What's new

Netfleet Newsletter

Jonathan

Top Contributor
Interesting.. 681 registrant transfers in March.. how many of those were through Netfleet? 60 or 70?

This indicates that there are a huge number of sales in the Australian market being conducted privately.

Jonathan

Top Contributor
Another interesting stat from that report is that despite registrations being up by nearly 40%, 'drop offs' (i.e. expired domains) are down proportionally by nearly 40%. Could indicate that the general public is becoming more conscious about the potential value of their domains.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Interesting.. 681 registrant transfers in March.. how many of those were through Netfleet? 60 or 70?

This indicates that there are a huge number of sales in the Australian market being conducted privately.

That's always to be expected. I don't think any marketplace could expect to get all that much of the entire market. I wonder what proportion Sedo claim in .com where they are very dominant. They have certainly increased their volume in the last few years:

2007 - 13,000
2008 - 18,000
2009 - 38,000 (huge jump although av sale price less than 40% of average sale price in 2007)

Another interesting stat from that report is that despite registrations being up by nearly 40%, 'drop offs' (i.e. expired domains) are down proportionally by nearly 40%. Could indicate that the general public is becoming more conscious about the potential value of their domains.

I think drop offs are actually up - 21,000 compared with 15,000 last year unfortunately. I guess the down arrow is just to show a negative impact on growth.

Jonathan

Top Contributor
David, I might be reading it wrong but I thought they put in a down arrow for drops because they were proportionally lower. In other words, even though they're up in absolute terms, they're down relative to the total number of .com.au's held.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I don't think so Jonathan.

In fact, looks like the proportion of drop-offs has increased relative to total domains.

Mar 2010 21,000 drop-offs from 1,680,000 total domains = approx 1.25%
Mar 2009 15,000 drop-offs from 1,350,000 total domains = approx 1.12%

Not that that matters all that much as long as the raw increase in registrations stays as strong as it is....

djuqa

Top Contributor
1 factor maybe that 2 years ago was just before the change in policy regarding resale of .au names. There might have been a lot of names regged with the promise of resale, that never did occur.

Anyhow 1% is not bad , compared to drop rate of some other tlds

Jonathan

Top Contributor
Oh well, I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part. Also, apparently I am terrible at maths.

I do wonder about those 600 private transfers though. Specifically, what proportion of them were sales. Could mean the secondary market is already turning over several million dollars a year.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member