What's new

Matt Cutts has been busy

shags38

Top Contributor
you worry me General ....... I hope your analyst has not foresaken you. BTW - not clicking on a link with mis-spelling - the link thread has seizure spelt seziure

cheers,
Mike

p.s. was there anything useful or pertinent in the link or was it just a link link

WG2010

Archived Member
Dear Sir,

I was trying to convey my dislike of two of the latest additions to the Google search engine; one being Google Instant which displays results instantly as you type and the second being Google Preview which allows the user to display a preview of the website before visiting it.

As previously suggested, I put it to you that using both of these new additions is likely to give end users such as myself a seizure. For that reason alone, I hate the changes and have disabled them. The link is merely an analogy for using such "features".

Good day to you, kind Sir!

Last edited:

shags38

Top Contributor
you are a very funny man(?) General ....... pity you do not see the reverse humour, probably too sophisticated for you.

In any case we both had a laugh (well I did, I am still smiling :) )

Web Designers will be rubbing their hands together.

cheers,
Mike

shags38

Top Contributor
[QUOTE=WorGeneral;12412
General - you have really done it this time.

It so happens I am the father of a daughter with intellectual disabilities. The use of the word "retard" is not only offensive but is also an offence to use in this and many other countries in reference to people with intellectual disabilities under anti-discrimination laws. You didn't use the word but it is used in the link thread.

There is so much more I would like to say however I am steeling myself to desist - if anything makes me VERY ANGRY it is ignorance. Spend some time in a sheltered workshop and see just how wonderful these people are - what they lack in intellectual ability they more than compensate for with happiness and love abounding.

James

Top Contributor
This is not SEO this is website usability, if your website is spam or you have too many ads CTR will be hit hard.

I may need to make some changes to a few of my sites to make above the fold designs more appealing.

But this also impacts on website speed, designers do not focus on speed to much, if you have high content/flash/AJAX design your speed will be slow.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
This is not SEO this is website usability, if your website is spam or you have too many ads CTR will be hit hard.

I may need to make some changes to a few of my sites to make above the fold designs more appealing.
Yeah I have just checked out what some of my sites look like in the preview pane and they don't look to crash hot...

Might need to actually start adding more multimedia content to entice clicks rather than relying on text to get good search engine rankings.

Big tip - image of hot chick in a tight shirt with big boobs will increase CTR no matter what the topic.

;)

WG2010

Archived Member
What percentage of users are actually using the function though? I'd warrant not enough to give it any major concern. The average user just types in what they're looking for and clicks the listing at the top.

They don't understand or use all the extra bells and whistles. I thought it was just something associated with older people but the younger generation are just as stupid with this Internet stuff. A young cousin of mine clicks lots of AdWords and when I ask her why she said she likes them better.

James

Top Contributor
Yeah I have just checked out what some of my sites look like in the preview pane and they don't look to crash hot...

Might need to actually start adding more multimedia content to entice clicks rather than relying on text to get good search engine rankings.

Big tip - image of hot chick in a tight shirt with big boobs will increase CTR no matter what the topic.

;)

Depends what demographic you are targeting, and I am sure if you are running most advertising these types of images are non family friendly.

I also noticed that most content from video sites/ cpm ads ect shows up with huge Grey areas yet Googles ads do not even show up, very sneaky.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Depends what demographic you are targeting, and I am sure if you are running most advertising these types of images are non family friendly.
It was a bit of a slap stick comment, I'm not expecting everyone to go out and through a hot chick on their site because it might improve the CTR on SERPs.

That said nothing turns heads like a hot chick with boobs - it doesn't matter what demographic you are targeting - boobs grab attention. Women are obsessed with boobs, men are obsessed with boobs, kids (young boys) are obsessed with boobs. Nothing grabs more attention than boobs.

;)

But that said if you are trying to grab as much attention as possible - boobs are always a good starting point.

I also noticed that most content from video sites/ cpm ads ect shows up with huge Grey areas yet Googles ads do not even show up, very sneaky.
Yeah I noticed that as well. Sites with prominent Google block ads look quite terrible!

Timmy

Banned
Might be time to return to the old splash/entry pages with a big 'simple' logo that clearly shows the product name.

James

Top Contributor
It was a bit of a slap stick comment, I'm not expecting everyone to go out and through a hot chick on their site because it might improve the CTR on SERPs.

That said nothing turns heads like a hot chick with boobs - it doesn't matter what demographic you are targeting - boobs grab attention. Women are obsessed with boobs, men are obsessed with boobs, kids (young boys) are obsessed with boobs. Nothing grabs more attention than boobs.

;)

But that said if you are trying to grab as much attention as possible - boobs are always a good starting point.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Sites with prominent Google block ads look quite terrible!

Do you think sites targeting girls will like it, do you think sites trying to get a message across will like it...If people are searching for something with intent they are not going to want to see tits like "car insurance", if they want to see tits they will search for "brunette boobs" wont they.

By all means try your "strategy", but if you run CPM by Value Click Media /Underdog even Google Adsense they will all send you warnings for non family friendly content and if your not making much they will ban you straight up.

WG2010

Archived Member
The ads with the highest CTR on Facebook all have boobs/women/cleavage in them, even if it's not related to the topic (or even in English!).

Whether that would translate across to Google Preview, I do not know but I don't see it hurting.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
google seem to have targeted me for domain names so quite often i am pamela and crazy domains ........it could be worse !

Chris.C

Top Contributor
The ads with the highest CTR on Facebook all have boobs/women/cleavage in them, even if it's not related to the topic (or even in English!).
Bingo.

Boobs attract attention - winning attention is a big part of most marketing strategies - so it'd be unwise to discount it.

Do you think sites targeting girls will like it, do you think sites trying to get a message across will like it...If people are searching for something with intent they are not going to want to see tits like "car insurance", if they want to see tits they will search for "brunette boobs" wont they.
I'm not saying boobs will sell your product - I'm simply saying they help draw attention.

And there are ways of integrating boobs into more corporate marketing strategies.

Hot chicks with decent knockers in suits are freaking hot!

By all means try your "strategy", but if you run CPM by Value Click Media /Underdog even Google Adsense they will all send you warnings for non family friendly content and if your not making much they will ban you straight up.
I didn't say they had to be exposed boobs. Put em in a tight t-shirt. People have imaginations.

google seem to have targeted me for domain names so quite often i am pamela and crazy domains ........it could be worse !
Perfect example of attention grabbing. I definitely stare a Pam for a few seconds every time I pop on crazy domains to do a quick domain availability search.

Of course that doesn't mean I buy anything off crazy domains - but it definitely steals my attention for a moment.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member