What's new

"MelbourneIT out of domain names within 2 years"

DomainNames

Top Contributor
A senior staff member at Melbourne IT is telling people "MelbourneIT will be out of domain names within 2 years".

This is interesting news.
Have they told their shareholders yet?
Will they just move the domain name business to another company under the group?

snoopy

Top Contributor
The legacy registration business would be worth a lot even though it would in decline. I’m talking about all those $158 registrations.

With .au numbers generally flaking they perhaps see domains as “no growth”.

I guess it also means they’ll be trying to push auDA to implement direct reg before they sell?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
The legacy registration business would be worth a lot even though it would in decline. I’m talking about all those $158 registrations.

With .au numbers generally flaking they perhaps see domains as “no growth”.

I guess it also means they’ll be trying to push auDA to implement direct reg before they sell?

What would it take to contact every Melbourne IT domain name customers and have them move their registrations over for the new price of $5 per year .au ? Pay $158 or pay $10 for 2 years?

With the new Afilias .au wholesale registry winning tender pricing being 60% lower wholesale price than Ausregistry current price it is possible IF auDA pass on the new lower wholesale price.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I think those $158 registrants would be pretty “sticky” ie not very price sensitive.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I think those $158 registrants would be pretty “sticky” ie not very price sensitive.

Targeted marketing campaign by someone who wanted them should be achievable PLUS all of the other related business..

Not sticky if " Melbiourne IT are getting out of domain names within 2 years". They will need to find a new home.

snoopy

Top Contributor
They will just sell the business not tell people to find a new home. That side of the businesss is probably worth $100 million or more.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
They will just sell the business not tell people to find a new home. That side of the businesss is probably worth $100 million or more.

Why would someone buy it for $100 million?

Why not instead spend $5 million on a targeted campaign for those customers instead showing them the benefits to move now PLUS the massive savings the customer could probably make with lower pricing and the savings they probably could have been making over the last 10 years...?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Why would someone buy it for $100 million?

Why not instead spend $5 million on a targeted campaign for those customers instead showing them the benefits to move now PLUS the massive savings the customer could probably make with lower pricing and the savings they probably could have been making over the last 10 years...?

Because that $5million won't do anything for them. What MelbourneIT has is the most lucrative part of the Australian domain industry. It is worth far more than the registry or any other part. It is customers who don't give a stuff about price.

DomainNames

Top Contributor
Because that $5million won't do anything for them. What MelbourneIT has is the most lucrative part of the Australian domain industry. It is worth far more than the registry or any other part. It is customers who don't give a stuff about price.

Let's watch and see ..

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members