What's new

istockphoto.com drops prices

findtim

Top Contributor
if you haven't already heard istockphoto.com has dropped its prices, you can now buy images of any size all at the same price.

they have 2 different categories, the crap from the past and the good stuff.

i spoke to a professional stock photographer mate of mine on the weekend about it as he is employed by istock to access image and approve them, he said due to massive competition they had to make a move in their pricing structure.

he believes that the previous increasingly high prices for stock on istockphoto was reducing sales and this comes from a guy that makes his entire income from istock so he certainly knows.

what they are hoping for by the change and reduced cost is to have an increase in turnover.

i know myself i use to use them but had left them last year as it was just to overpriced, but i will now be looking back to using them.

beware of the cost of credits depending which image you view as some images are still overpriced IMO

tim

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Yep, the pricing of the market has shifted and if they don't adapt they'll bleed market share like crazy.

I pretty much use dollarphotoclub.com exclusively now (along with 'free to use' media sites like Wikimedia Commons). $1 per image is quite hard to beat.

findtim

Top Contributor
yes, i shifted to dollar photo , pretty hard to beat and also your credits don't run out which is a big plus.

website clients just don't like paying $50 for an image that is only 72dpi. nor should they i feel

tim

Yep, the pricing of the market has shifted and if they don't adapt they'll bleed market share like crazy.

I pretty much use dollarphotoclub.com exclusively now (along with 'free to use' media sites like Wikimedia Commons). $1 per image is quite hard to beat.

Thanks for the tip Demonoid, I didnt know about dollar photo club and was getting stitched by other sites

marketingweb

Top Contributor
If you look at iStockPhoto, it's not ACTUALLY dropping prices by anywhere near as much as they claim, yes it's a bit better on some, but combined with a lot of smoke and mirrors.

What they have essentially done is significantly reduce the amount of CREDITS needed per image, as well as simplifying the pricing structure. BUT the cost per credit is up significantly. Existing credits will be refactored by something like 1:5 (I might have the figure wrong, but something like that). Sort of like when they do with the stockmarket sometimes.

findtim

Top Contributor
If you look at iStockPhoto, it's not ACTUALLY dropping prices by anywhere near as much as they claim, yes it's a bit better on some, but combined with a lot of smoke and mirrors.

What they have essentially done is significantly reduce the amount of CREDITS needed per image, as well as simplifying the pricing structure. BUT the cost per credit is up significantly. Existing credits will be refactored by something like 1:5 (I might have the figure wrong, but something like that). Sort of like when they do with the stockmarket sometimes.

you r correct "smoke and mirrors"

i think it works for "print" purchasing images but not for "web 72 dpi"

i was excited but once i investigated further i'm no longer excited, but i still think it was news-worthy

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Wow i need a photo ... i dont want to subscribe, i dont want monthly credits. I just want one photo and so far i am discovering that it is not going to be a cheap exercise, i normally pay the $14 at fotolia.com but thought i would shop around this time. They wonder why they get ripped off so much

findtim

Top Contributor
find it on dollar photos and i'll buy it for you, just send me the number.

that way they get paid fairly.

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Tim at no stage did i say i was going to rip them off, i kinda see it the other way around, that's my point. If need be i will let you know but i am exploring my options as to what's out there. Cheers

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I found what i needed at pond5.com they seem to have a variety of prices, what i did like was i could join via facebook and just checkout, none of this buying credits rubbish, just pay and download the image you want, this may suit some folk like me

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member