What's new

.net.au domains being dropped in record numbers

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Looking at the daily drop lists it seems many people are choosing to not renew their .net.au names. This confirms my own belief people are better to pay more and get the .com.au name if they can or choose another .com.au name.

No matter how many scare campaigns registrars use to try and have people register their .com.au in all extensions for defensive registration purposes ( and more money for Regisrars, auDA, ICANN etc) many with the .com.au name are not renewing their .net.au's as the .net.au simply means wasted money.

This shows the marketing by some that there is high demand for new extensions is nothing more than self interest promotion to push new extensions and make profits etc most probably aimed again for existing .com.au to defense register. There NO high demand for a new .au extension. People could very easily still get the .net.au in many cases if they want it or they could in fact by one of the other 200 worldwide domain name extensions now being flogged by registrars.

There is also an aftermarket so if people really want a registered .com.au or .net.au name they could in some cases buy it on the aftermarket or by contacting the existing registrant owner and buying the name or the related business, IP etc.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Sorry but I totally disagree. When I look at the expiring names list on ausregistry it looks like almost twice as many .com.au names as .net.au names are expiring. The record numbers appear to have been .com.au names over the past few weeks.

Horshack

Top Contributor
There's been an avalanche of good .com.au names dropping lately. When I see the big end of town dropping quality names it makes me wonder about how the prime movers see the future viability of the .au domain space.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
There's been an avalanche of good .com.au names dropping lately. When I see the big end of town dropping quality names it makes me wonder about how the prime movers see the future viability of the .au domain space.

Personally I would say Buy and Renew good generic 1 and 2 word .com.au and drop poor .com.au and poor .net.au variations completely unless it is a category killer .net.au. example boats.net, cars.net.au, insurance.net.au, loans.net.au,

It has always been the best investment to pay more for the 1 and 2 word premium generic .com.au.

A lot of useless .com.au and .net.au will continue being dropped so the numbers may increase as people work out their value or they are not even needed for defensive registrations. No one is visiting Seek.net.au RealEstate.com.au Ebay.net.au, Carsales.net.au News.net,au etc

findtim

Top Contributor
more drops mean less renewals = less income for supply class
most NEW small business i talk to will just alter their preferred domain name rather then pay $1000 , they are happy to go 3 word hand reg rather then 2 word purchased.
and there are HEAPSSSSSSS of 3 word domains available, i think there is a post on prefix's eg: the, our, my etccccc added to a 2 word.
just further proof of FACT that bringing in .au as an additional extension is not going to solve the problem and simply cost ONLY current domain owners
supply are clutching at straws, let everyone else do the marketing of domains and now having to pick the "low hanging fruit"......US

tim

DomainNames

Top Contributor
more drops mean less renewals = less income for supply class
most NEW small business i talk to will just alter their preferred domain name rather then pay $1000 , they are happy to go 3 word hand reg rather then 2 word purchased.
and there are HEAPSSSSSSS of 3 word domains available, i think there is a post on prefix's eg: the, our, my etccccc added to a 2 word.
just further proof of FACT that bringing in .au as an additional extension is not going to solve the problem and simply cost ONLY current domain owners
supply are clutching at straws, let everyone else do the marketing of domains and now having to pick the "low hanging fruit"......US

tim
This is 100% fact. Once again my advice to all is keep your good .com.au names, 1 or 2 word maximum and no hyphens and let everything else drop. Pay more for a good premium generic .com.au or even the .com if you can afford it and snag .com deals.

People know and trust .com.au, .com , .co.uk, .co.nz etc It is what they are used to. There are now more than 1000 extensions worldwide the supply class is trying to flog and promote and most is rubbish and has very few buyers and users. When I buy online I am more likely to trust well known long established extensions.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Sorry but I totally disagree. When I look at the expiring names list on ausregistry it looks like almost twice as many .com.au names as .net.au names are expiring. The record numbers appear to have been .com.au names over the past few weeks.

The .com.au pool is ten time larger. If the numbers of .net.au dropping is half the size of .com.au that should be a big concern for .net.au owners. People dropping .net.au is a very good thing though.

nt81

Top Contributor
Did we all forget that 2 years ago from roughly the time this topic was posted, masses of .net.au domains were registered for $1 because of the dumbest promotion ever? So yeah, they did drop in record numbers over about a month because two years ago people went mad buying them and didn't have the cash to renew all of them.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Did we all forget that 2 years ago from roughly the time this topic was posted, masses of .net.au domains were registered for $1 because of the dumbest promotion ever? So yeah, they did drop in record numbers over about a month because two years ago people went mad buying them and didn't have the cash to renew all of them.
Good point!! Yes I did forget the $1 .net.au promotion. That makes even more sense they are now dropping with the higher renewal costs.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo