What's new

Just leased my first emd domain & website!

helloworld

Top Contributor
Not much more to add. Pat yourselves on the back though, I doubt I would have done this without this forum and all the content contributed by all members. I do try and read every single thread that comes up, whether I post in it or not.

I guess I could include a couple of things for those that are interested.

It's a hyphenated domain.
Ranks well on Google and now with a buyer it should rank better.
It's a traffic site.

I went for the lease option for a few reasons.

1. easier for client to swallow cost
2. I retain ownership of the real estate.
3. Site already generates traffic, if I can double/triple this I can charge more.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Nice work!

How did you find the buyer?

I'd initially built the site with a particular business in mind. I approched the owner whom I had an existing relationship with. I built it at no cost, put in all the initial seo work, he then sent me an email saying 2 months later saying he had decided to close down, so unfortunately I wasn't quick enough for him.

I then called the local business, got the owners name, went through standard, "argh I hate sales people" calls mentioned what happened etc. I then gave him a lead that had come through the contact form, which I followed up with him and then potential buyer.

I then sent him another email saying I'd leave him alone but to let me know. The next day I had another enquiry. So, I rang him again, got past the gate keepers and then teed up a meeting. I also gave him the other lead.

Interestingly enough, between contacting him and receiving the lead on the website, I sent out individual emails to about a dozen businesses in same industry. I got 1 response from a business that didn't want to lease or the website but did want to buy the domain.

No idea what it was worth, but as I mentioned to Tim in a DM the search traffic is in excess of $5k. So IMO more value in the website as a whole rather than domain only, the potential buyer has a rather decent website though and this is more lead generation styled site.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
yes do share this heart warming domainer story ( only small percentage of this stuff works) ........truly interested

sorry you posted 2 secs before me

time frame on lease, is it lease to buy after set time frame, revenue .......and so on only if comfortable sharing this info

helloworld

Top Contributor
Nah no lease to buy option. To quote the owner "as long as the phone is ringing, I don't give a ****" which is pretty standard.

findtim

Top Contributor
Nah no lease to buy option. To quote the owner "as long as the phone is ringing, I don't give a ****" which is pretty standard.

small businesses remain small business because of comments like that, what i say to them is " don't just think about how much money you will make, think about how much money you will loose to a competitor"

this has worked for me over 80% of the time, its also been used on me :) and you know who you are :D

now ( because i actually knwo the domain in question) i can't see why you can't go and do the same thing to almost every town in australia with a population over say 30K you will eventually get a buyer, i'll PM you a lead.

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor

surprised they did not seek a buy option ..............lucky you

Did you write up the contract yourself ?

What period of time is the lease ?

helloworld

Top Contributor
That's pretty much my thoughts Tim and what I am going to attempt to do and appreciate your advice. It has really helped. Hoping to get to that point.

Spacey, I have SEO contracts which I hardly use. The fact is with SEO it's advertising. Real world people don't understand SEO they understand advertising. So the way i see it, as long as I offer them value and they can see ROI they won't cancel. So I haven't offered a set time for the lease. For some companies I can imagine you would, but having come from advertising, I know that if a business has been around a couple of years then they probably aren't going anywhere.

The only request I have made in writing is that they give me 33 days notice if they are going to cancel. This gives me time to find a new tennant.

A contract could be useful in some situations but for this, I haven't used it.

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Not much more to add. Pat yourselves on the back though, I doubt I would have done this without this forum and all the content contributed by all members. I do try and read every single thread that comes up, whether I post in it or not.

I guess I could include a couple of things for those that are interested.

It's a hyphenated domain.
Ranks well on Google and now with a buyer it should rank better.
It's a traffic site.

I went for the lease option for a few reasons.

1. easier for client to swallow cost
2. I retain ownership of the real estate.
3. Site already generates traffic, if I can double/triple this I can charge more.

Congrats well done

Do you mind sharing how much you leased this hyphenated domain website for?

I would of got them to agree to a 12month contract to lease the site.

I take it you built a site then found a business to lease it?

johno69

Top Contributor
doesnt really answer what I asked :rolleyes:

Okay then. So when you asked..

I take it you built a site then found a business to lease it?

And the OP said..

I'd initially built the site with a particular business in mind. I approched the owner whom I had an existing relationship with.

I then called the local business, got the owners name, went through standard, "argh I hate sales people" calls mentioned what happened etc.

Doesn't answer your question?

I seriously think you just rather roll your eyes than read sometimes. I give up trying to help you.

Oh look we can all use these things... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

xwdomains

Top Contributor
Okay then. So when you asked..

And the OP said..

Doesn't answer your question?

I seriously think you just rather roll your eyes than read sometimes. I give up trying to help you.

Oh look we can all use these things... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

you have posted arrogantly in several posts of mine and are not helping at all

I was asking the OP not YOU

There is an ignore button I suggest you use it I have

johno69

Top Contributor
you have posted arrogantly in several posts of mine and are not helping at all

Please clearly explain how this is arrogant..

http://www.dntrade.com.au/showpost.php?p=49318&postcount=16

I simply posted a link to the answer of your question, which the OP had already taken the time to answer.

It's a shame text on a screen does not portray emotion.

There is an ignore button I suggest you use it I have

You are the reason I stopped posting at all. And the reason i'll be loggin off and saying goodbye for good.

You can't even help anyone without being called arrogant. **** that.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member