1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

ONE DAY IN SEPTEMBER Sale

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by ScottNugent, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

Just before 2 AM :(

2. VentraIP

VentraIP Membership: VIP

Hi italiandragon,

I'm not making any excuses for these outages, but both of them happened in the early hours of the morning (4am and 2am respectively) and they were for 10-30 minutes. I sincerely doubt that it caused a substantial impact to your business given the timeframes, but anyway.

The two brief outages were caused by inbound traffic floods from a source in Asia. It's a fact of life when operating a network that somebody is going to target a client that you host, and in these cases we quickly identified the client and the source, and worked with our upstream suppliers to mitigate the attack.

It also only affected traffic coming from international sources, as our domestic transit and our PIPE peering in QLD/VIC/NSW was unaffected.

So while I apologise for the brief loss of service, there was nothing more we could do and we acted immediately and came to a quick resolution of the issue.

3. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

Thank you for the prompt answer. Exactly, given the timeframes I was not worried about my Australian sites, but have you considered that my customers and visitors are from Italy, especially for one website? It was a busy Thursday and Friday afternoon there and only 1 hour earlier on both days I sent a newsletter-campaign so I had to send a warning message on Friday about the temporary problem with my site. I was up exactly because I was monitoring the traffic with GetClicky, I was getting hundreds of visitors per hour and all of sudden everything stopped. I can even show you the stats.

There was a form they had to fill in so they could be part of a special promotion with another company that required 3 months of hard work so while you may not believe me, it was a very bad coincidence for me....plain bad luck. Otherwise, I was not going to make a fuss at all, I know things happen and I am sure in the terms and conditions of your services this scenario is included, but my first reaction was flames as I felt I could not fix the issue as changing DNS would have required hours before they could see the form anyway.

I have been very happy with your services and am just hoping that these kinds of black-outs do not happen on a regular basis.

Thank you

4. VentraIP

VentraIP Membership: VIP

Hi italiandragon,

With all due respect, if you're primary customer base is located in Italy, you would be better hosted on our US plans, as it's a far better solution for international clients (which was not subject to this outage).

But to answer you question, we hope these sorts of things don't happen on a regular basis (we wish they didn't happen at all), but we're simply mitigating external attacks from people with too much time on their hands, and we do it as quickly and proficiently as we possibly can.

DDoS attacks can cripple networks for hours or more, so it's always our goal to get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible. :)