What's new

National Broadband Network

neddy

Top Contributor
Soon I will be able to report first hand on the much talked about (maligned?) National Broadband Network. :)

My suburb in Townsville was one of the guinea pigs, and my place was the first to be connected. Underground connection. They put the box on the side of the house last week, and yesterday I had a personal visit from someone who handed me a leaflet: "Your Property Is Now NBN Ready".

I have to say I have been really impressed with the crews that have been putting it all in. There again, I guess that's what our $40 billion is for. ;)

Trouble is, the retail plans are a bit exy at the moment. But I guess they will come down in time.

payattention

Archived Member
The NBN is such a waste of money; I'm all for upgrading the bush in order to bring them up to speed but it's not needed for most cities.

If you're living in Melbourne, you can already get 100mbit cable for $109.95 a month unbundled. I don't know what the uptake is but the fact many people still go with other providers using different technology such as wireless or ADSL2 speaks volumes about why this project is a waste of tax payers money.

I'm on 100mbit at the moment and aside from the obvious reasons for wanting such speed and the slightly better pings it brings for gaming, it's nothing special. I really didn't need to switch from ADSL2 to Telstra Bigpond Cable and more importantly, people like my parents don't need a 100mbit connection to use Facebook or rent movies through Box Office.

The goverment should be using the money to upgrade the bush and fix blackspots in the cities. Sure, connect up hospitals, public schools and universities etc to each other (most already are) but it's just not necessary to spend billions upon billions of dollars to bring fibre to the home. Sure, the idea is cool and I'd love nothing more than a fibre connection to my house but I think I'm old enough now to realise just because the idea is cool doesn't mean you should do it :)

Futurists will say we need it for the.. future but I disagree.

Last edited:

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
I can see the need for an upgrade in some areas but as you have said Johnathan, there is not that big of a need and the need that exists is nowhere near $40 billion

djuqa

Top Contributor
The goverment should be using the money to upgrade the bush and fix blackspots in the cities.
Part of the NBN Plan is to do exactly that.
NBN == Best internet Network possible.
I live in a town of 300 people, Cable 100mbit would never be available.
However NBN Fibre is slated to be available within 12 months.

payattention

Archived Member
Yes, that's the only part of the plan that I like but I am not sure they need to lay fibre in order to bring the bush up to speed.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
If your house is connected to the NBN but you use a wireless connection for your laptop what speed do you get with the NBN connected?

The future of the internet is wireless. a good backbone wil help but the wireless devices ( mobiles, tablets , laptops) need to be able to get the NBN speeds also. Can they?

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Wireless will always be a step behind cabled internet. This does not meant that the NBN won't improve wireless speeds. It will as long as you have an N router that can handle the speeds and if you don't you may still find that you will get faster speeds. In terms of 3G etc (phone wireless) I wonder if the NBN takes into consideration this huge market that is ever increasing in its use and reliance on

payattention

Archived Member
Unless you purchase additional equipment, you won't be getting 100mbit speeds over wireless in your own home at this point in time. I'm not on NBN but Bigpond Cable; my house is a mess with blue ethernet cables running out of every room :p

Oz.

Top Contributor
If your house is connected to the NBN but you use a wireless connection for your laptop what speed do you get with the NBN connected?

The future of the internet is wireless. a good backbone wil help but the wireless devices ( mobiles, tablets , laptops) need to be able to get the NBN speeds also. Can they?
If your using wireless to connect to your home network which is on NBN, then the max speed would be that of the wireless connection - the weakest link. That is my understanding anyways.

sp@rky13

Top Contributor
Yes Oz, you are limited by your weakest link. If you have even the latest wireless N 300 available to you, you will still be limiting the speed of the NBN. In the future wireless technology will advance enough that this won't be the case but by then the alternative to the NBN will be far superior and the newest wireless technology will still be the weak point

coreyg

Top Contributor
I think it is a good thing that our Government is investing in our Country to provide broadband for all Australians.

Cheers
Corey

Oz.

Top Contributor
Yes Oz, you are limited by your weakest link. If you have even the latest wireless N 300 available to you, you will still be limiting the speed of the NBN. In the future wireless technology will advance enough that this won't be the case but by then the alternative to the NBN will be far superior and the newest wireless technology will still be the weak point
Exactly, well said! :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members