What's new

Numeral Domains?

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Hi all,

I see that some TLD's made up of numbers do get decent prices, but locally it probably isnt the case (I dunno) .

Wondering what some of your thoughts are on them.

Also I see there are a few SEO related domains that seem to create a bit of interest... guessing due to figures of everyone tracking SEO changes, so are/have SEO related domains (been) worthwhile.

Cheers Jay

findtim

Top Contributor
just my opinion: they probably don't get many exacts, i don't think i have EVER typed "123" into a search.

thus it takes traditional advertising to make them work so they actually run on SOLELY exacts eg: 494.com.au is easy to remember for the nightclub at 494 st kilda road, 400.com.au is easy to remember for the new apartment development at 400 some st somewhere. etc

so my thoughts are that they need to have the end user which makes it difficult to get a high price.

i think they could be HIGHLY effective for the end user, its just difficult to find them.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Very limited market.

400.com.au is easy to remember for the new apartment development at 400 some st somewhere. etc

so my thoughts are that they need to have the end user which makes it difficult to get a high price.

Even if a developer were interested in 400.com.au for an apartment complex they aren't going to pay much. Mostly this type of buyer wouldn't pay any real premium at all.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Numeric domains don't have the same relative value in ccTLDs as keyword domains.

I think it's because in gTLDs they are particularly well suited as they cross the langauge barrier that limits the value of gTLDs.

By SEO domains do you mean expired backlink domains? They certainly still have value as they can be revived and used for a few judicious links (obviously with recent changes from Google, you have to be more careful than ever).

The other thing you can do is just park an expired domain and sometimes there are enough old inbound links to generate enough traffic to make a positive return. However there's no way of knowing for sure whether there will be enough traffic to make it worthwhile

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i think one of the biggest no no's is mixing numbers and words 'pets4you' it creates confusion, if you are interested in nuneric domains you can have a look at www.4.cn where there are some numeric .com's listed and always a few NNNN's on auction

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Thanks for the replies so far.

Regards the SEO domains, what I meant was seo related domains like (Eg only) seosearch.com.au, seorank.com.au etc

I was thinking of 1 domain that is a mix (alphanumeric) but its all acronym too, so it may be okay as far as the radio test....dont know, just testing responses/views at the moment before acting.

The only other numeric I was thinking of is a 4 digit, but not sure if worth pursuing.
Out of curiousity, anyone have a numeric sales list of the last couple of years for AU's?

Cheers Jay

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thanks for the replies so far.

Regards the SEO domains, what I meant was seo related domains like (Eg only) seosearch.com.au, seorank.com.au etc

I was thinking of 1 domain that is a mix (alphanumeric) but its all acronym too, so it may be okay as far as the radio test....dont know, just testing responses/views at the moment before acting.

The only other numeric I was thinking of is a 4 digit, but not sure if worth pursuing.
Out of curiousity, anyone have a numeric sales list of the last couple of years for AU's?

Cheers Jay

Sold 40.com.au for $399 (would barely have covered holdings costs let alone all the work it took to get a sale). 38.com.au sold for $2.

Lucas

Top Contributor
Sold 40.com.au for $399 (would barely have covered holdings costs let alone all the work it took to get a sale). 38.com.au sold for $2.

Actually it was 37.com.au that sold for $2 - some time ago. Recently NN.com.au domains have been getting up to around $250 at auction. Last one I bought was $150 at auction a month or two ago..

DavidL

Top Contributor
My sales (and purchases)

20.com.au sold for $750
52.com.au sold for $350
757.com.au sold for $280
464.com.au sold for $400
140.com.au sold for $600
565.com.au sold for $800

Actually after making the effort to have a look they did better than I thought. However as snoopy says they are a difficult category in .au

goldnugget

Top Contributor
Thanks everyone.

So with the exception of what may be deemed popular/lucky numbers by asian standards I am guessing that other number values are pretty much hit and miss depending on what the end user or purchaser is willing to pay.

Its an interesting area I think...bit of an unknown for me....I dont really get them myself from a domain prospective but the one I'm looking at is probably dual purpose so could have a ready market linked to it.

Thoughts on the number of digits? From what I've seen maybe 4 seems to be the desired limit (maybe 5 in the US...link to postcodes?)

Cheers Jay

snoopy

Top Contributor
A member here sold 140.com .......i guess if they wish to share their experience they will

Sold for around $27k, thought it may get over that as it was a somewhat known social media term. Had strong traffic from some cctlds etc but low revenue. This was in 2011.

Also sold 288.com for ~43k about 4 years ago at a no reserve auction. Was during the worst of the GFC, early 2009, expected a fair bit less.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Sold for around $27k, thought it may get over that as it was a somewhat known social media term. Had strong traffic from some cctlds etc but low revenue. This was in 2011.

Also sold 288.com for ~43k about 4 years ago at a no reserve auction. Was during the worst of the GFC, early 2009, expected a fair bit less.

You da man , thanks for sharing !

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members