DonGreen

Hi from a relative newbie.

I havean established website:
Code:
http://australiarentals.com.au/

I have just managed to grab the following domain:
Code:
myholidayrentals.com.au/

I would appreciate thoughts on whether to try establishing a permanent redirect, so both URLs pont to exactly the same site, and hopefully, are treated as one site by Google, or run two sites with different branding, but otherwise identical content?

On a side note, the next thread down contains a great looking backlink report. Excuse my ignorance, but what app or site was used?

Cheers, Don

James

Top Contributor
If you want to run two sites and keep them separate then use different content, different hosts, different who is data if you are concerned. Here is some additional reading on this topic - http://jamesnorquay.com/ex-googlers-competitive-seo-research-tool-you-have-to-try/

The backlinks tool is called Ahrefs here is a review I did on it for the Australian market - http://backlinks.com.au/australian-review-of-ahrefs-backlink-analysis-tool/ it is not cheap but it is fairly good for freshness of links.

DonGreen

Thanks James

I'd rather not run two sites, but ideally I guess I would ike to run one site, with different branding for each domain, but the same content. I guess in this case there is no way to share any SEO juice between the two "sites".

DonGreen

I just like the 2 domain names, one from a historical perspective, I had australiarentals as an active website a while back, the other is more to the point if the website I guess, Holiday Rentals.

nt81

Top Contributor
To answer some questions :

Most cPanel hosting will allow you to have extra "add-on domains" if your quota of add-on domains allows this

So for example, your main hosting might be

Main : www.website-a.com.au (it's own separate site)
Add-on : www.website-b.com.au (it's own separate site)

Sometimes, you might prefer that both domains share the same hosting, handy when you want multiple TLD's on one hosting account. They will usually call this "parked domains" as they are parked on the main hosting and redirect to it.

e.g

Main Site : mydomain.com.au
Parked : mydomain.com
Parked : Mydomain.biz
Parked : dubbo.domains

;)

* Disclaimer : Some hosts wont' allow Addon Domains, or Parked domains. It depends on who you have hosting with and what they include.

Where I work, it is one active domain per hosting account(unlimited parked domains underneath). Every separate site then requires a separate hosting account. We do this for security and diagnostics reasons. Digging through 32 subdomains for an error = not fun.

James

Top Contributor
Thanks James

I'd rather not run two sites, but ideally I guess I would ike to run one site, with different branding for each domain, but the same content. I guess in this case there is no way to share any SEO juice between the two "sites".

If you have two sites with identical content, and one site is already indexed. The second site will not be effective in ranking for the same or similar terms. I have tested this many times over the years. The way around this is you can copy some content but you also need to have a large portion of unique content. Many big news syndication sites get past this because they are already authority properties. In the end of the day unique content will work the best.

DonGreen

Thanks James. I just need to choose one and run with it.

Last question, does the MyHolidayRentals domain name have enough advantage over my AustraliaRentals name to justify the switch? I'm looking for search traffic to do with holiday accommodation rentals.

Bacon Farmer

Top Contributor
You're competing against the likes of:

Stayz.com.au
Wotif.com.au
Rent-a-Home.com.au

So that's 2 bastardised spellings and a hyphen rich domain.

What that means is a keyword rich domain isn't necessary. So it might be better to go with something memorable and brandable.

AustraliaRentals doesn't exactly describe what your site is about.

MyHolidayRentals does.

Any search engine keyword benefit from both is negligible given monthly search exacts are 20 and 10 respectively.

You could even consider other domains such as this one http://www.netfleet.com.au/AustralianHolidayRentals.com.au or

http://www.netfleet.com.au/RentHolidayHouses.com.au (both owned by members here).

There are other members here whom have some very nice holiday related domains too if you have a big budget ;-)

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
Thanks James. I just need to choose one and run with it.

Last question, does the MyHolidayRentals domain name have enough advantage over my AustraliaRentals name to justify the switch? I'm looking for search traffic to do with holiday accommodation rentals.

I guess you need to thing about branding when you do a project like this, we use to manage the SEO/ consulting activity for: vacationhomerentals.com

Which is a US targeted site and they do VERY well for that market against established players like HomeAway. I think they were doing around 700k UV/ month from organic alone. Australia is a far smaller market yet still plenty of opportunity.

helloworld

Top Contributor
To answer some questions :

Most cPanel hosting will allow you to have extra "add-on domains" if your quota of add-on domains allows this

So for example, your main hosting might be

Main : www.website-a.com.au (it's own separate site)
Add-on : www.website-b.com.au (it's own separate site)

Sometimes, you might prefer that both domains share the same hosting, handy when you want multiple TLD's on one hosting account. They will usually call this "parked domains" as they are parked on the main hosting and redirect to it.

e.g

Main Site : mydomain.com.au
Parked : mydomain.com
Parked : Mydomain.biz
Parked : dubbo.domains

;)

* Disclaimer : Some hosts wont' allow Addon Domains, or Parked domains. It depends on who you have hosting with and what they include.

Where I work, it is one active domain per hosting account(unlimited parked domains underneath). Every separate site then requires a separate hosting account. We do this for security and diagnostics reasons. Digging through 32 subdomains for an error = not fun.

I think in this instance OP wants to Park the domain on his main site.

Good for PPC stragegies on php based sites apart fromo Wordpress which seems to revert to the original domain once a (menu)link has been clicked

DonGreen

Thanks everyone. The site is a .NET site, so I have full control over whether my menus change domain or not. Still deciding whether to run 2 domains and brands, or just permanently redirect everyone to MyHolidayRentals.com.au

snoopy

Top Contributor
The second domain doesn't justify a shift in my view. It is ok but I don't think you are going to get any real benefit from a change.

findtim

Top Contributor
Wordpress can be configured for multi-site (WPMU) mode, but it is messy.

wpmu IS MESSY, i have 2 different versions running and they have both been total hassles to setup.

first is single admin for all sites, 2nd is individual admin log ins

both don't allow admin editing of the functions.php and CSS so you have do it via FTP which is a real pain.

just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

but if you get past the setup its not a bad system.

but also incredibly difficult to get a good backup of and backup buddy doesn't do it correctly so you are back to cpanel and ftp which is time consuming and greedy on space and download times.

i have 1 with 7 sites and it is a 7 hour backup on ADSL2

just fyi

tim

DonGreen

Thanks Tim, but I'm not using Wordpress and there is no point turning this thread into a discussion about the benefits or otherwise of Wordpress.

Jamie-AU

does the MyHolidayRentals domain name have enough advantage over my AustraliaRentals name to justify the switch?

I think that in many cases, the full word "Australia" in a com.au domain is superfluous, as the country code already indicates that the website is something to do with Australia.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member