What's new

Negative SEO

Shane

Top Contributor
Looks like one of my big sites is being targeted by negative SEO.

Over the last few months there have been a heap of blog comments left using exact match anchor text and my URL, along with a large number of new forum profiles using my URL.

I have never used any paid SEO or link building services, so I can't see how it could be anything other than negative SEO by a competitor.

I paid more than the cost of a new family car for this domain, so I'm a little concerned that someone's trying to kill it.

Anyway the rankings haven't been hurt at this stage, so all I can do is hope for the best...

Any ideas on what else I can do?

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Disavow links on a weekly basis. I use Ahrefs to keep updated on new links and disavow straight away generally.

James

Top Contributor
Yeah Just disavow all the domains at a root level if they are suspect. Also ensure that SEO companies are providing full link reports on work completed to show 100% transparency.

I also agree with Zhen run weekly reports to track new links. Just use LRT/ Ahrefs and also Webmaster Tools.

I have one client who is super paranoid after been hit by 1000s of spam links in the past by competitors. You just have to make sure you do not disavow good links.

Send me a PM of the domain I can have a quick look for you.

James

Top Contributor
James, should we Disavow links from scraper sites like - askives and mrwhatis?

It is a case by case basis, you really need to look at each specific site. And ask questions like:

Is it indexed?
Does it hold PR?
How many pages is my link on?
What is the anchor text?

Just look at as many factors and patterns you can before you disavow links is my advice, do not rush out and disavow good links do your search first.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Let's be honest tho. Analyzing links is a waste of time or at least can be.

Just go with the "if it looks dodgy, then it probably is" which works for most solo operators

kappa

good luck shane, i had this happen 2 myself 6 months back on a site i never did any seo just pure content. didn't get hit at first but after 3 months it got hit very very hard :(. i hope you don't have same result as i did.
i used disavow tool as well only option really.

James

Top Contributor
Let's be honest tho. Analyzing links is a waste of time or at least can be.

Just go with the "if it looks dodgy, then it probably is" which works for most solo operators

Probably not the best formula to work with, heaps of quality (link profile) based sites have poor quality design.

You really need to take your time with link removal and analysis. If you rush things and cut corners it can result in good quality links been disavowed and removed. I have seen this on scale numerous times for clients we consult for (i.e work completed by past companies who were fond of cutting corners).

helloworld

Top Contributor
... Time is money.

Most owner operators aren't going to analyze it and also won't know what to look for. But of you're a local business you don't need bestlinkfarm.ru plus similar sites with the same anchor etc.

Id be keen to see some examples of these link profile sites you think are good.

James

Top Contributor
... Time is money.

Most owner operators aren't going to analyze it and also won't know what to look for. But of you're a local business you don't need bestlinkfarm.ru plus similar sites with the same anchor etc.

Id be keen to see some examples of these link profile sites you think are good.

I agree it does come down to a case of what the clients budget is and how many hours they wish to spend.

Yes I agree if you do have a blacklist of bad domains you have already analysed from then yes it can be helpful for analysis at a domain level.

All I trying to say here if you need to take time with disavowing domains, so many times I see people rush in and disavow every thing and it does more harm then good.

Shane

Top Contributor
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going down the disavow path and hoping for the best.

Unfortunately I've read a few horror stories since I've been doing some research, so hopefully my site doesn't suffer the same fate...!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo