What's new

iPhone5?

atom

Administrator
As someone who prefers Android at the monet I find the latest iPhone announcement a bit underwhelming.

Pros: taller display, 4G, faster CPU, lighter, longer battery life (prob not if using 4G though)
Cons: no NFC, no OLED display, taller, new proprietary dock connector, damn expensive and still no expandable RAM

What do you reckon?

whiterabit

are they pros and cons vs the Iphone 4 or say the SG3?

The only reason I ask is that Im on the I3G and looking to upgrade. really shopping around for the best phone at the moment....anyone got any thoughts?

chris

Top Contributor
Cons: no NFC, no OLED display, taller, new proprietary dock connector, damn expensive and still no expandable RAM

What do you reckon?

No NFC is surprising.

It looks like you can pre-order online tomorrow and release in-store on the 21st.

Cheers,
Chris

atom

Administrator
are they pros and cons vs the Iphone 4 or say the SG3?

The only reason I ask is that Im on the I3G and looking to upgrade. really shopping around for the best phone at the moment....anyone got any thoughts?

Pros and cons Vs the iPhone 4S.

It might be over simplifying things a bit, and assuming you don't have a preference between iOS and Android; if you really want 4G then go for the iPhone 5, if you're not too fussed about 4G then personally I reckon the Galaxy S3 is significantly better value (and a great bit of hardware in its own right). Especially if you're haoppy to get it through the likes of Kogan.

I love the S3 and don't miss 4G, but I do have a pretty strong preference for Android as things stand.

payattention

Archived Member
I think most people don't even know what NFC is, not a big issue for their target market. I'm sure they'll add it at a later date and claim it as their own design and how it's going to revolutionise the iPhone or whatever.

I have a Galaxy Nexus but previously had an iPhone 4. Both are great phones but I find the best features of each phone are missing in the other.

The iPhone is much easier to navigate and it's menus are very intuitive. I rarely made navigational mistakes on iOS. Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean on the other hand can be very frustrating to use and just don't feel as intuitive as iOS. On the other hand, you can go outside of Google for your apps and the device isn't locked down like the iPhone. You can add other app sources or run custom firmware like cyanogen.

The thing I don't like about both phones is the increasing dependence on app stores and now.. built in apps. I don't want Facebook on my phone and I no longer want Twitter. Your only option to remove crap in iOS like newstand is to jailbreak and use Cydia to get the app that deletes it. What happens when/if you can no longer jailbreak or use 3rd party apps?

It's my device, it's not Apples call to tell me what I can and can't do on my phone. Apple isn't alone in this though. Android is so reliant on having a Google account and if it's important to you that you give Google no personal data, it's really difficult to ensure the phone is unhinged from them. They might tout knowing I go to such and such shop or cafe at a certain time each day as cool but I don't want them knowing anything about my habits.

findtim

Top Contributor
yep, google is hungry
Android is so reliant on having a Google account and if it's important to you that you give Google no personal data, it's really difficult to ensure the phone is unhinged from them. They might tout knowing I go to such and such shop or cafe at a certain time each day as cool but I don't want them knowing anything about my habits.

not just android but any interaction between google, the dificulty is that we as marketers actually want to do what google ETC do but then don't want it done to us ?

tim

I thought I would report in about the iPhone 5, I picked one up this morning, my initial comments are:
*Call quality is fantastic;
*Speed is awesome;
*Telstra LTE network in Melbourne is super quick;
*Very light;

Lets see how I go over the next little while

atom

Administrator
Thanks for the update Erhan!

Do you find the larger screen (compared with previous iPhones) noticeably nicer to use?

Mat

I thought I would report in about the iPhone 5, I picked one up this morning, my initial comments are:
*Call quality is fantastic;
*Speed is awesome;
*Telstra LTE network in Melbourne is super quick;
*Very light;

Lets see how I go over the next little while
+1 to all this.

I'm coming from the iP3GS.

My intial thought was, it looks fragile. lol The looks are deceptive. It is just as wide as the previous iP4S, but it just looks long and skinny. Yet it really isn't that much longer in overall length.

I found that the extra length of screen makes a difference and I have to learn to hold it slightly differently so i can reach the top of the screen with my thumb. (Maybe I just have small thumbs).

It really does fly. It has iOS6 and is extremely responsive. I took a few pictures; standard, hdr and panorama, and the quality is great. Very fluid when enlarging and minimising etc.

I called my wife and she could straight away the difference in call quality. It was certainly louder on her end as well.

The screen when off appears to much darker and blends in with surround (i purchased the black version).

Haven't really tried out any of the other features yet.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo