What's new

Netfleet.com.au now EX GST made more clear

Vicstar

I'd like to see an option on the Listing page that is totally up to the Seller to say the price includes GST or not... the listing can state (a) already includes 10% GST.. or (b) gst exclusive/ will not have GST added!!

At the time of listing, the Seller can have the option of ticking a box - for eg. *GST inclusive (so the listed price will already include 10% gst) or *GST exclusive (no further taxes apply to the listing - so the seller cannot add GST later). eg. This seller is registered for GST & has chosen to already include 10% gst in the final agreed sale price (nb. I would not necessarily agree to include the ABN in the listing!! altho a GST invoice displaying the ABN should be supplied to the Buyer upon sale). In any Netfleet review of monthly sales/etc, the totals can be treated as 'Gross' sales.

I also recall reading a Ruling with the ATO a while back that any sales including GST in the final sales price *MUST* include gst in the listed price displayed (I'll see if I can find that ruling somewhere?!!!!).

~ Vicki

cherrytron

Top Contributor
I think it is fair that the auctions have it added on at the end etc, as long as you know that will happen it is fine.

The problem is when some sellers charge it and some don't, that is what makes it confusing - and stings when you find out after you've made a deal that you are up for another 10%.

Maybe the seller needs to check a box in their profile that says "I am registered for GST" and then that figure (or warning whatever) is displayed on the site / catalog listing.

Note: Your bid is ex-GST. This seller charges GST on top of your final bid price.

cherrytron

Top Contributor
That being said, I hate selling a name (especially cheap ones) and then the buyer wants a tax invoice etc asks if it includes GST or not etc.

David, maybe in that negotiation process where you can select the options like "this is my final offer" etc, you could add another one for buyers/sellers.

Sellers can check - "This price excludes GST, a tax invoice will be supplied"
Buyers can check - "My offer includes GST and I require a tax invoice"

etc

jam

Top Contributor
Everyone is making this issue larger than what it should be.

The seller should factor the GST in their price if they are registered. They should not add 10% to the quoted price after a price has been agreed on.
I am not registered for GST and as a buyer I should pay the same as someone registered for GST.

Have a look at the last section on http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00221985.htm&page=2&H2

“The consumer who buys the table bears the $30 GST included in the price, as consumers cannot register for GST and cannot claim GST credits.”

Mark

Top Contributor
Sorry for delay with this.

We are still looking into all viable options, are awaiting professional advice on the GST component of domain sales, and have taken onboard everyone's comments and suggestions. We've changed it a couple of times now, and the next change I want to be the final change.

Will update as soon as I know

Thanks for your patience!

Mark

Vicstar

Hey Jam, I think it is a pretty big issue & it deserves all the attention it can get - it will be great to have the confusion resolved once and for all!

I look fwd to hearing the advice you get Mark - would we be able to have a say in it before the "final decision" on GST goes live?

Hi Vicki - PM sent.

Cheers, Admin (Ned)

Thanks Ned :D checking now!

jam

Top Contributor
Hey Jam, I think it is a pretty big issue & it deserves all the attention it can get - it will be great to have the confusion resolved once and for all!

I'm sure Netfleet will talk to someone and have it sorted soon enough.
Most people on this forum operate on a business and we are still having trouble with GST, it shouldn't be happening.

Netfleet need to get some rules in place and stick with them.

Mark have a look at ebays GST policy - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/seller-gst.html

Are my sales on eBay subject to GST?
The ATO has advised Australians that "private sales by registered or unregistered people, such as at a garage sale, will not be subject to GST". If you are carrying on an enterprise and sell items on eBay, you are responsible for paying any GST applicable to the ATO. As a seller required to pay GST, you must ensure that the GST component is included in the price of the item from the time it is listed and you must not add GST to the final value of an item once it has been won or bought. This means that all listings on eBay are considered to be GST inclusive, where GST is applicable to the transaction. You should also note that sales to overseas buyers (exports) are considered GST free. Where GST is included in the price of an item and your winning bidder or purchaser is overseas, then you may consider refunding the GST component of the item’s final value to the buyer or reduce your postage and handling accordingly, in order to subtract the GST component.

Can I add an amount for GST on top of the final auction or Buy It Now price?
No. All prices of items are deemed inclusive of GST, where it is applicable to the listing. That is, sellers who are required to charge GST must not add an additional amount on top of the final bidding price or Buy It Now price on account of GST – the price is considered inclusive of GST. It is the seller’s obligation to ensure that they are meeting all obligations with respect to GST. This means sellers who are listing using the auction format and that are required to charge GST will need to set aside 1/11th of the final value for GST purposes.

As I said before, everyone is making this issue bigger than it should be.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member