What's new

Local Online Retail Stats

chris

Top Contributor
I came across an article on online retailing stats and thought I'd share it here.

After a rocky start, Australia's retailers have embraced the world of online commerce. But the sector still has some way to go before catching up with peers overseas.

Online shopping in Australia was worth about $12.1 billion in the year to September and represents about 5.5 per cent of total retail spending excluding food, according to figures provided by National Australia Bank.

Some interesting stats about mobile (I'm assuming tablets are included), I'd like to see more data on these numbers.

Over a quarter (26 per cent) of online purchases are now made on mobile devices, compared with 21 per cent last year, and this is expected to drive continued growth in online shopping. Mobile commerce is growing across age groups as well. In 2011, 18-25 year olds were the most likely to shop using their phones, but this year it’s 26-35 year olds.

The most popular online purchases are still electrical items (62 per cent), and clothing, footwear and personal accessories (61 per cent). The category to record the biggest jump has been food and groceries, now purchased online by 23 per cent of shoppers, compared with 17 per cent last year.

You can read the full article at The Age.

Cheers,
Chris

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members