What's new

Links Page(s) - OK or not post Penguin

shags38

Top Contributor
Is having a "Links" page on your site listing outbound links a good idea or not post Penguin (was it ever? :) ).

If it is OK what is the best way to structure such a page so as to be as crawler friendly as possible and still be effective??

cheers,
Shags

findtim

Top Contributor
i've never had an issue with giving outbound links from my sites even though i have read a MILLION articles that say you shouldn't do.

for my client sites i create a links page and that is the only place that outbound links are given, i feel that this method can ONLY hurt that page and not the site, i may be wrong but most of my clients site rank top 3 so i'm gonna keep doing it.

never link out from your homepage or footer, you are then just a puppet for the other site, having said that google adsense doesn't seem to matter or most affilaite links... don't know why?

BUTTTTT to contradict myself i have sites that internally link to many sites from many pages ( the sites have a long life 10+ years) and i have been told by experts that google THEN classes you as a "center of influence" if all the sites you are linking to are in the same genre business sector, and this seems to be true as my rankings haven't changed through the panda and penguin updates.

so man i must have confused you now ! sorry !

one thing i always do is make the site link , target="_blank" , this way the user doesn't loose your site and can come back to it.

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Is having a "Links" page on your site listing outbound links a good idea or not post Penguin (was it ever? :) ).

cheers,
Shags

I'd probably avoid a page dedicated to 'links' only. I would feel that Google would not rate highly or favourably if you had a 'links' page among your site (especially if you have a mini-site or little content). Seems dedicated 'links' pages are a little 1999-2003 to me.

I'd be much more inclined to create those outgoing links through anchored text links that you can create naturally within articles/content on your site.

James

Top Contributor
Links page with all no follow links with natural anchor text you should not have a problem.

Links page with all do follow links and non natural anchor text you may have a problem.

payattention

Archived Member
Why are you making these pages? I would guess you're linking to your own sites. If you're going to do that, I think you're better off making such links in and around your site instead of all on a single page.

If you're going to have a links page though, I wouldn't make every single link no follow. I disagree with James suggesting having a links page with all no follow links. Why would anyone take the time to create a page dedicated to external links and then tell Google that they don't trust any of them by making all no follow?

If it's one of your jewelery sites, I'd add a few no follow links to sites such as Tiffany, Swarovski and then insert your own links. No-one is going to see this page so you won't lose traffic to other websites.

This is only if I'd make a links page. I wouldn't but if you insist, that's what I'd do.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member