What's new

Monetisation 101 Part 3: Directory Sites

findtim

Top Contributor
Demoniod thanks for the mention but you got the link wrong LOL, no issue, i'll PM you and explain.

tim

James

Top Contributor
this article is a good intro tho surprised no mention of lead gen directory sites, their is revenue to be made Oneflare & HiPages. Most of the age old directory business is not as healthy as it once was many years ago.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
this article is a good intro tho surprised no mention of lead gen directory sites, their is revenue to be made Oneflare & HiPages. Most of the age old directory business is not as healthy as it once was many years ago.
Thanks James, appreciate the feedback.

I focused on one of the 'tried and tested' revenue models that individuals (domainers) can tackle, rather than larger scale 'put everything into it' type business models. Domainers are typically involved in a number of activities, rather than focussed on building one very large business. This point is alluded to in a couple of places, but perhaps I could have been clearer: "However, you would have to devote a huge amount of time and resources to build an epic directory site of that scale (i.e. put your heart and soul …and a whole lot of money into it!). For that reason, this article focusses on directory sites of a scale that can be realistically managed by one or possibly two people."

There's probably lots of great tips, tricks and potential case studies that I've missed (it's a big topic!). I'm definitely happy to get feedback and look at areas that could be covered in future articles. Thanks for providing the example sites (oneflare.com.au, hipages.com.au)
Interesting read thanks
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :)

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I hadn't heard of Oneflare before you mentioned them James, now I keep hearing about them! I saw this in the featured articles on StartupSmart today:
Oneflare raises $3 million, plans to scale up Australian growth and abandons international expansion
http://www.startupsmart.com.au/grow...ns-international-expansion/2015071415103.html
" Australian local services marketplace Oneflare has announced it has closed a $3 million funding round and will focus on the Aussie market, suspending plans for an international expansion.
Oneflare allows users to find, compare and ultimately hire local services, and provides access to half a million consumer reviews to assist with this decision. "

findtim

Top Contributor
Most of the age old directory business is not as healthy as it once was many years ago
i agree, its always been a crowded market place, but nobody thought of facebook until facebook arrived, and directories will never be facebook, as yellowpages worldwide could have been a facebook but now is all but dead.
interflora is dead
the post office is dead, surviving on old ladies paying bills.
telstra is only alive because it owns the infrastructure
foxtel is about to die
who uses bing? nineMSN, yahoo, and do we remember all those others that google killed.
and the list goes on.

BUT, a highly focused directory is profitable, you can make a nice income from just your town, your suburb and surrounds IF YOU treat it as a job and not sit on your bum and hope the money comes in.

but what would i know ? i've only been doing it for 15 years and its getting better.
"think local, use global knowledge "

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
having google bring back EMD's has been the real winner for directories IMO
they really stuffed up, but i think they did have to scare many people back into a content based internet and not " passive parking"
i now "park" , but only because of auda rules, i think its a dud rule, unlike others i'm also lazy at doing it mostly because i try to use my domains for " development experiments" and i am serious about that term, you need research and development in every business, you also need to FAIL to gain the knowledge to move to the best solution.
i don't think this is off track on the discussion, if you have a GOOD directory based domain then my opinion is DO NOT use it unless you are experienced.

get another domain, hand reg TOWNdentists.com.au and create it, and knock the cold doors, knock the DEAD doors, get as many NO's as possible and learn from it, "burn and learn" and best to BURN doors that you don't care about, burn some other vertical and not yours, burn a different town LOL but not yours, and this way at the end of the day you don't feel bad.

THEN create your directory site with that HERO domain you have and you have all the answers.
and ALWAYS remember " maybe is a NO " , "do you want to advertise" ......... " maybe, ring me next week" , well that's a NO

spacey, i feel an ebook coming on LOL

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads