1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Not realistic for .Com.Au to have first rights to .Au

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by snoopy, Nov 17, 2017.

1. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

So the submissions are are up as Ned pointed out,

One thing that really stood out for me is pro .au people seem to be relying on .com.au owners getting first rights.

e.g. from one response

Look at the other submissions though (from corporates, lawyers, non profits etc) and it clear why it will never work out that way.

Example,
    https://www.auda.org.au/assets/Uploads/ACCAN-10-November-2017.pdf

I want .com.au to have rights over .net.au, id.au etc. But after reading all the submissions I haven't read a logical argument as to why (nor can I come up with one), .net.au is 2nd rate isn't a justification. I want .com.au to have a preference because I own .com.au's! There is even two responses out of around 45 public submissions from .id.au owners stating they should have equal rights. There is plenty for .gov.au etc. I think it is pretty clear where things are going as people are saying they have rights all over the place.

For those who want .au on the assumption that the .com.au owner get first rights, they will get thrown under the bus by AUDA. Watch as these people (Lemon, Robert) suddenly jump ship to the "against" camp when the inevitable "no hierarchy of rights" principle gets up. Given AUDA's history it will probably end up with auctions if it ever happens at all.

2. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

If we are to pay the same registration amounts for .com.au and .net.au I do not see why the .com.au should get any preferences ....... my two cents, regards

3. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

I noticed Davies Collison Cave recommended an auction process.

4. snoopy

Music to AUDA's ears, $$$

5. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It's a scary thought.

I have the com.au and net.au locked up for most of my important domains, but not all. In some cases where I don't, the net.au has an earlier create date...

And even where I do have the com.au and net.au, is that going to be enough? Can someone work the system to grab the org.au or id.au, and stop me from getting the .au?

The panel has a lot to think about, especially in the way that it will affect SMEs like mine and thousands of others like it.

6. snoopy

Well, they are already lining up, .gov.au, .edu.au and even 4th & 5th level domains aswell. domain.nsw.gov.au -> domain.au etc

https://www.auda.org.au/assets/Uploads/EDAC-10-November-2017.pdf

7. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    In the case of ROD vs ANZ I'm with you. ;):D:cool:

DnEbook likes this.
  8. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

I do bank with them ! Besides that is not the only .net.au I have, point being same cost = same rights imo

9. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

• auDA auctioned .com.au names and people have paid a lot of money investing in them based on information put out by auDA ( and some past board members) it was a good investment.
    • auDA has not contacted those registrants to survey them or get any input about the proposed competing .au extension
    • All of those registrants may have a valid claim against auDA based on the processes followed to date and tarnished ways surveys where done, conflicts of interest oif board members and auDA itself.
    IF .com.au do not get first rights and this is not done far more properly with every existing .au registrant properly surveyed an informed of the costs, rights etc I will be a probably party to any Class Action Lawsuit.
    • Surveys where rigged with yes only voteing and poo wording
    • Some past / present Board members swayed results to potentially profit themselves
    • The list goes on

"John Swinson noted that it was open to the Panel to tell the auDA Board that, as a practical matter, direct registration could not be implemented."
    http://www.domainer.com.au/setting-the-record-straight/

snoopy likes this.
  10. Horshack

Horshack Membership: Community

I doubt that it even get off the ground. It's obvious that there's no hierarchical rights so it's the class action if .com.au domain owners are given priority that would be of most concern.

11. boppity

boppity Membership: Trader

.com.au was originally only for commercial entities, and net.au for telcos and ISP's, and others as still currently defined. .Net.au having same regn rights is only a recent thing as .net.au was being used as an alternative to unavailable .com.au. and is now used that way. So .com.au is by its own history the highest level .AU domain you can get. To allow direct regn to jump the queue is going extremely litigious and politically suicidal, if we organised a defence.
    With the legacy of .com.au having preeminance, if com.au do not get first rights to .au it will diminish the investment made of virtually every Australian business. If it turns out this way a political campaign will be most necessary to put a halt to this theft of property rights by proxy. Representation to every major business organisation and educating the media on the danger facing businesses being usurped or passed off by direct registrations of what they believed was the only preeminent .com.au domain and the loss they will suffer is probably the best way to stop third party access to direct registrations.

Shane and DomainNames like this.
  12. DomainNames

"I doubt that it even get off the ground" many people said to the Wright Brothers..

Lodging Flight Plan
    Taking Reservations
    Checking in passengers and baggage
    Wheels Up
    Arrive at Destination Goal

13. snoopy

In what way is .com.au "the highest level .AU domain you can get"? Is running an ISP lower level? is running a government website "lower level"? Is running a .conf.au website "lower level"?

It will diminish the investment no matter what the policy, that is what it is all about, a wealth transfer from domain users to domain suppliers.

14. snoopy

15. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    “The Panel agreed that .au should be differentiated from the underlying 2LDs. The Panel did not reach consensus on the purpose of .au (commercial, campaigns, government etc) but noted that .au could be a less regulated space compared to the 2LDs.”

That .au without restriction might seem a good idea, not for those business owners who own the similar .com.au or .net.au

snoopy likes this.
  16. DomainNames

17. DomainNames

"John Swinson noted that it was open to the Panel to tell the auDA Board that, as a practical matter, direct registration could not be implemented."

18. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

How about we just flip a coin for .au

or just create a second cctld: .oz

19. Bacon Farmer

Bacon Farmer Membership: VIP

How about we just keep the status quo?

DomainNames, zac and Shane like this.
  20. Rhythm

Rhythm Membership: VIP

How about all domain owners get an email given the choice to evolve their domain on a first-come-first-served basis.

Then you can ignore the email and keep your status quo