What's new

Kony Capitalism

FilthyCro

Please list ways to cash in on the Kony phenomena.....be they online or offline.

So far I have:
-tshirts (Kony's image isnt copyrighted)
-posters (especially on April 20)
-stickers

All of which can be sold online via a webstore.

Anymore?

findtim

Top Contributor
i've been to Uganda, 1991, a country of beautiful people still struggling to get over idi amin even though he went in 1979, what followed wasn't much better, the country was then and most likely STILL riddled with AIDS, the inflation rate was stupid, i cashed a $30 USD note and i had to take my day pack to fit all the notes into it !!!

I spoke to a new client last week that goes to uganda every year to do charity work and he said nothing much has changed.

I'm working with this new client to set up systems to send unique medical goods from OZ to uganda but i won't bore you with that now, if anyone has medical contacts in uganda please PM me.

IF you want to make money off kony please think about the people and make a portion being donated to the ugandian people, they are lovely and most do not hold guns and most just want a life like we have but in their country.

i'm not going to suggest charities to donate to but i need to say this, please pick a charity where what you donate goes to the people and not to administration of the charity, eg: i happen to know if you donate to a greenpeace person in the street THAT person gets 30%, their boss gets 10% and their boss gets 5% and so on.

My first thoughts as a marketer is that you could make money and sponsor my charity work but then i have to go that i can't be associated with this type of income, you might find the same if you try to donate profits but please do not say to yourself " ohhhhhh, no one wants my money so i'll just keep it" push yourself to find the right way of donating it.

BAMMMMM, not the reply you wanted ! LOL,

this reply is written in pure honesty so please take it that way.

tim

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Of course, profits from this stuff all go to charity. I'd be quite disgusted if someone took 100% of the revenue from this stuff.

findtim

Top Contributor
i wasn't saying 100%, i think people should make profit, my charity is "not for profit" but thats different.

i don't think you have a market though, i can just see 1 billlion tshirts pumping out of china right now heading for london and new york just like Che Guevara

tim

FilthyCro

I dunno ive heard conflicting reports.

From the media ive read Kony has been gone from Uganda for some 6+ years now...and the people of Northern Uganda now live in relative peace.

As such I think the entire Kony movie is flawed.

As such I have no ethical issue cashing in on Kony......and the money will not be going to Invisible Children (who spend about 70% of money raised on marketing/admin).

So.......anyone know any cheap poster printing services? :p

findtim

Top Contributor
i use" ready steady print dot com au" for my printing, great quality, fast turn around and free delivery to anywhere in australia, this isn't a plug its a fact that i have been using them for many years now.

-------------

i can't use the real domain name or business type but i can tell you a story which is true as i have met the guy and its not secondhand knowledge.

-------- so below is fake but the method is true -----------

this guy in "somewhere NSW" did judo and he was a photographer, so he got his judo teacher to pose in 100 different judo positions and photographed him, he then created a large poster of the 100 positions, he then built a website and made it rank top 3 for the search "judo poster" , he then went and set up an account with 2checkout which is an ecom website in USA and charged everything USD , they set him up with an amerian bank account! and posted him the eftpos card which he then just withdrew funds from, no tax, no nothing, this was in 2005, the guy was pulling @ $500 a week just in posters, when i spoke to him he was putting them into mail tubes and posting them himself, i suggested he should go to the local handcapped work centre and ask them to do the work, so we set up a system where the website produced sales, the email orders went to the guy and the centre, and the centre put the poster into the tube and sent them, they got paid on a set fee per poster and the guy ended up doing very little.

NOW, don't go "handcapped" on me, the organisation LOVED it, it gave people a sense of acheivement, everyone got paid and some even started doing judo ! win win.

$500 isn't alot but if you are sitting on your bum then its good money.

-----------

i'll email my contact in uganda tomorrow and ask him whats what, i hope north uganda is all cool, when i was there i tried to cross into sudan but wasn't allowed but HEY that was 20 years ago ....shit time flies...

but your target market is loose , i didn't know about kony until last month and had forgot about him till i saw it today !

tim

payattention

Archived Member
Your contact in Uganda - that's hilarious! I've not watched the Kony movie but I'm sick of hearing about it already. That's how life is in that part of the world. It's better to use the money for charity at home than overseas as we've got enough issues here that need addressing.

acheeva

Top Contributor
I did a bit of a post over here: http://jamesnorquay.com/kony-2012-who-is-joseph-kony-viral-video-campaign/

I think their is two sites too this story and I find it also worrying the charity behind this only put 31% of their earnings last financial year to Uganda and the other 69% went to Admin cost.

The flip side is that they are not a charity...their purpose is to create awareness & the 31% going to aid is a far greater sum than they would derive if they were a "me too" charity

It is all about transparency....if people are comfortable giving to the movement then great; if they want to fund aid then there are alternatives

findtim

Top Contributor
Your contact in Uganda - that's hilarious! I've not watched the Kony movie but I'm sick of hearing about it already. That's how life is in that part of the world. It's better to use the money for charity at home than overseas as we've got enough issues here that need addressing.

what bits hilarious? i have a guy in the red cross in uganda thats helping me with my charity.

I agree we should help at home first but sometimes how you can help isn't valid here so use your knowledge where its going to count most, each year in australia the government subsidises orthopeadic correction boots , http://www.childrensorthopaedics.com/clubfoottalipesequinovarus.html, for new born - 4yrs children to the sum of $264,000 ( @ $400 each )and each year all those boots are either stored away or thrown away, my charity is working on getting those boots to those who could never afford that, the service is not needed in OZ, its needed elsewhere.

FilthyCro

The flip side is that they are not a charity...their purpose is to create awareness & the 31% going to aid is a far greater sum than they would derive if they were a "me too" charity

It is all about transparency....if people are comfortable giving to the movement then great; if they want to fund aid then there are alternatives

char·i·ty (chr-t)
n. pl. char·i·ties
1. Provision of help or relief to the poor; almsgiving.
2. Something given to help the needy; alms.
3. An institution, organization, or fund established to help the needy.
4. Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity.
5. Indulgence or forbearance in judging others. See Synonyms at mercy.
6. often Charity Christianity The theological virtue defined as love directed first toward God but also toward oneself and one's neighbors as objects of God's love.

They sure sound like a charity to me.

acheeva

Top Contributor
char·i·ty (chr-t)
n. pl. char·i·ties
1. Provision of help or relief to the poor; almsgiving.
2. Something given to help the needy; alms.
3. An institution, organization, or fund established to help the needy.
4. Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity.
5. Indulgence or forbearance in judging others. See Synonyms at mercy.
6. often Charity Christianity The theological virtue defined as love directed first toward God but also toward oneself and one's neighbors as objects of God's love.

They sure sound like a charity to me.

My point was that their primary purpose is clearly stated to be one of creating awareness of the issues

findtim

Top Contributor
acheeva, side issue, the viro.com.au has this on the website

"Joining fee waived for merchants signing up before the end of 2010!

Includes free advertising and web page."

.... 2010.... ?

acheeva

Top Contributor
acheeva, side issue, the viro.com.au has this on the website

"Joining fee waived for merchants signing up before the end of 2010!

Includes free advertising and web page."

.... 2010.... ?

Thank you

We have a major upgrade package in development...hopefully this is addressed

acheeva

Top Contributor
Ex Twitter -
"Jason Russell the guy who made the Kony documentary was arrested last night for masturbating in public. I guess his new slogan is #Horny2012"

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member