1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

.NZ CEO rejects claims Direct Registrations have been a disaster

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by snoopy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Chief Executive of NZRS (.nz) Mr Jay Daley has gone on the defence regarding the growing claims that .NZ direct registrations have been a failure and done damage to the New Zealand cctld.

http://www.domainer.com.au/a-quick-and-easy-way-to-grow-au/#comment-4214

His chart (below) is very interesting because the direct registration proposal in NZ started in late 2012 and as we can see that is when growth dramatically fell according to Jim’s chart,

See the NZ DNC's press releases about direct registrations and note the dates,

This looks to be the key one here,

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.01.14 am.png

DJexPIpV4AELOjF.jpg-large.jpeg

I have invited Jay Daley to come to Dntrade to discuss .NZ direct registrations.

2. Scott.L

Scott.L Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It would be good if he could provide Stats on the ratio of ownership that makes up those .nz numbers - what is the ratio of .co.nz registrants that also registered the .nz extension, and out of those (.co.nz registrants) how many abandoned one or the other extension at renewal. I would guess approx. 3 to 5% are new registrants. Therefore, the actual growth rate is very low even though the data can look like the extension is growing.

3. snoopy

Yes would be good to know.

They did have some data on registrations in .nz but not in .co.nz. I think it was something like 27% from memory.

4. Andrew Wright

Andrew Wright Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I would say the decline is due to this...
    http://searchengineland.com/library/google/emd-update

Rhythm likes this.
  5. Andrew Wright

Andrew Wright Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    http://searchengineland.com/verisig...p-in-domain-registration-renewal-rates-137739

Rhythm likes this.
  6. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
  7. snoopy

Agree on this being a factor though what I wonder about is the extent of the fall, e.g. from 10% (which was steady over several years), then down to 2% in about 9 months. I think this is larger fall than any other tlds. (.com.au is just a steady slide downwards from 2007 by comparison-.com.au attached).

Then they have got the launch year of .nz where they had high growth over the year as would be expected. Then back to 2% and a rise to 4%.

I suspect the recent increase to 4% growth is possibly related to extra registrations due to the March .nz deadline (and later name release?) and could be temporary.

Attached Files:

8. ttfan

ttfan Membership: Community

Perhaps a factor, but considering how poorly the majority of business owners (and domainers to some extent) are educated on what Google requires for ranking, I very much doubt this can be a the major influence.