GGroup

GGroup Membership: Community

I'm with SeƱor Bahr on this one...

Contrary to popular vote, I prefer this. As I've found most CORs are not VentraIP > VentraIP transfers anyway. But, instead, are transfers out to another registrar.

I thought this was mandatory... or is it one of those, it's-mandatory-only-because-we-all-do-it type deals?**
    **EDIT; scratch that (misunderstood your meaning). Yes this is a major pain in the *ss!

Agree on this one. The Drop process is definitely more descriptive.
    It seems confusion is caused due to the intra-VentraIP-account-move spiel received by the new registrants. It appears to derail the process, right at the end, as there is no mention of an EPP or alike.

... comes down to forcing a new account created at the start (Drop) or the heavily hinted option of a new account at the end (VentraIP) of the process, I suppose. Can't blame either of them for trying ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Too right! Worst I experienced was Austdomains who inisted on a scan/photocopy of my personal driver's licence on company letterhead amongst other forms!

7. sydneyduo

sydneyduo Membership: Community

Hi everyone (and to Mick),

I've been having an extremely frustrating time trying to get the COR done with ventraip (heaps of support emails back and forth). Basically I bought 5 low value transaction domains from seller.

Would like to hear your thoughts, here's an excerpt from the emails:

"1. I told the seller to transfer domains to ventraip as you have the best
    rates for COR (and the domains were close to the expiry anyway).
    2. Seller made a mistake in paying the $19.95 as renewal instead of COR
    3. The domains are somehow in my account, but ownership is still with the
    seller.
    4. I understand that by initiating the COR, it provides the domain with a new
    2-year registration from the date the COR is processed.

Therefore what I'm requesting to your good nature here:
    To have the COR initiated for the domains, and have the registration dates
    expire on the dates assuming that the Seller had initiated COR instead of
    renewing.
    My point is we are not trying to avoid paying for the COR, but the net effect
    is very similar, and it would be ridiculous to pay twice the amount to have the
    same result.

The reply:

"Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately initiating the COR's free of charge for you won't be possible, as will result in a significant loss on our part as we again have to pay for the re-registrations for several domains. Had we been contacted within days of the transfer and renewal we could have reversed the renewal component, and allowed just the fee for the COR - or even been contacted at time of submission to disable the renewal."

Now I'm left with trying to get the seller to pay for the COR, even though I've made all the payment, and the ball is in my court to now initiate the COR and pay the fees (double payment!)

Also, we don't get an email informing us that the domains are in my account. Ventraip, I suggest an email is sent, as the onus shouldn't be on us to keep checking our emails to see where we are.

Perhaps I had the wrong impression, but I thought all COR are free for domain registrars, and we pay so as to cover their admin costs?

Agree with DavidL's post that DROP has a way better and seamless system and for $29.95, would be my choice moving forward.

8. GGroup

This is where your trouble started. VIP have a policy that any domains within 3 months of expiry need to be renewed (paid for) if you wish to transfer them into a VIP account.

Transferring between accounts/registrars has no bearing on ownership/registration. The domain/s can be hosted by any registrar in any account but has no effect on the registration details, beyond being able to change the contact email address.

Bingo.

Will never happen.
    Your only course of action now is to determine who is responsible for the COR costs. The red light should have gone on as soon as there was a cost involved to transfer the names to VIP.

Yes. "Double payment".

Agree with you on this one. The "domain successfully transferred" notification emails seem to only work intermittently.

Free market = anyone can charge whatever they like.

They are both good but both have their individual quirks.
    You're definitely not alone. Many of us learn the hard way.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. Mick

Mick Membership: Community

VIPControl will now show you the current status of a COR in progress, so you'll know where its up to.

We're always open to suggestions regarding the COR process and currently looking into providing domain transfers without the forced renewal included.

We are listening to all your feedback. :)

10. GGroup

Woop!

Woop Woop!

11. sydneyduo

sydneyduo Membership: Community

Hi Mick

Appreciate that you guys will start to take the above suggestions into consideration.
    You can see my ticket number: W6993714

Basically I'm not denying that the seller had made a mistake in making the payment but not realising it is NOT for the COR , but only to renew the registration.

Your support team said that if I had made it known early after the domains were transferred, they could have done something by reversing the order and process the fee for the COR instead.

However, my point is I only knew that the domains were transferred when I chased up with the seller much later. And when I saw the domains in my account, with 700+ days of registration left, I just assumed all was good.

It's only recently when I wanted to start developing those domains, and I realised that ownership is still with the seller.

So now the onus is on me to chase up with the seller to pay the COR (which I had already paid him prior), and looks very likely I have to cough up another $100 for 5 domains for the COR... oh well

And like I said, I've been using DROP all this while and the process is smooth as each party always knows when the ball is in their court

Cheers

12. Mick

Its possible to unrenew a .au domain name within a few days upon the renewal being processed, so we could have performed that if we had known about the issue sooner. As I've mentioned we're looking into removing the forced renewal during the transfer process so this will assist.
    The registrant email address is always advised of a completed transfer, or even in VIPControl you can see the domain go from a pending status to an active status so you'll know its completed. Unfortunately there isn't any other way we can advise someone a domain transfer has completed as we've only got the registrant email recorded.
    We've fixed this issue as of today with VIPControl now showing the status of a COR and who needs to do what for it to continue.

13. ~james~

~james~ Membership: Community

I recently purchased 9 domains and have initiated the transfer to VentraIP. 7 needed to be renewed because they were within 90 days of renewal so I paid $19.95 each for the renewals to commence the transfers. I lodged a ticket with VentraIP (VIP-R2128372) and explained that VentraIP was willing to waive the COR fee for SydneyDuo had they been advised earlier (see VentraIP response below from SydneyDuo's earlier post), and requested they waive the COR as my domains as still being transferred.

Ventra replied to my ticket with the following:

"The price of the COR is effectively free, in that unlike other registrars we don't charge a fee on-top of the required re-registration (the price of an AU 2 year registration). So if we were to allow your 'free' COR's, we would be hit for the registration cost of each domain affecting our bottom line, something we can't do. I'm afraid the transfer process was quite clear when it said it was renewing the domain for you at $19.95 per domain, it never at any stage said it was processing a COR."

(bold added to show the contradictory positions of VentraIP)

So what's the deal? You can reverse the renewal component and allow only 1 COR/renewal fee if you want but if only if you feel like it? Why can't you do it in this instance?

14. Jesse

Jesse Membership: Community

The key part is "Had we been contacted within days of the transfer and renewal" - we can only reverse the renewal with the registry within days of it being requested and applied.

There's nothing contradictory about what we've said I'm afraid. We're being completely transparent and have explained the situation quite well, but as Mick said we are looking to see what we can do to allow the option of renewal-less transfers for the future based on the feedback we've received from the buyer.

I hope that clears things up.

Cheers,
    Jesse

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  15. ~james~

I sent the ticket to VentraIP the day after I renewed the domains/started the transfer. Isn't this "within days" like you said it had to be? So again, I don't understand why I have to pay renewal fee and COR when you can fix it as ventraIP has posted was possible.

16. Jesse

The domains were transfered a month and a half ago (IIRC). The current eTicket questioning the need for two payments is 6 days old. Had this ticket been made a month and a half ago (within days) I could have done something, not now though I'm afraid.

17. ~james~

Could you please check my account again (james@psk.com.au). There were 7 invoices of $19.95 paid on Wednesday 18 April 2012 for the domain transfers. I lodged the ticket on Thursday, 19th April 2012 12:23PM

18. Jesse

The joys of posting on an internet forum (anonymity) and quoting another user engaging in the same type of thing at the same time (thought you were the original seller).

I'll see what I can do.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  19. Mick

The new option has now been rolled out to VIPControl to give the choice of transfer + renewal, or transfer only.

[​IMG]

20. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Angelo was telling me about this last week when I saw him in Melbourne.

Great feature - wonderful news, and good on you for doing it.

Now if you can only fix / automate the "pushing of a domain from the seller's account to the buyer's account", we'll be in domainer's heaven. :)