What's new

Is '.net' a good option?

Ash

Top Contributor
Hi all,

Just wondering if .net is a decent choice for a domain in Australia?

I have the .com.au/.net.au variants but for this particular project would prefer to use a gTLD... .com is taken but .net is available.

What's your experience?

Thanks.

Ashman

Top Contributor
Just wondering if .net is a decent choice for a domain in Australia?
Thanks.

I recently acquired my first .net domain name. I made sure that the domain contained the geographical location of my service, so in my case I used the word Australia. I did this so Google would know where to put it in the search results if it was indexed.

I have used this method in the past with a .com and that eventually resulted in a page one listing for the EMD. I should emphasise the importance of EMD.

Reactions: Ash

helloworld

Top Contributor
.net will rank just as well as the others stated. The problem is trust factor so make sure they have other factors like phone and address sorted imo

findtim

Top Contributor
.net.au is bad enough let alone a .net for an aussie business, then adding "australia" to make it a long tail just kills it for me.

what i do is either change my concept or try to buy the one i want.

tim

Ashman

Top Contributor
.net.au is bad enough let alone a .net for an aussie business, then adding "australia" to make it a long tail just kills it for me.

what i do is either change my concept or try to buy the one i want.

tim

I didn't purchase the .net domain extension for an Australian business, I bought it for a website targeted at generating adsense income in Australia.

http://www.taxcalculatoraustralia.net

That .net EMD has about [2000] exact searches per month in Australia.

Yes I could have spent $2500 on a .com.au EMD but that strategy would take too long to break even. I spent $7 on the .net and would expect the return on investment to be better than the more expensive .com.au domain.

This strategy is not one that I would use all the time but in this case it works fine for my purpose.

findtim

Top Contributor
i agree with your "break even point" strategy, i'd be interested to know later if you actually end up with that many visits, 2000 exacts p/m sounds incorrect to me for the long tail.

i think "exacts" are over rated.

tim

Ashman

Top Contributor
2000 exacts p/m sounds incorrect to me for the long tail. i think "exacts" are over rated. tim

Tim, have you done any research to support your claim? I have.

Do you purchase exact match domain names for yourself and/or your clients? If so why? Since you say exacts are over-rated.

findtim

Top Contributor
i buy for both

i think i confused you between "exacts" a number and EMD a domain name, i still believe strongly in EMD but i do't chose my purchases based on what google says is th eamount of people directly typing in the MED

especially .net.au which i have about 4 of and only because i own the .com.au as i think they are really saying the exacts are of the .com.au which would mean the .net.au gets no traffic.

as for research, yes i have over the last 10 years and with both up and down stats on google comparison, thats why i don't trust them, i don't ignore them, but as i said i don't buy because of them.

tim

Ashman

Top Contributor
i buy for both

i think i confused you between "exacts" a number and EMD a domain name, i still believe strongly in EMD but i do't chose my purchases based on what google says is th eamount of people directly typing in the MED

tim

What is the MED?

helloworld

Top Contributor
Actually, thread reminds me I bought itservicesmelbourne.net. Similar reasoning tho different purpose. I started my current business as a .net as well (also it related). I honestly don't think sign ups we're hurt by the extrnsion at all. Could be industry based though.

I'd roll with it. You can always change it later. It's not like you're building a brand with this domain. Most users won't visit more than once

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member