What's new

Monash Uni purchases .monash extension

James

Top Contributor
I would prefer to keep the .edu domain to be honest as they will hold authority and the market will know the extension. But I can see the angel they are going for with advertising and trying to be first to market and giving it a shot.

zhenjie

Top Contributor
I think its one of the more sensible new tld purchases. Monash is fast becoming a global university so the .edu.au is getting less relevant. Great for intranet addresses, non Australian campuses and their services/departments.

James

Top Contributor
I think its one of the more sensible new tld purchases. Monash is fast becoming a global university so the .edu.au is getting less relevant. Great for intranet addresses, non Australian campuses and their services/departments.

True can see how that would work.

plano

There is a municipality in Victoria called Monash and although I suppose it is unlikely the municipality would have purchased the .monash extension it is possible and this might have been unpleasant for the university.

Maybe there are also other potential .monash purchasers in both Australia and internationally.

This type of defensive motivation might drive purchasers rather than a desire to actually use the extension, in the short to medium term at least.

findtim

Top Contributor
"Largely, what it's about is creating a source of truth on the internet, saying to the world if you want to find anything about Monash University, for example, it must end in .monash."

not a bad reason... if you have the cash to blow, brand protection.

i see it as not a commercial venture, just controlling your brand and giving out email addresses to students, exactly why government promotions should use .gov.au instead of buying .net.au's

i can see in the future them saying to students that assignments will not be accepted unless sent from a @monash email account.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
not a bad reason... if you have the cash to blow, brand protection.

i see it as not a commercial venture, just controlling your brand and giving out email addresses to students, exactly why government promotions should use .gov.au instead of buying .net.au's

i can see in the future them saying to students that assignments will not be accepted unless sent from a @monash email account.

tim

Students already have email addresses on their domain.

I don't see how this protects their brand, what exactly are they protecting it from?

petermeadit

Top Contributor
So I don't really get it. If you are an education institution in Australia, then you would want the .edu.au right? Or if you provide education globally you would want .edu ?
Or even something like .education or .training I can kinda understand. But .monash ... implies they are going beyond traditional Uni offerings perhaps?

findtim

Top Contributor
So I don't really get it. If you are an education institution in Australia, then you would want the .edu.au right? Or if you provide education globally you would want .edu ?
Or even something like .education or .training I can kinda understand. But .monash ... implies they are going beyond traditional Uni offerings perhaps?

i'm trying to think outside the square on this and i know i may get trashed, i am not a fan of these TLD's but i don't see this as a commercial venture more of just ownership.

they don't need SEO rankings as they will just promote the brand. if they go down the .edu.au and .edu path they keep paying renewals and we don't know what their plans are.

with .monash they can push out heaps of domains they would not normally be able to have eg: sydney.monash , so by making this move they are in control.

accountancy.monash , engineering.monash etcccccc

the value of the investment would be the ongoing costs being worth it?
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
i'm trying to think outside the square on this and i know i may get trashed, i am not a fan of these TLD's but i don't see this as a commercial venture more of just ownership.

they don't need SEO rankings as they will just promote the brand. if they go down the .edu.au and .edu path they keep paying renewals and we don't know what their plans are.

with .monash they can push out heaps of domains they would not normally be able to have eg: sydney.monash , so by making this move they are in control.

accountancy.monash , engineering.monash etcccccc

the value of the investment would be the ongoing costs being worth it?
tim

The cost of renewals is tiny compared to hundreds of thousands for an extension.

Honan

Top Contributor
Waste of money, Monash.edu or Monash.com would be better choices.
Hi Paul ,
They already have monash.edu . Try it.
Their Press release on acquiring .monash makes sense to me.
The publicity from being the first organisation in the world to get a new TLD might be worth a quid or two.
Change makes survival possible.
Although, I agree that they are among the worlds best at wasting money
J

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics