What's new

Joomla Rocks

helloworld

Top Contributor
Weird post Op. IMO Joomla is a pos. it's like it's stuck in no mans land somewhere between wp and drupal.

Joomla found its own after 1.6. It is on 3.1 now. With 35 million downloads I wouldn't call it no mans land. I found Wordpress lacking on a lot of fronts when I did a comprehensive review of all the CMS. Wordpress has come a long way since then and a lot of the extensions are being produced for both now. A lot of the best designers are now producing the same for both Joomla and Wordpress.

My favourite designers are:

Gavick.com
YooTheme.com
RocketTheme.com

petermeadit

Top Contributor
I must admit I used to work in Joomla and found it both difficult to develop for and also users found it hard to update their own content. It seemed to take much longer to complete any tasks with this platform. Also was not keen on all the .ini files for configuration.

I have have had potential clients asking me to work on their Joomla project, but I decline them instead referring them to WordPress. I have seen dev times increase and user satisfaction improve.

Last real project I did on Joomla was 2008, there may have been improvements since them?

zhenjie

Top Contributor
I also started with Joomla before slowly migrating most development to Wordpress. Haven't touched Joomla since 1.5 but I think I might dabble again with v3 and see how its' improved.

James

Top Contributor
I think it is on a site by site basis, if you just want to build a standard site with decent security Joomla can be a good option. I know a guy who owns a Joomla dev agency in Sydney. That been said wordpress is probably better for me at the moment with the right set up it can work very effectively.

findtim

Top Contributor
Joomla found its own after 1.6.

yep, and I had to rebuild a shit load of sites done in 1.5 , they totally screwed up IMHO , having to tell a client your website is DEAD is never a good phone call to make.

thankfully I converted most to WP and everything has been wonderful since, I still have a few clients sitting in J 1.5 but at least I have told them they need to convert.

"wordpress on steroids" , possibly if the business can afford a full time web dev to run it.

i'm never touching joomla again without a stupidly ridiculous budget that nobody would pay for, and THEN i'd just get someone else to do it for me.

tim

djuqa

Top Contributor
Joomla 3.1 Mega ROCKS
WP 3.1.7 only rocks

I love the comments from people saying they think Joomla! sucks but haven't used it in 5 years
A lot has changed in 5 years with all CMS packages including Joomla!

findtim

Top Contributor
Joomla 3.1 Mega ROCKS
WP 3.1.7 only rocks

I love the comments from people saying they think Joomla! sucks but haven't used it in 5 years
A lot has changed in 5 years with all CMS packages including Joomla!

and I wasn't going to hang around for 5 years whilst they sorted the mess out.

glad you think they are now brilliant, but there are some many things in this world, pc/mac , joomla/wp , woocom/magento, iphone/android etcccc

you just have to pick your path I guess

tim

djuqa

Top Contributor
and I wasn't going to hang around for 5 years whilst they sorted the mess out.

glad you think they are now brilliant, but there are some many things in this world, pc/mac , joomla/wp , woocom/magento, iphone/android etcccc

you just have to pick your path I guess

tim
Exactly my point
Use the best tool available currently for the latest job.
It would be like saying drive a Holden because the "T" model FORD sucked in 1920. How many are still using the same Mobile that you used 5 years AGO?
Web development tools like all aspects of CIT change almost DAILY.
I mainly use Joomla! or WP depending on what is needed, but have used several other packages for specific jobs.
I prefer Joomla! for most jobs, but several of my own sites use WP because it better for that particular site.
But neither is perfect for all sites/uses/projects.

NicMason.com

Exactly my point
Use the best tool available currently for the latest job.
It would be like saying drive a Holden because the "T" model FORD sucked in 1920. How many are still using the same Mobile that you used 5 years AGO?
Web development tools like all aspects of CIT change almost DAILY.
I mainly use Joomla! or WP depending on what is needed, but have used several other packages for specific jobs.
I prefer Joomla! for most jobs, but several of my own sites use WP because it better for that particular site.
But neither is perfect for all sites/uses/projects.

Totally agree. Yeah, that Model T really needed some work on the user interface.

I'm primarily using Joomla for myself, as I can get the results I need from it for complex community sites. For clients, most of them only need a Wordpress site, which is easier for them to manage. I even use Wordpress for my personal portfolio site.

I certainly can't fault the Wordpress interface. Great stuff.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo