What's new

NetFleet breaches Code of Practice

James

Top Contributor
I think I got this email and I was like WTF I am already a member of netfleet, was very spammy...

justme

Can Netfleet be trusted?

NetFleet sent out promotional emails to approximately 1,200 customers of Drop.com.au, using contact details obtained from the .au registry database.

After the above mentioned issue and winning bids not honoured (one example: http://www.dntrade.com.au/gives-netfleet-t2082.html?t=2082&highlight=netfleet ) makes me wonder just how professional and trustworthy the company is. How do we know the lower bidder who won wasn't an employee/family member/friend?

domainlover

Top Contributor
i think that is a bit harsh, these guys have done alot for the industry and i dont think an isolated incident and some computer glitches on the drops deserves that kind of response.

justme

You can't be serious. They have done a lot for the industry? They have tarnished it. They are in the business for themselves. That they would poach a competitor's customers in such a way proves what they are.

AUDA's response was weak. Destroy all records? How about a public apology, if I were drop that is the minimum I would want.

domainlover

Top Contributor
dont take this the wrong way justme but what have you done in the last few years to lift the profile of the domain industry ? have you set up a site where thousands of domain names are sold for free which has lifted the value of domain names for all of us?

justme

don't take this the wrong way domainlover, but you're going off topic.

to get it back on - sending spam to a competitor's customers would have taken some effort and someone within the company must have known it was not the right thing to do (illegal under the spam act) yet according to the report that is what they did - they still pressed ahead and they basically got away with it with no reprimand at all.

Last edited:

payattention

Archived Member
They were caught, punished and embarrassed in public; what more do you want? They made a mistake but that doesn't mean that their trust is in question, just their judgement.

A few years ago you couldn't even sell .com.au domains and now we have 2 really great platforms in NF and Drop that continue to improve. I would say they have contributed a lot of positive things to the industry and continue to do so.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Can Netfleet be trusted?

NetFleet sent out promotional emails to approximately 1,200 customers of Drop.com.au, using contact details obtained from the .au registry database.

After the above mentioned issue and winning bids not honoured (one example: http://www.dntrade.com.au/gives-netfleet-t2082.html?t=2082&highlight=netfleet ) makes me wonder just how professional and trustworthy the company is. How do we know the lower bidder who won wasn't an employee/family member/friend?

I dont think Netfleet or drop would be that silly to have staff / family / their own fake bidders. Many here know the snap names saga

http://www.dnlingo.com/halvarez-from-snapnames-auction-fraud-reveiled/

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=H...1I7ASUT_en&redir_esc=&ei=fAxqTf_wF5DCcd6w-Y0M

Another company that does it all the time is www.bidz.com then when they overbid themselves and end up with the goods they mysteriously send you a second chance offer via email after the auction....

Last edited:

Honan

Top Contributor
They were caught, punished and embarrassed in public; what more do you want? They made a mistake but that doesn't mean that their trust is in question, just their judgement.

A few years ago you couldn't even sell .com.au domains and now we have 2 really great platforms in NF and Drop that continue to improve. I would say they have contributed a lot of positive things to the industry and continue to do so.

Yes, the contribition by both companies to the industry has been enormous

And only netfleet currently provides us with a platform to sell names

For whatever reason, drop appear to have lost interest in providing an aftermarket, apart from expired names auctions
I am mystified why netfleet would do that email

paz

i think that is a bit harsh, these guys have done alot for the industry and i dont think an isolated incident and some computer glitches on the drops deserves that kind of response.

I agree. Based on what I've seen they seem honourable.

But in the end...who REALLY knows what they are up to? That being said who REALLY knows what Drop are up to? Or OMG?

I can't sit here and say I trust netfleet any more or less then any other drop platform or reseller because they've been a bit too keen (and downright stupid really) in their pursuit of new business.

This was definitely an embarrassing and seemingly rookie mistake. They have been let of lightly - but things like this thread may prove to me more of a punishment.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Received this from Drop via email

To: XXX

Subject: Unauthorised use of your Registrant info
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011

Thank you for your continued support of Drop.com.au.

You may have received an email from one of our competitors to your Drop.com.au account email address. We wish to explain how your email address was obtained by this company and then potentially used to contact you via an unsolicited email in January.

The company concerned sent unsolicited promotional emails to approximately 1,200 customers of Drop.com.au, using contact details obtained from the .au registry database. These actions breached the auDA Code of Practice and also caused a major Registrar to be in breach of the Registrar Agreement. They have published an apology to you on their website.

Due to their actions the company concerned has been reprimanded by auDA. More details can be found at http://www.auda.org.au/news-archive/auda-24022011/

Should you wish to make a spam complaint you can do so at: http://www.acma.gov.au/interforms/spam_complaint_email.asp

If you have still have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Drop Support

support@drop.com.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drop.com.au | Suite 2, 47 Warner St | Fortitude Valley, 4006 | Australia

Phone: +61 7 3007 0070 | Fax: +61 7 3007 0075

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are receiving this email because you are a Drop.com.au customer.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members