What's new

Isn't the obvious shortening of .com.au simply .com?

snoopy

Top Contributor
In my view the only genuine argument that remains from the 2015 names panel report is the shortness argument. The other arguments like following .uk and competing with new tlds haven't stood the test of time.

Yes, .au is shorter than .com.au but how many people really care greatly about this to the point that it would overrule all the negatives?

If it was a big issue wouldn't those people just use a .com, it shorter, it won't have the same confusion issue as .au, easy to register, cheap, widely known and respected. Australian's love .com's even more than .com.au in my view.

If you were doing an ad campaign and shortness was a big factor (and think very rarely would anyone care about this issue) why would you use a .au over a .com?

DomainNames

Top Contributor
.uk registrations are 9% of their .co.uk option
.nz registrations are 6% of their .co.nz option

Any claims the shorter version is in high demand and better is not only misinformed it is often pure B.S. and just fake lies. The actual registration data is FACT.

DNC OFFICIAL REPORT - DOMAIN NAME COMMISSION NEW ZEALAND

NZ fact the .nz has failed and is not "remarkably successful" as claimed
"Figure 3 shows the total number of domain names increased from 640,342 (at 1 April 2015) to 656,607 (at 31 March 2016) – a growth of 16,265, or 2.5 percent. The dip between February and March 2016 reflects the one-year anniversary of the end of the preferential registration and registration period - an important part of the registrations direct at the second level change.

It appears that some registrants, having exercised their preferential registration rights, have subsequently let the shorter version of their name drop. "

https://www.dnc.org.nz/sites/default/files/2016-08/Domain Name Commission - Annual Report - .pdf

Scott.L

Top Contributor
why would you use a .au over a .com?

The answer is obvious, "Locality" - people respond to local presence ".au" more than an international extension ".com" + the .au resonates a type of national pride..etc...

snoopy

Top Contributor
The answer is obvious, "Locality" - people respond to local presence ".au" more than an international extension ".com" + the .au resonates a type of national pride..etc...

I agree if it were talking about .com.au. There is an obvious benefit in choosing an extension with local flavour for many types of businesses. But I do not see the benefit of .au over .com. To me .au looks like a typo. If think people respond to ".com.au" not the version with some letters deleted.

Scott.L

Top Contributor
Australian's love .com's even more than .com.au in my view.
c'mon that's a guess unless you have stats to share.

But I do not see the benefit of .au over .com. To me .au looks like a typo.
Sorry, I didn't exactly read your point; yes, looks like a typo.

In my view the only genuine argument that remains from the 2015 names panel report is the shortness argument. The other arguments like following .uk and competing with new tlds haven't stood the test of time

I disagree with the shortness argument as a positive - Why did .com do so well? it was "first to market" it could of easily been .web and we would also be saying .web instead of .com - conditioning is powerful and difficult to replace because everything proposed to change it will always be inferior to what is accepted and established as belief. The proposed implementation of .au will never truly be accepted, it will always be inferior and after enough people have wasted enough money on it, then the extension will simply become one of those embarrassing moments ... (classic pump and dump)

snoopy

Top Contributor
c'mon that's a guess unless you have stats to share.

Here is a list of the 50 most popular sites with Australian's

https://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/AU

.com - 33 sites
.com.au - 11 sites

I disagree with the shortness argument as a positive - Why did .com do so well? it was "first to market" it could of easily been .web and we would also be saying .web instead of .com - conditioning is powerful and difficult to replace because everything proposed to change it will always be inferior to what is accepted and established as belief. The proposed implementation of .au will never truly be accepted, it will always be inferior and after enough people have wasted enough money on it, then the extension will simply become one of those embarrassing moments ... (classic pump and dump)

Agree with you. What I'm say is that shortness is the only "arguable" reason left. I don't think many people actually care about shortness though. The other Names Policy Panel arguments are well and truly dead now in my view.

I also agree .au will eventually become an embarrassing moment if ever brought in. It is going to be years of AUDA saying,

".AU hasn't had a strong uptake, what can we do to make .au more popular?".

This is the same thing that happened with .id.au, it happened with .net.au and the state governments are going through the same stuff with .melbourne and .sydney, but it takes years before AUDA and state govt's will admit it isn't worth spending more money promoting.

AUDA has an opportunity to avoid tomorrow problems.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
.com isn't australian,

.com isn't anything really but an archaic legacy domain extension used prematurely by boring and unimaginative people

snoopy

Top Contributor
It's the world of Internet

Yep, for those who really want to shorten I don't think having an Australian tld will be the main priority.

Not that many care about the tld shortness issue anyway in my view. Different for the keywords before the dot where people will sometimes go to great lengths to shorten.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member