What's new

Lottery Model Proposed for .AU

snoopy

Top Contributor
The Panel agreed that if the lottery process was adopted at the second stage of the consensus model, the winner of the lottery would have a period to register their domain name. Where the winner does not register within the allocated period, the domain name would become available to the public.
https://www.auda.org.au/assets/Uplo...review-panel-meeting-29.11.-Final-minutes.pdf

Can you imagine the lawsuits when realestate.com.au loses the lottery for realestate.au, news.com.au loses on news.au?

Lemon

Top Contributor
To minimise confusion, the Panel is proposing that generic TLDs, ISO Country Codes and 2 letter names be reserved and not made av ailable for registration. The Panel noted that reserved names will be discussed in the December meeting , in addition to names blocked by legislation.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I can imagine the 2 letter ones getting auctioned at a later date. Doubt there is any good reason why AUDA would need to hold them back.

Shane

Top Contributor
It definitely would be a bad outcome businesses that are just after one particular domain matching their .com.au.
For sure. The only real winners in this situation would be net.au holders who got lucky in the lottery.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Expect the auction talk to come real soon from AUDA. "It's the only fair way"... blah blah blah.

snoopy

Top Contributor
I will certainly be ****ed off if a domain I have owned for 10+ years ends up going to a .net.au owner who has had it for 12 months on the toss of a coin.

People have been picking up .id.au's etc because of this potential situation.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member