What's new

Jamie-AU

Hi,

Just registered with DN Trade now, so I better get the introduction out of the way first before I do a posting. :)

I own almost 100 .au domains. I've mainly been interested in acquiring dropped or unwanted domains that pertain to a few travel-based websites I run so as to inherit link traffic and possibly link juice over time. So, for example, if someone let a domain like "visit(insert some town name in Australia).com.au" expire, and it had a few inbound links pointing to it, then I may try to acquire the expiring domain and redirect it to "www.(one of my travel websites).com.au/(town name in Australia)". That way I redirect the unwanted domain to content on one of my websites that is related to the original website's content.

I haven't as yet sold any domains as most of the ones I acquired are for the purposes of inheriting their original traffic. Although I have registered a few domains in the past that I thought were a good idea at the time, but time and/or interest hasn't allowed me to develop them into proper websites, so selling them might be an option in the future.

Now to make a posting about geo domains!

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
G'Day Jamie,

Firstly, welcome! Always great to have you members. Enjoy your stay here. :)

Secondly, interesting tactic with your domains. If you're getting a good amount of type-in traffic for the parked domains then good stuff! If not, you might be hurting yourself a little as far as google goes. Regardless though, I certainly think you've taken a step in the right direction as far as building a "business" with your travel sites and not just relying on reselling and parking!

See you round! :D

Jamie-AU

G'Day Jamie,
Secondly, interesting tactic with your domains. If you're getting a good amount of type-in traffic for the parked domains then good stuff

I've never really been a fan of earning money from type-in traffic and I've had a few domains parked at Sedo and are earning next to nothing from them.

My biggest benefit is with Google rankings on my travel websites. I'd do a web search for "some town name" and that town's page on my main travel site wouldn't even appear on the first page. I then snap up an unwanted "visit (some town name).com.au" (ONLY if it pointed to a previous site with real content and incoming links that are still around), then do a 301 redirect on the domain to www.(my travel site).com.au/(some town name) and after a few months, I'm seeing Google searches for "some town name" now ranking the relevant page on my site much higher. The key though, I've found, is to ensure that I redirect the old domain to a page on my main site that has content that is similar and closely related to the domain's original content, otherwise Google won't be as inclined to place as much value on it.

These days, I find it incredibly hard to get one-way links to my websites, so it's nice to pick up unwanted domains from old websites and thus inherit those those links when doing the redirections.

findtim

Top Contributor
welcome, nice to see an informative intro post, interesting tactics thanks for sharing

tim

atom

Administrator
Hi Jamie. Hope you find lots of interesting info here, and thanks for sharing your experiences too! :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo