What's new

Namescon.com Las Vegas 2018

Cheyne

Top Contributor
honest question: why?
1. Because we've never been and we want to see if it's of value to us.

2. We have a number of our registry partners who attend and exhibit, so it's always nice to put faces to names.

3. It's our policy to always send a senior and a junior to these things. So it allows some of our more junior staff to see the world and gain experience representing the company.

findtim

Top Contributor
2. We have a number of our registry partners who attend and exhibit, so it's always nice to put faces to names.
wouldn't it be better to do this in australia so you could support australia businesses like hotels and restuarants?

namescon seems to be quite diverse, http://namescon.com/agenda/
this workshop i'd like to see as i have been telling this story for yearssssssssssss now:
Develop a Domain and Sell a Business
the event is "buy , hold, sell " in overall context isn't it ? just looking at the agenda its mentions
Domain Auctions and Brokerage: A Path to Monetizing Your Domains
The Effects of Cryptocurrency on Domain Trading,
Lessons Learned from Operating the Most Valuable Portfolio in the World,
Turning Up The Heat on Record Domain Sales,
Mastering Aftermarket Appraisals,
Escrow.com Domain Awards,
and of course the high point,
Domain Auction

It does seem heavily weighted towards buying a domain for resale, and this creates revenue for registrars, not to mention in australia the COR fee of a domain name transfer, so still being nice aren't you flying close to the sun when squatting gets mentioned?
and why would there be an escrow for domains if they weren't being traded?

i'm not mad at people who bought bitcoin at 7 Cents, nor that ocean front block of land in byron bay way back when it was ONLY 1 million dollars, let alone the people who bought Apple shares and held them through the tough times and have now split them and split them and split them to make a fortune.

i started my business during the dot com crash in 2000 ish, it was difficult going, the people who saw the potential back then need to be congratulated not condemned.
when your team get over there, tell the americans what you really think, try to tell them they are doing something bad, see how that pans out for you?

tim connell, purely my view only and not representative of any organisation i am involved in, everything in this post is common knowledge available to everyone.

findtim

Top Contributor
They did livestream...............
thanks, yes it is my business strategy and everyone of my clients love it, i know this because very few of my clients leave me and i have clients from the first days of my business. to hold a client for 16 years i think says a great deal about a business.

i'll stop, i don't want to steal the thread.

it would be good to know if anyone else is going to namescon , i also would truly love to read about cheynes staff experience once they are back, robert did detail many things this year which were very interesting.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Agree with Tim, this squatters conference is disgrace and completely unaustralian.

Let's see them hold it in Tamworth next year.

Cheyne

Top Contributor
wouldn't it be better to do this in australia so you could support australia businesses like hotels and restuarants?
I agree, but the problem is getting them out here. It's not often that they visit Australia and there are no real industry conferences done here anymore.

I think perhaps it is a little different from a registrar perspective. Our team won't necessarily be going for the talks, it's more to connect with registries and their marketing teams which is who we work with regularly to do promotions (both on a wholesale and a retail level).

when your team get over there, tell the americans what you really think, try to tell them they are doing something bad, see how that pans out for you?
What are they going to do... take my guys out the back of the Tropicana and beat them?

Seriously, what's next Tim? Are you going to use your influence on the auDA board to make sure Angelo is never elected, or that nobody from my company is named on any auDA panel or committee? Don't waste your time, it's been happening for years and I'm sure you know who is behind it just like I do.

Do me a favour. Take out your best brush and attempt to paint me as the enemy all you want, but at the end of the day all you will end up with is a really ugly painting and the realisation that the broader public (as you've seen on Whirlpool) see domainers as the enemy, not registrars like us, and attacking us is not going to help alter that perception. And once again, I say that I personally genuinely support free enterprise and have no problems with people making money so long as it's done within the confines of the law, even if it is considered taboo, and that includes domain investment.

And let me reiterate for you. I have never viewed that "S" word in a negative light, and was completely unaware of it's perception until Angelo posted it and I was told otherwise. Remember, this is not our particular corner of the industry, so I think we're entitled to make a misstep or two here and there, and being truthful I have always disliked the word "domainers" far more because it always sounded worse to me.

But yes, I will definitely post back with information on how the conference goes and what value (if any) we derive from it.

findtim

Top Contributor
cheyne, i did clearly state my post was from me and nothing to do with anything else, i can still have a life and an opinion, having said that there is NO WAY in hell i would block angelo or other, every application to whatever is thoroughly considered.

i was actually shocked angelo wrote that post, i met angelo for @ 4 seconds at the 2016 agm and have had no real communication with him, up until that post all feedback i had received about angelo was very positive.

tim

Cheyne

Top Contributor
i was actually shocked angelo wrote that post, i met angelo for @ 4 seconds at the 2016 agm and have had no real communication with him, up until that post all feedback i had received about angelo was very positive.
Why were you shocked? All he did was reply to a comment made by a member of these forums with a potential solution that could be discussed.

Did he use the wrong word? Sure, and that is why he edited his post because he didn't realise it was considered "offensive" to a subset of people - neither did I. Let's move on.

What I can tell you that I have known him for 10 years since I first hired him back at Jumba, and at just 26 years old he is one of the smartest young men in this industry who has earned the respect of the majority of his peers. His age intimidates a lot of people, but everybody who has ever met him or had dealings with him speaks very highly of him because he takes the time to listen to people and is very respectful of other opinions.

So instead of saying "tell the American's what you think and see how that pans out" in a passive aggressive manner, how about coming out to our office and having an adult conversation with us (we'll even give you lunch), because you will quickly discover that just like you we are in business and even though we have to protect our own interests that doesn't mean we're not looking out for yours.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member