What's new

Is it just me or....

DavidL

Top Contributor
Whenever people start appraising domains there are often the extreme arguments.

One camp will say 'worthless', the other will say 'an absolute goldmine' and there will be plenty of people in the middle. Of course it makes sense that there's a range of opinions.

But what I find interesting is that the ones who are on the extreme ends of the appraisals are the ones who never buy nor sell domains. And they are the most passionate about their respective viewpoints despite not actually being active in the market.

You would have thought, seeing as their opinions are on the extreme, they'd be very busy either cashing in on the sucker buyers or snapping up the bargains to be seen everywhere.

Just a casual observation....

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think there is also something to be said for how people go about investing in domains. I myself tend to rely heavily on search metrics, others prefer to rely on brandability, some like to hand reg the hottest new products coming to market etc this difference of perspective leads to difference of opinion on value especially for domains that aren't your speciality...

It's a bit like investing in stocks - some rely on the metric and are value based investors just looking for companies with consistent earnings at low valuations, some are happy to pay a higher price for fast growing companies and have a growth investment strategy, some opt to buy lots of hot tech/mining stocks on the hope that just one strikes it rich even if all the others fail..

The reality is you can make money with any of the above methods if you work hard and smart - it's just a matter of what suits your temperament.

Some people are born hustlers, they might be better at selling the razzle dazzle of a brandable domain that has no search volume to a buyer who also care more about brandibilty than search volumes and others might be more inclined towards spotting value in domains with high search volumes and opting to park or develop the domain in the intrim while they wait for an SEO/PPC savvy buyer to also realise the value and pay a fair price.

Different strokes for different folks...

Last edited:

findtim

Top Contributor
chris c makes some good points, i'm a brandable not a search metrics.

radio test is important to me

I do believe with davidL that many opinions come from people who haven't mown their own lawns but that could also be people just wanting to learn?

most times better to be involved then just lurk, there is also a level of cred, i will pay attention to someone who has been posting more then someone that suddenly jumps out of the bushes, at least i have some grounding of their past opinions and if they are consistant and then they go up another level for me as well.

So i ignore alot of posts, LOL.... i get ignored and i actually do stay out of threads i know i don't know anything about... seriously i do LOL ( it kills me )

tim

Snooks

Top Contributor
most times better to be involved then just lurk, there is also a level of cred, i will pay attention to someone who has been posting more then someone that suddenly jumps out of the bushes, at least i have some grounding of their past opinions and if they are consistant and then they go up another level for me as well.

I agree its better to be involved....once one gains the required knowledge. Until then, i monitor the threads, read closely and learn. I cant really express an opinion because i dont know enough. Hopefully i gain some cred by being smart enough to keep my mouth shut and not argue points i cant validate (lol).

findtim

Top Contributor
I agree its better to be involved....once one gains the required knowledge. Until then, i monitor the threads, read closely and learn. I cant really express an opinion because i dont know enough. Hopefully i gain some cred by being smart enough to keep my mouth shut and not argue points i cant validate (lol).

i suppose you have to start somewhere, i have been slagged offffff mannnyyy times, nore times then anyone knows... its called PM's lol

when your PM runs hot you know you are in trouble lol

snooks, MAN, i had a badddddd week last week, i couldn't do anything right but i can tell you people know where i stand and thats a good thing.

what i meant by i stay out of things is all the AUDA stuff, i haven't got a clue and "section 5a subsection b12" just confuses me

tim

Snooks

Top Contributor
AUDA ....... LOL.......i still dont know what AUDA means (lol).

I get your drift findtim:)

James

Top Contributor
Thing is best appraisal and value is probably to some one in a specific industry where they can see the value, add that with some strong metrics and ore parking/traffic revenue and you have a decent value.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thing is best appraisal and value is probably to some one in a specific industry where they can see the value, add that with some strong metrics and ore parking/traffic revenue and you have a decent value.

"Decent value" or "realistic value"?

The liquid market for a name is unlikely to be someone in the specific industry where they can see the value. That is the long shot sale that we all hope for.

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
i agree its better to be involved....once one gains the required knowledge. Until then, i monitor the threads, read closely and learn. I cant really express an opinion because i dont know enough. Hopefully i gain some cred by being smart enough to keep my mouth shut and not argue points i cant validate (lol).

+1

findtim

Top Contributor
i've found i have learnt more by dipping my toe in and getting trashed, well not so much trashed but geting MORE answers to why i was wrong.

its come up that some members don't want to do that and as you all know by now i am not afraid to state my opinion no matter how off subject i might be... thats just me, so if you aren't as willing to put yourself out there then justttttt try a little.

i think you will find many of my posts start with a statement " i don't know about this but.... heres what i think i know..." and by saying that i have found the responses great, you have put your hand up and at least made an effort with a disclosure of " i'm not sure" , from there i have seen threads grow on a simple sentence i made.

everyone is good at something

tim

djuqa

Top Contributor
auDA == ALL of U DUMB ARSES
Some of their rules/regs. just make no sense given the nature of domaining / domain ownership/ usage.

I am probably in that category of never buying/selling names
Why ?

Optimism!

I am hoping I will get that Million Dollar name:)

Last edited:

shags38

Top Contributor
i've found i have learnt more by dipping my toe in and getting trashed, well not so much trashed but geting MORE answers to why i was wrong.

Bravo Tim - just what I did in the early stages with my 3D tunnel vision - I had a vision, had the passion but was green (greener than now :) ) but was not afraid to voice my opinion and in fact get into some banter with some in here with opposite viewpoints (which turned out to be right ): ) .... and I LEARNED SO MUCH ..... a very good apprenticeship .... the best kind.

By the way I have mellowed greatly ........ still talk a lot but more mellow (I think).

Comments by Chris were spot on, eloquently stated - I am a hand regger in the main. I buy a few here and there and look in at Snapper daily but essentially a hand regger which I have found can be a very expensive exercise if out of control.

LOL - for those that recall the 3D 'thing' have you seen the procession at Snapper .. lol like they say, stay tuned there is more to follow. I try to keep my chin up by I do get a bit teary when I see so many of my hard earned dollars going down the drain - I prefer to use the term 'Resting' as against Dropped ....... one day who knows I may give them the kiss of life ...... nope, will likely have dimentia before then ... before when?

cheers,
Mike

chris

Top Contributor
The famous Einstein quote is "anyone who has never made a mistake has not tried anything new."

I've heard the term "flearn" used a bit lately, referring to fail+learn. The idea is to fail quickly and learn why. I've got the first part down pat so I'm half way there :)

Cheers,
Chris

shags38

Top Contributor
The famous Einstein quote is "anyone who has never made a mistake has not tried anything new."

I've heard the term "flearn" used a bit lately, referring to fail+learn. The idea is to fail quickly and learn why. I've got the first part down pat so I'm half way there :)

Cheers,
Chris

LOL - LOL Gotta luv that sense of humor

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics