1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Negotiating as a buyer advice?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by helloworld, Aug 30, 2018.

1. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

I am keen to hear some tips on negotiating a domain price as a buyer.
    There is a domain I would like to acquire. The website was sold approx 5 years ago. It then had 4k traffic per day, all social media and it's a TLD. The original sale was around $25k
    The current owner let the site go. They didn't update the software, they neglected other pages for at least the last 2 years and content in between then was sporadic. The site was hacked and while many users had left the site, the database was uploaded to a warez site.
    I contacted the owner and asked if they were keen to sell. They asked for an offer. I asked for their value too which they got a little e-angry and said they didn't want to get involved in that kind of deal and either make an offer or go away.
    Some facts:
    Estibot valued the domain at $1100
    Ahrefs shows a traffic value of $8.00 through the site has now been de-indexed as it is offline
    Google Trends shows a downward trend over the past 5 years.
    It's an EMD but still brandable.
    There maybe some value in the database as an archive IF it is not too far gone.
    Knowing the history of the site. I made a low offer of $2k, The owner came back 2.5 weeks later saying they're on the $10k side.
    I am VERY doubtful that anyone in the industry would pay that and the market is limited to Australia.
    The site would probably need full rebranding, awareness campaigns, sponsorships.
    Revenue model is NOT clear
    Does it pass the pub test...most probably
    Thoughts?

2. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Work out your budget and make another offer in a couple of weeks.

Scott7 likes this.
  3. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    a value is simply what someone will pay for it, how to work that out is by doing your "break even point" meaning how long till you get your money back?
    10 sales? 1000 sales?
    i bought a GOOD emd domain recently for $4 for a client, his break even point is 1/8th of 1 sale !

tim

Scott7 likes this.
  4. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    $4k !

5. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Wow Tim! For a moment there I thought you had taken domain negotiation skills to a whole new level. :D

DnEbook likes this.
  6. findtim

auDA Member:
    Yes
    be careful of a hacked database, you really need to put it through a ring washer before attempting to use it otherwise down the track something will pop up and it will cost you time and $$ to find it.

based on what you have said this is a "block of land" and not something with a "house on it" , you'd just be buying the domain, even the back links could be negative against you from the sounds of it !

$$$$
    my vote = move on

tim