1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

.Melbourne Domain Names

Discussion in 'DomainShield.com.au' started by DomainShield, Nov 12, 2014.

1. DomainShield

DomainShield Membership: Community

As a .Melbourne Accredited Registrar, Domain Shield is now offering .Melbourne domains which opened for general release today.

There are some great domains which are still available for hand reg.

Call us today on 1300 725 021

2. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

Appears to be no search option on the site ?
    ~
    No pricing information ?

3. DomainShield

DomainShield Membership: Community

Hi Spacey, it is a premium name space so we are taking telephone and email enquiries. Just drop us a line and we can give you all the info you need over the phone

4. zhenjie

zhenjie Membership: VIP

You have to call up to register a domain name :O ?

5. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Backwards much..

6. Cooper Mills DomainLawyer

Cooper Mills DomainLawyer Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    most registrars only offer .melbourne over the phone like Netregistry, Instra and Melbourne IT.

I bought one and had to call through, but it is actually nice to have someone do the work for you

7. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Not that I want a .melbourne domain, but VentraIP offer an online registration service. ;)

8. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    still have issues with registrations of certain names, melbourneit says available, crazydomains says "premium" so apply, and ventraip says unavailable.

thankfully i do not intend to purchase but if i was its bloody confusing and many people are going to be p^ssed off by thinking they have registered a domain but actually haven't.

tim

9. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

I wonder if this was the Lord Mayors idea?

His Assistant: Sir, how are we going to sell these domain names, we just spent $3million on the extension.

Lord Mayor: People can bloody well ring up and buy them, that is how things normally work. I'm not going to spend money leasing a shop to sell them.

His Assistant: Good idea sir. Another glass of Bollinger?

10. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    This should be in the Friday funnies thread :D

11. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

"Charles, set up on those pop up shop thingy's"

12. Mick

Mick Membership: Community

Premium domains are not offered via Synergy so VentraIP will be showing as unavailable since we don't support them currently. :)

13. neddy

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I'm now confused Mick. As I said, not that I'm interested in a .melbourne domain, but when I went onto VentraIP this morning, the system allowed me to "order" a particular domain. (I only went as far as "basket").

Are some domains available and others not? :confused:

14. Mick

Some domains are classed as premium so those domains are not offered by Synergy simple because the pricing is different for those premium domains on a domain by domain basis.

As an example the domain "election.melbourne" is classed as premium by the registry and costs more than the standard register price so for any Synergy reseller this domain will be returned to our API as 'unavailable'. There is a fair amount of work required to offer dynamic pricing where premium domains are involved as they're not all the same price, something our wholesale system isn't built for at this time.

You also have domains which are reserved by the registry like "docklands.melbourne" which will also show as 'unavailable' for every registrar of .melbourne since they're reserved.

15. neddy

auDA Member:
    Yes
    O.M.G! :rolleyes: :confused:

One man's premium is another man's ............

So I was on the VentraIP site - is that the same as Synergy? And if the domain comes up as "available" on VentraIP, does that mean it can be registered online? Or does there need to be a phone call made or ticket lodged?

16. Mick

The VentraIP check uses the Synergy API which goes directly to the registry and checks, any unavailable domain with VentraIP may not necessarily be unavailable with another registrar due to the premium issue I explained previously

However if it shows as available, then its available online no ticket or phone call needed just fill in the order form. :)

Keep in mind this is the case with all the new TLDs, they have premium domains as well so isn't just a .melbourne issue.

17. segator

segator Membership: Trader

We purchased dot melbourne domain yesterday via VentraIP.