What's new

Joomla Stripped Back

loho27

As everyone knows Joomla out of the box is a very complex CMS.

I'm thinking of putting together a 5 to 6 page minimim install version ideal for minisite's.

If anyone is interested, I'll put one together over the weekend and make available for download next week.

Kind Regards

PS can't spell

DavidL

Top Contributor
I really like Joomla but what's the benefit of a stripped down version?

It's free to use anyway isn't it so why wouldn't you want access to all the features even if you don't use them?

Does it help with the initial setup?

loho27

I love it also, but the out of the box install has all the features that really bloat it.

This can be really confusing and difficult for those that have never run it before.

By default most new users will install the sample data which makes it even more confusing.

The reason for stripping it back is

a) The create a simple web template/cms ideal for mini-sites

b) No or minimilist configuration required

c) add a logo

d) 2 mods positions 1 for newsfeeds 1 ads

If there are any other suggestions let me know

Regards

soj

Founder
I have given Joomla a go before, and have found it to be pretty complicated not only to use, but to modify too. This is why I either make a simple custom cms for the project im doing, or just get wordpress up and running, with Fantastico its a one click install. Most people would know wordpress as a blog, but with the feature of pages, and the index changed to a page (all edited in the admin control panel) then I would see this as a much better alternative than a stripped down (or full version) of joomla.

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
They are both good.. both have good community support..

Wordpress is easy to use and can handle almost all of your on site SEO.

Joomla is more powerful and has a steeper learning curve.

I'd go with WP for mini sites as there are many good looking free themes available and it's easy to setup as previously mentioned.

Another option could be Movable Type.. I think you can manage multiple sites from the one install.

loho27

This really is becoming like the Holden/Ford debate.

I really depends on what you are comfortable with.

The main problem with Joomla for mini-sites is that it is too big.

Hence wanting to put together a Joomla Lite

Kind Regards

soj

Founder
Thanks for that loho, I'll have to give it a bit of a play around, it might be more useful to me than i previously thought.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member