What's new

Negotiating as a buyer advice?

helloworld

Top Contributor
I am keen to hear some tips on negotiating a domain price as a buyer.
There is a domain I would like to acquire. The website was sold approx 5 years ago. It then had 4k traffic per day, all social media and it's a TLD. The original sale was around $25k
The current owner let the site go. They didn't update the software, they neglected other pages for at least the last 2 years and content in between then was sporadic. The site was hacked and while many users had left the site, the database was uploaded to a warez site.
I contacted the owner and asked if they were keen to sell. They asked for an offer. I asked for their value too which they got a little e-angry and said they didn't want to get involved in that kind of deal and either make an offer or go away.
Some facts:
Estibot valued the domain at $1100
Ahrefs shows a traffic value of $8.00 through the site has now been de-indexed as it is offline
Google Trends shows a downward trend over the past 5 years.
It's an EMD but still brandable.
There maybe some value in the database as an archive IF it is not too far gone.
Knowing the history of the site. I made a low offer of $2k, The owner came back 2.5 weeks later saying they're on the $10k side.
I am VERY doubtful that anyone in the industry would pay that and the market is limited to Australia.
The site would probably need full rebranding, awareness campaigns, sponsorships.
Revenue model is NOT clear
Does it pass the pub test...most probably
Thoughts?

findtim

Top Contributor
a value is simply what someone will pay for it, how to work that out is by doing your "break even point" meaning how long till you get your money back?
10 sales? 1000 sales?
i bought a GOOD emd domain recently for $4 for a client, his break even point is 1/8th of 1 sale !

tim

Scott7

Top Contributor
a value is simply what someone will pay for it, how to work that out is by doing your "break even point" meaning how long till you get your money back?
10 sales? 1000 sales?
i bought a GOOD emd domain recently for $4 for a client, his break even point is 1/8th of 1 sale !

tim
Wow Tim! For a moment there I thought you had taken domain negotiation skills to a whole new level. :D

findtim

Top Contributor
The site was hacked and while many users had left the site, the database was uploaded to a warez site.
be careful of a hacked database, you really need to put it through a ring washer before attempting to use it otherwise down the track something will pop up and it will cost you time and $$ to find it.

based on what you have said this is a "block of land" and not something with a "house on it" , you'd just be buying the domain, even the back links could be negative against you from the sounds of it !

It's an EMD but still brandable.
$$$$
my vote = move on

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.