1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost my domain at Ventraip

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by geodomains, Apr 24, 2017.

1. geodomains

geodomains Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I am shocked to learn that my domain holidaystays.com.au sold on the weekend on the drops as I never recieved one renewal notice and my email address has not changed.
    It was my first hand registered domain 9 years ago and I would never had let it drop.
    I've logged a ticket this morning with Ventraip to find out why I was not notified and who is going to pay for my loss.

Don

2. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Sorry to hear that Don.

geodomains likes this.
  3. geodomains

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Well looks like I've fallen fowl to not updating my email address on the domain. The email address was an old one I have not used for years and my Ventraip account has a different email address.
    Apparently they are not obligated to send out a notice to the account holder. Wouldn't you think in this day and age they could implement that.
    Now you know why people lose their good domains. I think registars need to be have a secondry email address for all domain renewals.
    Don

4. Joel

Joel Membership: Community

True for the actual domain registration (ICANN style notices), but doesn't the domain renewal invoice get sent to the account holder? Did they send you an invoice?

5. geodomains

auDA Member:
    Yes
    No joel, it's up to the registrar to do that. Under auda rules they only have to send to the domain email address which sucks.

6. Tom

Tom Membership: Trader

I picked up a domain on the drops back in December last year for $25.
    A few weeks later i received an email from contact@whoisrabbit.net asking if i'd sell and for how much:

Hey Tom,
    I can see that you are the owner of the domain name ?.com.au. I have a client that is interested in acquiring the domain name and I was wondering if you would be interested in selling this domain? If yes, at what price?
    My client does have a budget to work with but I would appreciate discussing this further.
    If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience that would be appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Bruce

I replied but didn't hear back for a few weeks.
    Then i received a call from the former owner of the domain explaining that he owned it previously and didn't renew it because NetRegistry never sent him the renewal notice. Things then made sense... the whoisrabbit email was from NetRegistry (if you get an email from this address at least you know who it is now).
    I sold it back to him for $1,000... he was happy. He said that NetRegistry would pay for a portion of that.
    It's a shame VentraIP won't at least try and get it back for you.

geodomains likes this.
  7. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    How much did it go for?

I regularly log in and any coming up for renewal are highlighted. I never wait for the emails.

findtim likes this.
  8. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    $113 plus GST and buyers premium on Netfleet (just to be clear: I wasn't the buyer).

Christopher likes this.
  9. eg73

eg73 Membership: Community

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Ouch! a valuable lesson learnt..
    Off topic, I hope that one day they are allow yearly renewals as well in the .au name space. A yearly renewal for me means a more 'consistent renewal practice' I fear two yearly does not..

10. angelogiuffrida

angelogiuffrida Membership: VIP

Hi Don,

I want to firstly apologise that you have been placed in this situation - it certainly is not an ideal one to be in. As my team have advised you, we do send notices to the Registrant contact on the email address (as we are required to do under ICANN policy) to provide the Registrant with 90, 60, 30, 10, 5 and 1 day(s) notice of the impending domain licence expiration. This email actually comes from Synergy Wholesale (our wholesale provider) through their system and not from VentraIP Australia directly. We made the decision when we built that system (and the VIPControl connection to that system) to follow this behaviour because it is critical that the Registrant email address is kept up to date as it is used for other important information pertaining to your domain name and we wanted to ensure there was no confusion. That was, however, over 5 years ago and things change so it's something that I'll ensure we review internally (more on that later).

Because of this decision, we ensured that a message was placed in VIPControl where you update your email address to specifically advise you to ensure you update your Registrant contacts on your domain names:
    upload_2017-4-26_12-51-45.png

We also have this information (granted, it could be clarified and updated with more detail) on our support centre online at https://ventraip.com.au/faq/article/what-happens-when-my-gtld-domain-name-expires/ (specifically the "we will send the registrant contact on the domain name emails [...] days before expiration of the domain").

I am truly sorry that this has happened to you, however I can certainly assure you the feedback will be taken on-board and I believe there are already projects in the pipeline to provide functionality to clients to mirror an update to their VIPControl account email address across any domain name contacts in the same account. I will also suggest functionality for a monthly 'report' to be sent to the VIPControl account holder's email address that lists domain names in their VIPControl account that are due to expire in the coming month -- as Synergy Wholesale does to resellers with domain names that are coming up for renewal in their account. Finally, I can confirm, that after many years of patiently waiting, we will allow users to enable auto-renew on their domain names inside of VIPControl (Synergy Wholesale already has this functionality). Unfortunately I cannot confirm when this functionality will be coming - but I can assure you it will be soon.

Don, I am truly sorry this has happened to you and if you are looking for functionality for managing a portfolio of names then I do encourage you to look at Synergy Wholesale's offerings as their system is suited for management of domain names at scale and measures can be put into place to prevent a domain name expiring if the notice emails are missed or ignored.

Regards, Angelo.

DomainNames and Christopher like this.
  11. geodomains

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hi Angelo,
    Thanks for your response to the post. At least you acknowleged there is room for this problem to be overcome. I for one feel stupid for not relising account holders don't get a notice, only domain email addresses.
    Just goes to show even an old dog like me can slip up.
    Don

DomainNames likes this.
  12. Scott.L

Scott.L Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Thanks to you Geo, I went through my own domains and found that autorenew on old accounts associated to emails that I no longer use were in place, my CC expires soon so it would have been good buy domain.

13. Christopher

Christopher Membership: Community

wow sorry to hear of this happening. I suppose its easy to do, when you have lots of domains.

DomainNames and geodomains like this.
  14. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

Perhaps a 90 day renewal period like UK would have given you time to notice the admin error.
    Many people have numerous names these days.
    auDA should move to a policy update and a 90 day Grace renewal period.
    1- 10 year registrations is also needed. Reduced price for the longer period.

geodomains likes this.
  15. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Sorry to hear @geodomains

Longer registration periods would very welcome for .au's