1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

multilingual sites

Discussion in 'SEO & SEM Discussions' started by helloworld, Sep 23, 2015.

1. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

I have some clients that would like to attract users who read Chinese Traditional and Simplified. I have found someone who can translate the content. Just wondering how I should set this up? I was thinking of cloning the website and adding to subdomains and adding tabs at the top of the page for the different language pages. Or instead of sub domains, would /path be better?

Thoughts?

2. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    for a search engine point of view? or a function point of view
    in my experience for SEO subdomains were the go @ 2007 - 2012 and it all died for me , then i switched to /folder which worked very well, this has now since died as well.

from a function point of view where you have a chinese FLAG to click on, i'd go down the folder path as i think it may still be valid
    you might want to look into chinese charactor domain names, pushing them to something like that could be advantageous ?
    tim

helloworld likes this.
  3. James

James Membership: VIP

The question is do you want the site attracting Chinese visitors in china?
    Or Chinese visitors in Australia?
    How do Chinese visitors in Australia search?
    - You need to ask yourself these questions.
    With this niche it is not as simple as translating a website if you want to have Chinese visitors coming to the site, you need a local writer, you need a .cn domain and you need a site hosted in china.
    Also does the client have in house Chinese staff to deal with leads? This is a mistake many businesses make my friend owns an agency that deals only with Chinese Marketing.

4. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

2 sites in question.
    1 wants parents to become part of the process, as they have the money and from experience they are located in Hong Kong/China. So the marketing is local, the search strategy is not os based.

Second site, is also local but has a lot of *asian clients. Already has staff that speak the language.

5. James

James Membership: VIP

Yeah sounds like you are on the right direction, wechat/weibo brand pages also can be a good strategy for local customers as well something to think about.