What's new

its just $1 more

findtim

Top Contributor
snoopy made a good point so i have moved the conversation here if you want to join

Even then carsales are only paying $1 more than the highest domainer so it is still the domainers (ie the underbidder) who sets the price.

So are you saying snoopy they just proxy $10k on car domains and let it be?

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
Dunno, dropping domains, general domain discussion, doesn't matter. Just stood out it was moved.

findtim

Top Contributor
Dunno, dropping domains, general domain discussion, doesn't matter. Just stood out it was moved.

i didn't move it, i just started another conversation, perhaps i put it in the wrong place?

i am no longer a mod, i have no ability to move or change anything.

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
NOW, can we get back onto snoopys good point on carsales and what that means to us as there are other "carsales business" out there.

tim

Chris.C

Top Contributor
What it means is that educated AU domain buyers are hard to come by, finding two in one industry is rare, finding two in one industry that are willing to put serious money into domains is even rarer, which MEANS negotiating AU domains sales is still the better way of selling AU domains for the time being...

snoopy

Top Contributor
So are you saying snoopy they just proxy $10k on car domains and let it be?

tim

No idea on what they do, the point is in an auction with multiple bidders the final price is set by the underbidder. So unless there is two enduser at the end the final price is set by a domainer even when an enduser buys.

Only real exception would be someone putting in some crazy fixed bid way above the next highest but that is rare, not sure if it is even possible with netfleet.

snoopy

Top Contributor
which MEANS negotiating AU domains sales is still the better way of selling AU domains for the time being...

I don't agree with that.

If say "enduser X" is an auction and they want to win they might have a proxy of $10,000. They might think the auction will end at $1000 but they might have a proxy 10 times that just in case.

In a private sale scenario they might think the name is worth $1000. Likely they'll offer below that, eg $500. If the seller says "buy I want 10k" they'll probably just say "it isn't worth that" and walk away or just wait.

The dynamics are totally different, a private sale is about getting the name as cheaply as possible whereas an auction is about getting it at your limit or under. The private sale is the buyer against the seller, the auction is the buyer A against buyer B.

Personally I have negotiated with people in the past, they've said their limit is X, I've said I want 2X and they've said clearly no. I've then sent it to auction and they've bidded to 3X and lost the auction. Has happened a couple of times with me in the last few years. An auction dynamic is totally different to a private sale, there is no right or wrong way to sell in my view.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Personally I have negotiated with people in the past, they've said their limit is X, I've said I want 2X and they've said clearly no. I've then sent it to auction and they've bidded to 3X and lost the auction. Has happened a couple of times with me in the last few years. An auction dynamic is totally different to a private sale, there is no right or wrong way to sell in my view.

Just a quick Q if you don't mind, Did you send to auction knowing there was only one interested party or did you find a second potential end-user, and if so - how?

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just a quick Q if you don't mind, Did you send to auction knowing there was only one interested party or did you find a second potential end-user, and if so - how?

When I've done it in the past usually it is at a level where I think the price is "ok", didn't have another buyer. I also emailed people who have previously been interested in the domain.

findtim

Top Contributor
I also emailed people who have previously been interested in the domain.

i think thats the key that many people miss, TELL people, don't just place it on AMA and hope, find the end user... do some work to get people bidding

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
i think thats the key that many people miss, TELL people, don't just place it on AMA and hope, find the end user... do some work to get people bidding

tim

TBH I don't know if that has ever actually helped. In past with auctions I've email people who have inquired in the past and also ran some ads on domaining.com but I have no idea if either really has any any effect. With the emails, I would have sent them out for maybe 100 different domains in the past. I've never really had people saying they are definitely going to bid or telling me they won the auction. Usually it is muted interest. (these are .com's and sedo auctions).

The one auction I ran on netfleet I pushed it to auction and it got one more person interested pushing the price up by $1.

findtim

Top Contributor
surely if you are selling "finance.com.au" then contacting people will work?

i'd like to hear from ex "hobart.com.au" or "centralcoast" "sunshinecoast" members if possible.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
surely if you are selling "finance.com.au" then contacting people will work?

i'd like to hear from ex "hobart.com.au" or "centralcoast" "sunshinecoast" members if possible.

tim

Wouldn't assume that at all. It may or may not work. Just because it is a great domain does not mean endusers will be interested at prices around what it is worth or bid at the auction.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
We experimented with this and here is an interesting example of what a difference a few phone calls can make (followed up with targeted emails)

cosmetic dentists sydney [dotcomdotau] sold 2011-07-25 for $10

cosmetic dentists melbourne [dotcomdotau] sold 2012-01-10 for $2105
(after calling a few dentists who are active online, and managed to get two of them interested at the same time)

This happens daily when we are calling people up, but above is a nice neat example as there was a recent similar sale to use for a comparison.

I don't think emails alone help much since they very seldom get to the target person and are generally ignored. If you phone first, then follow up with an email (containing a link to the auction) then you will have better success.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo