What's new

Melbourne internet show

findtim

Top Contributor
hi, just back from business trip in byron and in the mail is an invite to the FREE melbourne internet show.
( i have NO involvement other then visiting )
www.internetshow.com.au , they also have a mobile phone component? but i haven't had time to read it all.

anyway i'll be there Monday 30/4/12 and 1/5/12 in various seminars.

i think there is stuff that you have to pay for so sus it out yourself but i thought i'd let people know its happening.

the schedule is downloadable online and looks impressive.

If anyone is going and wants to catch up for a beer after the 3.15pm close then PM me, or wants to join me in some of the seminars so we can later talk about what "you heard" and "what i heard" then that would be GREAT as everyone takes in different information.

i'm not going to post what i'm attending so PM me fi your a DEFINATELY going to attend.

anyway, hope to see someone there and i'm sure i'll gain alot from this as well and thus help the DNT

tim

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Went to the show last year, just the free expo and seminars. Was pretty decent and worth the visit.

findtim

Top Contributor
thanksssssssssss for that feedback, as i was wondering of the value but i had decided to make a commitment to go for the look.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
So i went to the internet show in melbourne today and will be back there tommorrow.

Basically they had a few stuff ups with scheduling and this is not just my opinon, so i missed out on a fair bit today just from simply being confused, i had planned my day fully and it was just thrown away when i was handed a different seminar schedule on entry. but at least i have the right one for tommorrow to review.... i hope?

But the god thing is there are 5 presentations going on all at once, bad thing is you need to be in 2 places at once ! but its free so what can you say.

big topics are facebook/social media and everythign that goes with that eg: strategy, advertising, etc. the next big thing is mobile phones, website design, functionality and Apps.

CMS ( content management systems) are also we represented but what amazed me is the amount of "customized" cms programs available ..... the "one stop shop" program that does your whole content/facebook/shopping/intranet .

There was simply packed crowds for anything that had the word "facebook" in the seminar description.

I honestly didn't learn alot today but the few snippets i got were worth the effort, made some interesting connections and swapped business cards and also caught up with some people i hadn't seen in a while so for that fact its a worthwhile effort.

Most of what i am listening to tommorrow is mobile phone websites, apps, shopping cart, etc as thats where i see its all heading in the present/near future PLUS the way CMS interacts with that.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
seems like i have an unpopular thread !

but great to know last night i did the "longtail" search term blog post for "the internet show melbourne 2012" and i rankfirst page.

YES.... no big deal but once again it just shows you that google is indexing sites at a massive rate, i'm note sure when it got its rank listing but i posted it a 11pm last night.

SOO, now onto to my day 2 review should any one every read this !!!

FIRSTLY, i will go back next year, DEFINATELY, and as i said i just did the free stuff which 99% of it i already know and do but you only need a few free snipets to make it worth while and FUNNILY the best presentation was the VERYYY last one by appmajik.com, don't pay attention to the website i listened to 2 presentations form them and they KNOW there stuff.

once again facebook, fb,fb,fb,fbook......... but the reality is only some sorts of businesses will benefit from the effort, nobody convinced me that a "dentist in dubbo" should spend time on facebook business unless they have a VERYYYYYYYYY unique concept.

REALLLLLLLY interesting things happening on iphones and androids and thus APPS. The growth of mobile "devices" is skyrocketing and thus their use in accessing data.

My business plan just changed/flipped/deleted !because of the last 2 days even though 99% of what i heard i already knew.

Now that says something about taking the time to go to these things !

And if you do not think this "mobile explosion" isn't going to effect "domain name trading" then you are about to be left behind.
NO i am not talking .mobi, FARRRRRR from it, if you have some .mobi's get rid of them as its REALLY failed according to the experts.

i've got to get onto the work i have missed in the last 2 days but if you want to PM me on specific topics then please do but i of course didn't go to every seminar as its not possible

tim

fcdoms

Thanks for the info Tim. Didn't know much about that expo in Melbourne. Glad it was worth your while.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
And if you do not think this "mobile explosion" isn't going to effect "domain name trading" then you are about to be left behind.
NO i am not talking .mobi, FARRRRRR from it, if you have some .mobi's get rid of them as its REALLY failed according to the experts.

tim

I wish I could have attended based on your write-up. The above sounds interesting and would like to know more.

:)

findtim

Top Contributor
if I was to spend time to "brain dump" whats in my head right now i honestly couldn't justify the time, but subscribe to this thread and anything that comes in from the speakers maybe i can post links IF ADMIN APPROVES i can do that????

i'm sure the companies won't mind as they may get business from you?

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
cool, thanks admin, so stay tuned, i've kinda wound down a bit now but still totally WIRED with thoughts about my new business strategy

And i will post everything i get for dnt members and then you can make your own opinions on subjects and available services.

you just might have to bare with "my hype" sometimes.

tim

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
thanks ned,

but BUGGER, i just wrote a post and it disappeared !!! so i have to write it again !

anyway the nuts guts was , if you subscribe to this post its just my opinion and i can't really be bothered with negativity so please keep it to constructive critism for waht ever is presented .

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
hi, a lot of the the speakers told "low brow" old news about things so lets clean them a few of them out now.

google friendly url's
don't facebook on business unless you are prepared to DO IT
google is till god
google places is underused
google places customer reviews is GOLD
image alt tags may soon be a must
landing pages are here to stay, as long as its not duplicate content.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
Facebook

well, honestly i am not a fan ! having said that there was 2 days + of social media ideas presented for free and i touched on some of it when i could but everything i heard did not relate my type of client base, i consulted some of the SEO adn SEM guys and gave them examples of business sectors i am workng in and they all said to me " don't bother with facebook"

I'm not going to broadcast those business sectors but i'm writting this post to say "don't get rapped up in the MUST follwo the trend mode " which FINALLY on day 2 one of the presenters said exactly that.

basically it works for some businesses but for other it is just a waste of time. eg: WHY would you want to follow a facbook of a "ballarat dentist" ??????

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
General feel of event

Well this with mobile phone apps and user interaction was my main focus so thats whats going to be broadcast here, there was online banking and repeated funds transfer system, geo targeting, and the normal email strategies, PPC, CPC etc conversations that really with a little research online you can find.

The general "public" at the expo seemed to be newbies looking for solutions or information to be able to "do it all themselves" i think thats why the social media area was ALWAYS FULL.

I found when i went ot talk to the exhibitors that were offering services like SEO, SEM, social media integration i found I had to tell them that i actually did know a fair bit before they relaxed into a conversation rather then a sales speil. its an honest appraoch for me as MANY of these techniques eg: facebook i just DO NOT want to do but i want to outsource and if i can get someone in melbourne that will look after my clients then i'd be VERY happy.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
E-com mobile

well, its a waste of time and money if your ecom website isn't PROPERLY working on an iphone

basically 1 guy said "if your website is 3 years old then throw it away and get a new one that will act correctly on iphone or you will slowly die"

i agree, from what i saw with the code people are now using i will be changing MANY of my sites right NOW.

you really need a site right now that will function CORRECTLY on iphone/ipad/desktop/laptop

webdesigners just got pay rises today !

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
mobile local ecom

old hat but expanding, local offers feed from your website to someone walking past your shop !!!

its just geo targeted and theres a few ways of doing it but the feeling seems to be to make it "opt in" instead of bluetooth

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Excellent Tim.

I knew many points already too but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of them.

DNTrade is terrible on mobile devices and a mobile skin for DNTrade would be great.

vBulletin is old too (3.8.3 versus version 4.1.12 being the latest of close to it).

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo