What's new

is your code yours or theirs?

findtim

Top Contributor
one of my small clients rang today, a (.org.au ) and says that one of their club members " knows everything about websites and want to take their website back so he can update it so .... can we have the passwords "

now i have no problem with that BUT, then i thought, hmmmmm, i built that site, its not an out of box wordpress template as i manipulated the function.php, home.php and CSS.

which fair enough they paid for.

but i also pay a yearly fee for the gravity form they use, the slider they use, and a few other plugins which i have bought unlimited site licences.

so, do i remove them? i'd look like a mean person, do i continue to pay renewals with no payment return for me.

NOTE: i've really dumbed this situation down as its worse then just a form and slider.

--------------

i had a thought i could say " no worries, but your yearly fee pays for these plugin renewals, so if you would like to move thats OK, andhere are the links to the website to purchase your own license as you will not be able to use mine"

is that fair?

so leaving me may actually cost them another $300+ p/a , because i spread the renewal costs across many businesses, eg: if something cost $100 p/a and i know i can use it more then 5 times i will purchase it.

another thing is if i hand over a website with my "paid plugin" registration number in it, i m then in no control of how many times they could re-use it.

whats your thoughts? i've mentioned this type of thing before but it still bugs me.

tim

phpdev

Sounds completely fair.
Where you have bought multisite/domain licences for a plugin, I would deactivate it, delete it, or replace it with the free version. Custom coding you have added to the "function.php" file, its tricky. What have they actually paid you for over the time you handled their site?

I had this same problem in the past, and decided to split my offering in 2. Managed Wordpress hosting and customer DIY option. With managed, I lease the hosting to them, and the more features and plugins they use the higher the monthly rental. They never get FTP access, and when they want to leave they can export their data and media files only. I own the themes, plugins and everything else.

Customer DIY option - the customer finds a web hosting plan, pays for it themsleves and grants me FTP access to manage the site. Everything I put into it is theirs.

The last time I gave a client FTP access, and allowed a 3rd party to manage their site, they installed plugins that consumed way to many system resources.

Your customer will soon realise the benefit they had of using you, and the added value you provided. Hardest part sometimes is letting go of a website you had put your time and energy into. I would suggest you make them migrate and setup new hosting elsewhere, and just tell them that you existing site is on a server with other websites, and I can't just "hand over the passwords". This will force the new club member who "knows everything about websites", to do a clean install on wordpress.

johno69

Top Contributor
You remove the licences and explain to them that the licences are valid while in your control, the addons* will need to be licenced via them and send them links where to purchase. Then remove your keys and let them go.

Due to their new guy knowing everything about websites they'll be fine to add licences back in.

When it breaks, and they come running back, charge them the retail cost of the licences again.

*I don't call them plugins to clients as they generally have no understanding of the term.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
They paid you to create the custom code, so I'd let them take everything apart from the keys. Export the site and get their guy to host it.

If you're worried about IP, then you could make them sign something. Although ownership is probably up for debate.. and who really wants to get into a fight over some CSS and WP functions.

Personally I would make it as easy as possible for them. They may still come back or refer work to you.

findtim

Top Contributor
good tips thanks, if they move they TOTALLY move.

removing the keys is a good suggestion, that way the site is still what they paid for just needs them to pay their own fees, i think that is a good solution.

swapping gravity forms to contact7 or something requires work so i don't think they would pay and also i don't feel like doing that kinda fixit job anyway.

thanks

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
swapping gravity forms to contact7 or something requires work so i don't think they would pay and also i don't feel like doing that kinda fixit job anyway.

Gravity works without a key, you just can't update it. When the time comes to update they will need to buy a licence key.

James

Top Contributor
You remove the licences and explain to them that the licences are valid while in your control, the addons* will need to be licenced via them and send them links where to purchase. Then remove your keys and let them go.

Due to their new guy knowing everything about websites they'll be fine to add licences back in.

When it breaks, and they come running back, charge them the retail cost of the licences again.

*I don't call them plugins to clients as they generally have no understanding of the term.

I agree with this advice, we had a client recently where they called us in to do training for the business, they loved the training. They wanted us to start doing work on the site on an on going basis...GREAT!!! Now after doing a few months work, we get an email that the "Cousin" of the business owner is going to take over all project work (this is not a small business they have locations all over AUS and a big office). We say no worries, I am sure he knows what they are doing. Only thing which kind of made me annoyed was the cousin was trying to contradict some of the work we were doing and talk badly about it.

A few months down the track they are emailing back for help because the "Cousin" who is the "expert" stuffed the whole link profile and the site is no longer "effective".

I guess in circumstances like this if a good friend of the business or a family member wants to take over the project, their is no point fighting you just have to let them have control. Let the so called "expert" take over.

TrafficSauce

I guess in circumstances like this if a good friend of the business or a family member wants to take over the project, their is no point fighting you just have to let them have control. Let the so called "expert" take over.

Sage advice.

Everyone has a friend/relation who is an "expert" on computers/websites/investing/buying a car. :)

helloworld

Top Contributor
Haha what makes me laugh about that is a client whose previous company really were shit used the excuse "moving to a family friend seo". He forwarded their condescending emails "please tell your family friend seo".... Etc lol

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo